Announcing the new NJPB Maps

Discussion in 'Site News & Games' started by Ben Ruset, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

The maps are loading for me - maybe a bit slow, too. If you're trying to load the 1930/95/2002/historic topo/etc. they all come from the NJ Office of GIS server which has been known to slow down every now and then.

Do the topo, satellite, and Boyd's LIDAR load fast?

2. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

I suspect it is the state server. The topo and satellite are loading fast for me.

3. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

The map, regular satellite, regular topo, and Lidar are good.

The historic topo and all other aerials are poor. It does not fill in all the grids, and is very slow.

4. 46er

46er Piney

Those 3 plus Maps are sub-second loads, the rest are 2-3 seconds; perfectly acceptable IMO. If folks generally see slower load times it may be time to reset their modems.

5. Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe Explorer

I have 75 mb FIOS up/down and I am experiencing exactly the same issue. Aerials and historic topo download is slow and usually incomplete. I AM on a Mac using Safari though.

6. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator

This just sounds like the classic issues with NJGIN servers. The maps you are having problems with are all hosted there. Sometimes they seem to have issues over the weekend, perhaps they do network maintenance at those times? But I have lots of problems with them, there are often missing tiles when I download from them. Was working intermittently for me last night in fact.

If you install MOBAC and the NJGIN package I posted, you can directly access their servers from your own computer (in addition to exporting maps in many different formats). That's also a way to find out the source of problems like this. If you have problems with NJPB maps and also have problems with MOBAC, then clearly the NJGIN servers are the problem.

Instructions for installing MOBAC are covered in the first part of this post (you don't need to download my map for this to work). https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...pines-beta-available.5103/page-16#post-142222

Then download the NJGIN file and install as described in this post: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...pines-beta-available.5103/page-16#post-142223