Announcing the new NJPB Maps

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thank you Boyd and Guy for your response. I'll never forget seeing the 95 aerials the first time way back in 99(?). I was using a 14K phone modem at that time. I was so delighted and amazed by them. I used to spend a lot of time there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
How is it that HistoricAerials can put a copyright on the maps we view on their site?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If they own them, they can copyright them. They probably purchased them. If not, the copyright may be someone else.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's a grey area of copyright law. I'm sure they're claiming that their images are derivative works based on the way that they're stitched together and the interface to view them.

If the images were originally created for the government then they're in the public domain. The original images, not what HA is showing you.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Exactly what map are you talking about? Some of the NJPB maps are from Google and subject to their terms of use, which say you cannot download them and must only use them within Google's interface. Most of the others are raster imagery that can't be represented as a shapefile.

I offer some free downloadable maps in different formats that might be of interest however. I think this old thread summarizes them: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/detailed-map.11129/#post-135605

The NJDEP has a number of maps in .shp format here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/gis/stateshp.html

Additional maps (vector and raster) are available from NJGIN: https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/DataDownloads.jsp

I have a number of other unfinished map projects and also started building a website to make them available. Unfortunately I had to put this on hold indefinitely to make time for other projects, and I can't promise any date when I might get back to it. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Ruset

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Hey Ben, NJGIN has 2015 imagery available now and it looks pretty nice if you want to add it to NJPB maps. It is very low contrast which may not look so good in a browser, but if you adjust the contrast (in a program like photoshop) the detail is very good. Looks like the clearest view of Brooksbrae that I have seen. :)

Linkage is http://geodata.state.nj.us/imagerywms/Natural2015?

(Note - don't click that link, it's only for use in applications that can connect to WMS servers)

brooksbrae2015.jpg

I should also point out, with the MOBAC software I use for my maps, anyone can directly access and download all the NJGIN imagery and convert it for using on a gps, phone or computer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't see it. Maybe we need to clear the cache???

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben, this is a bit trivial, but FWIW…. If you choose the 2007 imagery then your software only allows zooming in to level 17. That imagery is available through level 19, but even if I manually enter z=19 in the URL it reverts back to level 17.

If anyone cares, level 17 is 3 feet per pixel, level 18 is 1.5 feet per pixel and level 19 is 9 inches per pixel. The newer imagery is shot at 1 foot per pixel, so level 19 shows the full detail. The NJGIN website will also serve it at level 20 but then you are just over-zooming (I see that you have some layers in NJPB maps that allow zooming to level 20 however).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben, I've noticed a radical slowing when loading the aerial maps. I'd like to ensure it is not my computer, but Google Earth is still very fast to use.