Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
IMG_0620a.jpg

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Should be able to clean that out. If you are going to try to clean under the skin should do it now before it starts to heel. It's going to hurt. If not may always have a black spot there.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Looks close to the surface so it should just grow out as it heals. The only ones I have that didn't involved deep cuts. I would still try to clean it out as unpleasant as it is.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Where I was I"m quite sure there was never a town there but I see that Fruitland is an old name for Atsion.I was west of 206 and more then a mile as the crow flies from the Ranger station. A poison ivy covered morass with surprisingly large trees for an area so close to an iron furnace.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I like the names people give to places to try and make them desirable sound places to settle.The Barrens are not real "fruitful" excepting blueberries and cranberries much like when the Vikings named Greenland which is nothing but an ice covered waste except for a small strip on the southern coast.I think when they named Iceland and then no one wanted to move there they learned better.Iceland is actually a much more hospitable place then Greenland:)

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
manumuskin, When you were Exploring Along The Wesickaman you were in Fruitland
fruitland-jpg.2348
Where I was I"m quite sure there was never a town there but I see that Fruitland is an old name for Atsion.I was west of 206 and more then a mile as the crow flies from the Ranger station. A poison ivy covered morass with surprisingly large trees for an area so close to an iron furnace.

Manumuskin, did you go in from 206 or Three Bridge Road? You are correct there was never a town back there. Fruitland was developed in the 1860s, but it looks like you were northwest of that. However, 20 some years later, in the 1880s, the Raleigh land & Improvement Co, tried again to develop this area. Raleigh laid out lots as far north as the Indian Reservation and as far west as Jackson Road. The stones you are finding more than likely are lots from the Raleigh venture.
I don't think there were any houses built back there either. The interest may have been in the cedar trees or bogs. Are there white cedar in the swamps? Also, the iron industry at Atsion ended around 1840 and the lumber mills in the area were long gone, so the trees may be as old as 180 years.
I can see tree stands being back there. Three Bridge Rd was a good area for deer hunting back then.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, use a stiff wire brush on that black area Jessica has. If she hollers stick a rag in her mouth.

I will tell her Bob but the reprocussions could be more than you want to deal with. She may be 100 pounds but ....................................... well.. just saying :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Manumuskin, did you go in from 206 or Three Bridge Road? You are correct there was never a town back there. Fruitland was developed in the 1860s, but it looks like you were northwest of that. However, 20 some years later, in the 1880s, the Raleigh land & Improvement Co, tried again to develop this area. Raleigh laid out lots as far north as the Indian Reservation and as far west as Jackson Road. The stones you are finding more than likely are lots from the Raleigh venture.
I don't think there were any houses built back there either. The interest may have been in the cedar trees or bogs. Are there white cedar in the swamps? Also, the iron industry at Atsion ended around 1840 and the lumber mills in the area were long gone, so the trees may be as old as 180 years.
I can see tree stands being back there. Three Bridge Rd was a good area for deer hunting back then.
I was here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.756669608577134&lng=-74.73561722438814&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= and the swamp is mostly maple with an occasional big cedar.all the trees are fairly large.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I was here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.756669608577134&lng=-74.73561722438814&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= and the swamp is mostly maple with an occasional big cedar.all the trees are fairly large.

Al, it looks to me like you are not at the Wesickaman Creek but a small stream above it called Mynie Spring that goes down to the Rifle Range area, crosses the QBR at the stone bridge and goes in to the Mullica River above the Lock's Bridge Area. I could be mistaken look at the map on post #65 and see what you think. The name Mynie Spring is hard to read, it may be Mymie or Mynic?

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Actually you may be right.Looking at the topo map and my tracks I never made it to the Wesickaman channel which appears to be west of the ridge which would be the swamp Guy and I crossed a year or so back.I was east of the Ridge which would technically be this Mynie Spring run.There was current here and there but nothing resembling a channel.I don't remember current in the Wesickaman either but everything was frozen solid when we went across. The whole area is quite a wild place.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Your right Al, there is not much current in that one or the Wesickaman. In the summer they are almost at a standstill, no rain no drain. There is a real small one that crosses 206 in front of the mansion then crosses QBR a few hundred feet from 206. The water in this one flows all the time. I’m thinking it may be feed by springs, don’t know for sure. That area where you were in sound like my kind of woods, a wild area with large tree and plenty of Poison Ivy. I don’t get poison Ivy I could take a nap right in the middle of it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It is quite a purty area and poison ivy is actually a beautiful plant,especially in the fall but it'll blister me right up given the opportunity.I would do it again if I had gloves on but the mud was too thick to walk through,if I could of grabbed stuff for support it would have been better but the ivy covered everything available.