Announcing the new NJPB Maps

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The maps are loading for me - maybe a bit slow, too. If you're trying to load the 1930/95/2002/historic topo/etc. they all come from the NJ Office of GIS server which has been known to slow down every now and then.

Do the topo, satellite, and Boyd's LIDAR load fast?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect it is the state server. The topo and satellite are loading fast for me.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The map, regular satellite, regular topo, and Lidar are good.

The historic topo and all other aerials are poor. It does not fill in all the grids, and is very slow.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The historic topo and all other aerials are poor. It does not fill in all the grids, and is very slow.

I have 75 mb FIOS up/down and I am experiencing exactly the same issue. Aerials and historic topo download is slow and usually incomplete. I AM on a Mac using Safari though.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

This just sounds like the classic issues with NJGIN servers. The maps you are having problems with are all hosted there. Sometimes they seem to have issues over the weekend, perhaps they do network maintenance at those times? But I have lots of problems with them, there are often missing tiles when I download from them. Was working intermittently for me last night in fact.

If you install MOBAC and the NJGIN package I posted, you can directly access their servers from your own computer (in addition to exporting maps in many different formats). That's also a way to find out the source of problems like this. If you have problems with NJPB maps and also have problems with MOBAC, then clearly the NJGIN servers are the problem.

Instructions for installing MOBAC are covered in the first part of this post (you don't need to download my map for this to work). https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...pines-beta-available.5103/page-16#post-142222

Then download the NJGIN file and install as described in this post: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...pines-beta-available.5103/page-16#post-142223

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just a note that Ben has moved my LIDAR map to the NJPB server instead of accessing it via boydsmaps.com. It seems much faster to load now now. However I'm seeing a lot of errors where some NJPB map users are still looking for the data at boydsmaps, which would result in a blank map. We think this is being caused by old, cached data, so if you're having problems viewing the LIDAR map try reloading the page or clear your browser cache if that doesn't work.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I still see some people getting errors tryig to access LIDAR here at NJPB maps. If this happens to you, try just reloading the page. If that doesn't help, you may need to clear your cache. The map files are all stored here on the NJPB server and the LIDAR map should load very quickly. If it doesn't, then your browser is looking for the files in the wrong place.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Your Lidar is super-fast on my machine. Only a tiny fraction of a second, and the entire screen comes up, just like a light going on in a room.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben said he would like to also host the NJGIN imagery locally to speed it up.... Until I told him how big the files would be. :D I estimate that each year of the newer aerials would be around 800gb. They probably have a total of 7 to 8tb of imagery available. Would also need a different kind of server than he is currently using. Just for fun, I looked around and think that would be at least $500/month.

Maybe someday.... :guinness:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I still see some people getting errors tryig to access LIDAR here at NJPB maps.

Looking at yesterday's logs, there are several pages of errors from the NJPB LIDAR map again. Try reloading the page if the LIDAR map doesn't work for you, and if that doesn't help you will probably need to clear your browser cache.

T

Toothy Critter

I can instantly switch from any map to another. My problem is...how do I mark a spot on the map and then include it into a post ? You must understand... I am real old school. :(

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Let me explain with a little more detail. First, choose the map you want and zoom in to your desired level. Drag the "pushpin" to the spot you want to mark. Sometimes the pin disappears - if that happens, reload the page in your browser and it should reappear with your desired location in the middle of the screen.

map1.png

If everything looks right, click on the page address in the box at the top of your browser window, shown in blue in the example below. Copy this address using the Edit > Copy menu in the browser or just press Control-C on Windows or Cmd-C on the Mac.

map2.png

Now just paste that address into your post using the Edit > Paste menu (Control-V on Windows or Cmd-V) on the Mac. This is what you will end up with - a link that anyone can click to see the same map

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.70391184036872&lng=-74.5270969311523&z=15&type=topo&gpx=