Beta Test the New NJPineBarrens.com

Oct 25, 2006
That's weird. I had other people load the site with IE6 and it was fine.

Very odd. There's really nothing special about this new site vs. the old one except for different colors.

Ben

For one day, IE6 worked great, but, every now and then i have issues with IE6, no problems whatsoever anytime with Firefox, go figure. IE7 was even worse.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I used Boot Camp and went to your site using IE6. I opened photo’s in the Rockwood article, in my Gallery, and went to various forums and it worked flawlessly.

One thing I did notice that in Windows it is so very easy to see the difference between visited and unvisited links. Until you view it in a Mac you will never understand the color similarities and size problems I am seeing. The size differences from bold and not bold are striking in Windows and minimal on the Mac.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I again booted into boot Camp and accessed the site directly into the forums using the IE 6.0.2900.2180 version. I had no problem.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Ben

I will use Firefox, that is the answer on my end, i just uploaded pics from an outing today, in Firefox it' quick, in IE 6 or Ie7 it's slow as hell, maybe my explorer is corrupted.

Jim

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Guy:

I think it's because Mac's don't have the font that the site is trying to display in - Trebuchet MS. It's then set to fall back to Lucida Grande, Verdana, Arial, and barring that, a generic Sans-Serif font.

I just took the old font list from the old design, tacked Trebuchet on the front, and hopefully that will make a difference.

Oct 25, 2006
Signed off of Firefox, rebooted ,went to IE6, same thing, freeze up, hourglass on screen , site no response, clicked on 50 times to end program, control, alt, delete, shut computer off then back on, Firefox is my answer, i would rather use it anyway.
I just broke out the beer, ice cold, time for a trip report from Saturday and Sunday, after a few cold ones.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Ok, try it one more time. I got rid of the rounded edges - the only other thing I changed on the site.

Ben

just tried it on IE6, will load the front page to Guy's Rockwood story, but just the left side of the page, nada on the right side, but no more hourglass, i can click out of the program now, i am no longer getting a page not responding,, control, alt and delete now work, at the top right of the page the middle square between the minus and the plus though is graying out. Do not have to shut the computer off anymore.
I will stay with Firefox.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Ben

I just redownloaded IE7, everything is working and looking great. No problems on my mail, downloading, uploading, i cannot figure it, a month ago i had to take it out because of major problems

Jim

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Well, I'm still in the same sorry situation using IE6. I browse via my work laptop, so going from IE6 to IE7 is not an option right now. In addition, I really don't want to keep FireFox installed, because as soon as I have an issue, our Desktop Support folks will blame it on that.

So, I've resolved myself to entering via the main site first, then clicking to the Forums. It's an extra step, however not that big of a deal.

BTW Jerseyman, your response almost sounds to me like you believe that people are giving a hard time about the site changes. I don't believe that anyone is doing that, myself included. All I did was mention an issue that I started having at the same time the site was changed/altered. I have a workaround, so it's not big deal, although I am a bit curious as to what caused the issue. Coincidence..... possibly? At any rate, I'm all in favor of making the site better, faster, etc.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy:

I think it's because Mac's don't have the font that the site is trying to display in - Trebuchet MS. It's then set to fall back to Lucida Grande, Verdana, Arial, and barring that, a generic Sans-Serif font.

I just took the old font list from the old design, tacked Trebuchet on the front, and hopefully that will make a difference.

What it did do was make the fonts right here in this field where I am typing this posts smaller. Not much, and it actually makes it nice. The fonts in the post themselves are really nice, but the links are still about the same. To me it is a color thing and that just may be me. If I hold my hand over one eye and then switch, the color is completely different from each other. So there is a color problem on my end.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Okay, well, I'm going to stop worrying about things.

I just checked the logs and I'm getting just as many hits, if not more, from IE6 people. IE7 is closely catching up. Firefox is in 3rd place, followed by Safari.

Thanks for everyone's help.