RAIN?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Passed to our west. They are along a cold front that will give us 60's and a tad lower humidity tomorrow :dance: And then it rains tomorrow night. Or so they say :rolleyes:

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
The weather was decent during the day (while i was working, naturally) but the downpours began shortly after I got home. Planning on doing a little exploring in the area of Batsto tower- washington tpk- penn swamp rd tomorrow. Hopefully the roads and trails aren't too squishy. Last time i tried to drive down goodwater road in that area, it was totally impassable due to downed trees, but that was over a month ago. Will report back on conditions if there's anything worth a mention.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Went out to the woods to watch the storm arrive, sky got dark in the North, heard distant thunder. But it never got here, it blew off to the West. Just started getting some very light sprinkles now.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
The weather was decent during the day (while i was working, naturally) but the downpours began shortly after I got home. Planning on doing a little exploring in the area of Batsto tower- washington tpk- penn swamp rd tomorrow. Hopefully the roads and trails aren't too squishy. Last time i tried to drive down goodwater road in that area, it was totally impassable due to downed trees, but that was over a month ago. Will report back on conditions if there's anything worth a mention.

Goodwater was clear last weekend, that general area you just mentioned was decent for travel, even up through mount

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was nice in the barrens this morning. Very quiet where we were. I should have known about this well but didn't until stumbling on it today.

IMG_1736a.jpg

They sure do have a strange looking head.

IMG_1741a.jpg

This was not happy at all we were there. It rattled it's tail just like a rattlesnake which did not scare us at all. We knew better.

IMG_1745a.jpg

Guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This was not happy at all we were there. It rattled it's tail just like a rattlesnake which did not scare us at all. We knew better.

I ran into one of these for the first time a couple weeks ago - right on the edge of my yard. All coiled up and it made a loud noise, but didn't really sound like the rattler I encountered many years ago. It looks like the noise is made by a "whipping" action. It was very aggressive... or at least stubborn. Would not run away when prodded by a stick. Glad that this has been discussed here or it might have fooled me... but I knew better. ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Wow, they have really ratcheted up the rain forecast for today and tonight!

Today
New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Tonight
New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Wow, they have really ratcheted up the rain forecast for today and tonight!

Yep, we were going to head down to Millville for the races. Sunny & clear here right now. Having another cup of coffee instead. The new genset enclosure is getting some good water infiltration testing with these rain events.

The Flash Flood Watch continues for

* Northeastern Maryland, Delaware, southeastern Pennsylvania,
southern New Jersey and parts of central New Jersey.

* From 2:00 PM this afternoon through late tonight.

* Heavy rain is expected from this afternoon into this evening.
Rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches are forecast. Much of the rain
is expected to fall over a period of only a few hours.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Weather has been OK for me here, little pockets or rain all over the place yesterday, but none of them hit me. Temperatures in the 80’s and there was a nice breeze. A bit more wind today - it makes the warm/humid weather much more bearable and also helps to keep the mosquitoes and flies away. This time of year, I like any day with a temperature below 90. :)

What I don’t like is the warm nights and it looks like those are here to stay for awhile. On a 60 degree night I open up all the windows and close them in the morning. House stays nice and cool on a 90 degree day.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
More rain on the way....

Tonight
Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Wednesday
Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Wednesday Night
Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday
Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Storm went through about 2:57AM and just as the rain and wind started there was some sort of electrical explosion right outside my window. Looked out but did not see anything. No thunder or lightning at all.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That sounds like a transformer circuit breaker tripping, but if it did you would not have power.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
New forecast calls for much less rain.

Today
New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch

Tonight
New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch

Thursday