Shop keeper wanted; must love Pine Barrens

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sadly, I think it would be really tough to make money in that place today. Just thinking of all the little local businesses that have folded down here in Mays Landing in the past couple years. There was a little sub shop/deli/produce market called Gregorios on Rt 50, kind of a local landmark. About 5 years ago it was sold and the new owner had big plans. They added a bakery/coffee shop and expanded stock to turn it into a full market. Within a year they closed the coffee shop part. I went there frequently and it always seemed to be full of customers, but evidently they just couldn't make money. After three years, they were out of business and it just sits there empty now.

Or the little hardware store Mays Landing, classic old-time hardware with a little bit of everything. I stopped by all the time. A few months ago it was closed with a sign on the window that said "We fought the bank. The bank won."

It's really sad, but all these little places just can't compete with the Wawa, Home Depot and Walmart. And since this is New Jersey, there's always one of those within a 15 minute drive. Sure hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to be optimistic about small business these days. :(

Reactions: dogg57
A lot depends on the financials of the business; not sure how well that was going. She did have a couple running a café a few years back, but apparently did not work out. Being on the national register of historic sites doesn't help. Lots of restrictions probably comes with that.

http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/nrhp/text/04000222.PDF

46er:

A listing in the National Register of Historic Places comes with no restrictions or regulations for the property owner. The American Historic Preservation Act, first passed in 1966, does contain regulatory mechanisms to protect listed or eligible properties from adverse effects precipitated by any governmental entity using federal funds for a project, such as road construction. Likewise, New Jersey has Executive Order mp. 215, which is not nearly as effective as the federal regulations. Property owner restrictions and regulation comes purely from a municipal government, which can pass historic preservation ordinances to regulate what can and cannot be done to a building, structure, site, etc. As far as I know, Woodland Township has not passed such ordinances.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think with 500,000 bucks I'd by 500 acres of land and live in a camper. Something tells me she doesn't really want to let it go and hence the unrealistic price.

There was around a 45 acre parcel for sale in Chatsworth on 532, the east shore of the lake, no building allowed. Sold in a heartbeat. I don't think Marilyn would be very happy living in a gated retirement community.

Unless there is fed money attached to the property.
That is correct. For example, if a building owner used federal tax credits to restore a historic building for a commercial purpose, then the owner is bound by the existing regulations of the AHPA. A good example of this is the Victor Building in Camden, where Philadelphia developer Carl Dranoff took a former industrial building and converted it into an apartment building. If I recall correctly, Dranoff sold 36 million in tax credits to people of means to fund the restoration and adaptive reuse while the purchaser received a large tax credit to offset their tax liability.

I can assure you that there are no federal funds involved with the restoration work at Buzby’s.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
does a stipulation like "NO Building" reduce the property value? You would think it would whenu own and pay taxes on property you can do absolutely nothing with.

If memory is working, I think the asking price was surprisingly low, downright cheap. It is no longer in the listings. I guess you could put a trailer on it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ah, yes, now I remember. A most appropriate handle :D I wonder if he ever got it sold.

I believe he was talking with someone from this site or someone who found out about it from the site.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Well that was before I arrived on the website so I am not to familiar. However I read one of his posts and it contained a photo with his copy rights. That name still is listed on the online tax map. However there is a parcel directly next to his parcel under another name. They both are just over a acre a piece.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Someone say freerider?

I'm still enjoying the east plains ......
image.jpg

Time1865

Dec 4, 2011
Back on in Sept. 2011 I said the only way I could see the store being sold was to someone who had the money to pay cash. The price at that time was $575,000 and now is $500,000. Still no serious buyers. There is no end to the dreamers. Sadly the store fell into disrepair years ago because it could no longer survive in the changing economy. It is no different now and even worse. I wouldn't be surprised if a realistic price isn't more around $350,000.

As a real business there is just no way it could generate enough money cover even a $350,000 mortgage and make a living. At one time I kicked the idea around. The Hedger House couldn't survive and it was a biker bar. Hopefully I'm wrong. One thing for sure is nobody is going to tear the place down for redevelopment. I still have to laugh when I think about that long discussion about the evil empire coming into Chatsworth to destroy the store.