Lock's Bridge

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don,
Thoughts;
"History of Shinn Family" Auther:Josiah Shinn p.79
Children of Caleb and Mehitable (Curtis) Shinn. (Caleb b.? married 1739 d.1752)
https://archive.org/stream/documentsrelatin32newj#page/290/mode/2up
Read his will! Thomas Atkinson innholder

76. (1) John Shinn, who married (1) Amy Griffith 1767; (2) Sarah Jones 1780.
77. (2) Henry Shinn, who married Anna Fort 1770.(http://www.geni.com/people/Mary-Ann-Anna-Fort/4768129757790080324)
78. (3) Caleb Shinn‑‑ob sine proli.
79. (4) Mehitable Shinn, who married Ebenezer Doty 1779.
80. (5) Mary Shinn, who married Jacob Lamb 1768.

Could this been the Henry (#77)we are looking for as a tavern keeper 1782? According to the book, his father is not a devout Quaker like many of the Shinn family?
Willy

Yes Willy, he maybe?
77. HENRY SHINN (4).‑‑CALEB (3), JOHN (2), JOHN (1).
Henry Shinn, son of Caleb and Mehitabel (Curtis) Shinn, born in Burlington County, New Jersey; married there, in 1770, Anna Fort, and removed to Gloucester County. He had several children, but I have been enabled to find but one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
It appears Henry and Mary Shinn had a son Henry. The following map indicates a Henry Shin living on Egg Harbor Road in Winslow. Unfortunately this map is from 1857 - 75 years after the saw mill ad that referenced Henry Shinn. I realize that it may be a long-shot but what would be the odds that this could be the son or grandson.
1857 map of Camden County - Winslow detail b.jpg 1857 map of Camden County - Winslow detail a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
It appears Henry and Mehitabel Shinn had a son Henry. The following map indicates a Henry Shin living on Egg Harbor Road in Winslow. Unfortunately this map is from 1857 - 75 years after the saw mill ad that referenced Henry Shinn. I realize that it may be a long-shot but what would be the odds that this could be the son or grandson.
View attachment 5883 View attachment 5885

217. HENRY SHINN (5).‑‑HENRY (4), CALEB (3), JOHN (2), JOHN (1).
Henry, son of Henry and Ann (Fort) Shinn, born 1781; married Hannah Warner, of Tuckahoe, N. J., where he lived for many years, engaged in teaming; moved to Ohio, but did not like the new country; returned to Winslow, N. J.; purchased a farm and lived upon it until his death, in April, 1858. The children were:
655. (1) Ann Shinn (6), b. 1801, in New Jersey; m. James Southard, and had one
child, Mary, who married a Mr. Rhubart.

Reactions: Tracker Jim

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
Henry, son of Henry and Ann (Fort) Shinn, born 1781; married Hannah Warner, of Tuckahoe, N. J., where he lived for many years, engaged in teaming; moved to Ohio, but did not like the new country; returned to Winslow, N. J.; purchased a farm and lived upon it until his death, in April, 1858. The children were:
Don.
Any idea where/when Henry (Sr) died? I have looked though calendar of wills up to 1817 and no Henry was listed. Could he have traveled to Ohio like so many others?
willy

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills

Jim, could not find a Henry, but other children were:
Ann Shinn
1801 –

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don.
Any idea where/when Henry (Sr) died? I have looked though calendar of wills up to 1817 and no Henry was listed. Could he have traveled to Ohio like so many others?
willy

Henry Shinn
Birth 1744 in Burlington, Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Death 10 Jan 1819 in Gloucester, New Jersey, United States

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
It appears Henry and Mehitabel Shinn had a son Henry. The following map indicates a Henry Shin living on Egg Harbor Road in Winslow. Unfortunately this map is from 1857 - 75 years after the saw mill ad that referenced Henry Shinn. I realize that it may be a long-shot but what would be the odds that this could be the son or grandson.
View attachment 5883 View attachment 5885

Tracker Jim, it looks like Henry Jr. may be your man in Winslow in 1857:

Henry Shinn
Birth: 1781
Death: 1858 - Winslow, Camden, NJ (New Jersey)
Marriage: 1800 - Tuckahoe, Cape May, New Jersey
Spouse: Hannah Warner
tree.gif
F: Henry Shinn

M: Mary Ann "Anna" Fort

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
Here is an excerpt from a document concerning a legal battle between William Richards and the Atsion Company:

“That said Henry Drinker and John Drinker about 5 years ago, when the said saw mill and dam commonly called and known by the name of Estells mill on the said Atsion River had decayed and fallen down, about the space of 2 years ago did not rebuild the same mill, but afterwards repaired and kept up the dam thereof, and still do keep up the same and did build there a certain water lock to facilitate the transportation of certain boats up and down the Atsion stream to the utter subversion of said agreement as aforesaid and heretofore subsisting between the aforesaid Charles Read and John Estell and contrary to the spirit and design of said recited act and said defendants by their frequent use of said lock in drawing the water constantly, twice of thrice a week, instead of 3 or 4 times a year as formerly in the time of John Estell, this Complainants ore beds below said lock are frequently hindered in their business by the flow of water, owing partly to the junction of the Mechescatuxen stream with the Atsion stream by means of the canal, aforesaid and multiplying thereby the waters in Atsion Stream, in so much, that the said frequent use of said lock by the defendants amounts to a prohibition to the works at Batsto and also to the subtraction of the waters of the Mechescatuxen Branch, to the injury of the Complainants mill seat.”

Lots of goodies here!

The text seems to suggest that the Drinkers did not construct a new mill at the site of Estell's old mill, but why would they have maintained the dam in that case? Jerseyman, have you any thoughts or information on this?

Pinelandpaddler,
What is the date on the document? From Tracker Jim's notes I found this:
  • On January 23, 1793,after many years of friction between William Richards of Batsto and the Atsion Company, a board of arbitrators composed of Elijah Clark, John Gauntt, Joseph Willcox, Lewis Darling, and John Lacey regarding timber rights on certain tracts and ore rights on the Estell tract and free use of the Atsion River. BC deeds, Book C, p. 336
  • Have you read this deed or agreement?

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Hi Folks,
Last night I was setting here in Ocean City going through my computer files while waiting for the rain to stop. (Anytime they need rain in Ocean City they call and ask me to come on down.) I found this translation I made several years ago of the 1793 award between Wm Richards owner of Batsto Iron Works and Henry Drinker, Joseph Salter, and John Drinker owners of the Atsion Iron Works (BC clerk's office, book C, page 336). I know that some may have already read it, but for those who have not or may want to read it again.

Award between Wm Richards and the Atsion Company
Know all men by these present, that whereas William Richards owner of Batsto Iron works land and estate there to belonging and Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, and John Drinker owners of Atsion Iron works land and estate appertaining there to, have by their bonds bearing dated the twenty third day of January One thousand seven hundred & ninety three, (January 23, 1793) bound and obligated themselves, heirs, executors and administrators in all things well and true to hand, to obey, abide, perform, fulfill, and keep, the award order arbitrement final end and determination of Elijah Clark, John Gaunt, Joseph Willcox, Lewis Darnel, & John Lacey, or any three of them arbitrators indifferently chosen & elected, as well on the part and behalf of the said William Richards, as of Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, & John Drinker, to arbitrate & determine of and concerning all matters in variance between the said William Richards and the said Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, & John Drinker and of and concerning of all manner of action & actions cause or causes of actions Bills, Bonds, toessiafses accounts damages and demands whatsoever at any time hereafter under the hand and seal of the said arbitrators or any three of them, and ready to be delivered to the said parties indifference on or before the twenty third day of July next insuring the day of the date of the said obligation, reference being there to had will more at large appear. And whereas we the said arbitrators aforesaid chosen & named having taken upon us burthen of the said award and having named the said parties, their evidence and their allegations touching the premises aforesaid and after having duly considered the same do hereby give forth this our award & determination there on --- as follows ~
First, we do award, and order, that all actions or suits in law heretofore had or depending by or between the said parties, shall henceforth séace and determine.
Secondly we do award that all the wood now standing on a survey the Atsion Company holds under Josiah Foster laying on the Southerly side of Egg Harbor road and adjoining a forty seven acre survey belonging to the said William Richards and also the wood of fifty acres to be laid off from survey made to Atsion Company on the northerly side of the aforesaid road and adjoining a survey belonging to the Earls the said fifty acres beginning at a Pine tree by the side of the said road marked H D and to be laid off in as a compact a body from said beginning as the shape of the survey will permit.
Thirdly we do further award that the right of the said William Richards to the ore within the deputed & established bounds of John Estell’s surveys (at the time the said Estell conveyed the same to (Charles Read) is good and valid to the same William Richards and that no survey made or to be made within the said Estill’s line can be invalidate upon or destroy the same.
Fourthly we do further award that the Atsion Company shall have a free & uninterrupted passage down & up the Atsion River with their boat they assisting the said William Richards & being at a mutual & equal expense & charges with him in writing and repairing from time to time such banks and domes along the banks of the said river as will prevent the water when they draw for their own use from overflowing the beds of ore and preventing the razing and casting off the same --- and in case the said Atsion Company shall neglect or refuse to send hands to do the work when legally notified by the said William Richards he may cause the said dam or dams to be made & repaired at his own cost & charges, and the said Atsion Company shall pay one half of the same --- Subject to a reasonable adjustment there on to be made by indifferent persons to be chosen by the said parties for the purpose.
Fifthly and lastly we do award that the Atsion Company do pay unto the said William Richards the sum of five pounds ten schilling being the expense of a former arbitration and further cost having accrued respecting the premises – exclusive of the book accounts of the said parties.

That was not the end of it, in 1796 they were back in court again.
Supreme Court of Judicature of the State of New Jersey
( May Term 1796)
Richards against Drinker, Salter and others
This was an action of debt, brought on a bond the 23rd day of January, 1793, in the penalty of 1000 lbs conditioned for the performance of an award. Salter alone was taken. The defendant, after oyer, pleaded that no award was made. The bond was proved
etc.........

This may not have been the end of it either, I believe, but not sure they were back in court in 1799? I don't have any record of this on hand and its been about 10 years since I looked into this lawsuit.

Don

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
Hi Folks,
Last night I was setting here in Ocean City going through my computer files while waiting for the rain to stop. (Anytime they need rain in Ocean City they call and ask me to come on down.) I found this translation I made several years ago of the 1793 award between Wm Richards owner of Batsto Iron Works and Henry Drinker, Joseph Salter, and John Drinker owners of the Atsion Iron Works (BC clerk's office, book C, page 336). I know that some may have already read it, but for those who have not or may want to read it again.

Award between Wm Richards and the Atsion Company
Know all men by these present, that whereas William Richards owner of Batsto Iron works land and estate there to belonging and Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, and John Drinker owners of Atsion Iron works land and estate appertaining there to, have by their bonds bearing dated the twenty third day of January One thousand seven hundred & ninety three, (January 23, 1793) bound and obligated themselves, heirs, executors and administrators in all things well and true to hand, to obey, abide, perform, fulfill, and keep, the award order arbitrement final end and determination of Elijah Clark, John Gaunt, Joseph Willcox, Lewis Darnel, & John Lacey, or any three of them arbitrators indifferently chosen & elected, as well on the part and behalf of the said William Richards, as of Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, & John Drinker, to arbitrate & determine of and concerning all matters in variance between the said William Richards and the said Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, & John Drinker and of and concerning of all manner of action & actions cause or causes of actions Bills, Bonds, toessiafses accounts damages and demands whatsoever at any time hereafter under the hand and seal of the said arbitrators or any three of them, and ready to be delivered to the said parties indifference on or before the twenty third day of July next insuring the day of the date of the said obligation, reference being there to had will more at large appear. And whereas we the said arbitrators aforesaid chosen & named having taken upon us burthen of the said award and having named the said parties, their evidence and their allegations touching the premises aforesaid and after having duly considered the same do hereby give forth this our award & determination there on --- as follows ~
First, we do award, and order, that all actions or suits in law heretofore had or depending by or between the said parties, shall henceforth séace and determine.
Secondly we do award that all the wood now standing on a survey the Atsion Company holds under Josiah Foster laying on the Southerly side of Egg Harbor road and adjoining a forty seven acre survey belonging to the said William Richards and also the wood of fifty acres to be laid off from survey made to Atsion Company on the northerly side of the aforesaid road and adjoining a survey belonging to the Earls the said fifty acres beginning at a Pine tree by the side of the said road marked H D and to be laid off in as a compact a body from said beginning as the shape of the survey will permit.
Thirdly we do further award that the right of the said William Richards to the ore within the deputed & established bounds of John Estell’s surveys (at the time the said Estell conveyed the same to (Charles Read) is good and valid to the same William Richards and that no survey made or to be made within the said Estill’s line can be invalidate upon or destroy the same.
Fourthly we do further award that the Atsion Company shall have a free & uninterrupted passage down & up the Atsion River with their boat they assisting the said William Richards & being at a mutual & equal expense & charges with him in writing and repairing from time to time such banks and domes along the banks of the said river as will prevent the water when they draw for their own use from overflowing the beds of ore and preventing the razing and casting off the same --- and in case the said Atsion Company shall neglect or refuse to send hands to do the work when legally notified by the said William Richards he may cause the said dam or dams to be made & repaired at his own cost & charges, and the said Atsion Company shall pay one half of the same --- Subject to a reasonable adjustment there on to be made by indifferent persons to be chosen by the said parties for the purpose.
Fifthly and lastly we do award that the Atsion Company do pay unto the said William Richards the sum of five pounds ten schilling being the expense of a former arbitration and further cost having accrued respecting the premises – exclusive of the book accounts of the said parties.

That was not the end of it, in 1796 they were back in court again.
Supreme Court of Judicature of the State of New Jersey
( May Term 1796)
Richards against Drinker, Salter and others
This was an action of debt, brought on a bond the 23rd day of January, 1793, in the penalty of 1000 lbs conditioned for the performance of an award. Salter alone was taken. The defendant, after oyer, pleaded that no award was made. The bond was proved
etc.........

This may not have been the end of it either, I believe, but not sure they were back in court in 1799? I don't have any record of this on hand and its been about 10 years since I looked into this lawsuit.

Don
Don,
Thank you for posting this.
Willy

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Folks,
For anyone interest. I was wondering if now would be a good time to explore lock's Bridge while the water is this low? I know there was questions on how the lock was built and someone was talking about a possible bog iron foundation along the bank, I think they said downstream a little. In any event who knows what is visible now. I can't get back there but maybe someone else would be interested.
Don

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Folks,
For anyone interest. I was wondering if now would be a good time to explore lock's Bridge while the water is this low? I know there was questions on how the lock was built and someone was talking about a possible bog iron foundation along the bank, I think they said downstream a little. In any event who knows what is visible now. I can't get back there but maybe someone else would be interested.
Don
A good idea Don.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was just upstream from Hawkins Bridge today on the Tulpehocken and the water was extremely low. This area is usually completely covered over and flowing.

IMG_1500.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Teegate,

I watched the South River head drop a foot in a couple weeks, after decent stream flow through the summer.

Tracker Jim,

I like long shots, so here are a couple added clues to stir the pot. Even if unrelated, the information provided may be useful towards other pursuits.

Note how Old Forks Road in Hammonton makes a bee-line starting from Winslow, Shinn’s hamlet, to Desolation Pond (my favorite spung name). One day Uncle Budd pointed out the window and said he was told the eighteenth century building still standing in the point between Myrtle Street and Union Road was once a tavern. An ancient trail marker tree grows nearby in association.

Old Forks Road, now Columbia Road (for a Nesco tavern) continues on to Westcoatville, Nescochague (translates to “wet, grassy, and muddy” by Becker 1964: 48, probably another spung), thence to the Forks of the Mullica and eventually Egg Harbor.

Screen shot 2015-09-07 at 12.16.12 AM.png

More provocative, a Middle Road strikes northward from the old tavern candidate, I’d like to think towards Rockwood judging by the LiDAR record by circling around the Great Swamp by heading toward Pestletown first. Any guess as to Rockwood's antiquity?

Desolation Pond evokes one wild landscape. If not a tavern, then perhaps this was a charcoal station (which were tavern-like). Centered between Blue Anchor/Winslow and Westcoatville/Nesco the area around Desolation Pond would make a serviceable watering hole (brewski for me). I hope this isn't too speculative, but this site is about adventure.

S-M

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Any guess as to Rockwood's antiquity?

S-M

Spung-man,

Charles Green Rockwood purchased Rockwood from Joseph Wharton and various other owners in the 1887 and 1888 time frame. I have the info on the purchases but have to dig it up. I am uncertain if there were bogs there before that but I would think there wasn't.

Three of the Rockwood Property stones.

IMG_4617.JPG

rockwood.JPG

This one is 1888

rockwood1.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Spung-man,

I am uncertain if there were bogs there before that but I would think there wasn't.

Rockwood bog appears to be the remnants of a big spung called "Goose Pond". See:

The 1872 Beers map shows a large spung about where Rockwood is, a location that likely has 14,000 years of transhumance. I also like how Hammonton's planners (incl. Landis) planned major roads to develop farms up to Rockwood. Two Desolation Pond buildings at the suspected tavern site are in the Shoemaker estate in 1872.

Screen shot 2015-09-07 at 10.01.19 AM.png

The 1887 Cook/Vermeule map indicates cranberry culture is already established at Rockwood about where the Goose Pond was. Note that the old trails all seem to head to Nesco's New Columbia Tavern, hence all the Columbia Roads (some of which are King's Roads). The Blue Anchor and New Columbia taverns were super truck stops on the way to Egg Harbor, while the others might be thought of as mini-marts.

Screen shot 2015-09-07 at 10.01.07 AM.png

Anyone have a name for the spungs below West Mills?

Also note spungs at the suspected tavern site:

It is possible that I have Desolation Pond in the wrong place, or even that the ponds were collectively called Desolation Ponds like the Lee Ponds.

S-M

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Spung-man,

Here is a map from docements that were made up showing every purchase that eventually found it's way into Rockwood's possession. It shows what most likely is Goose Pond. That tract is from 1762 and I can tell you from what I have found out there the pond is long gone. I know the locations of most of those corners. The Hog Island shown to the left of there is gone also.

rock1.jpg

The first two purchases that had Rockwoods name on them were from 1871. Here is one of them. So the town was most likely already there when the 1887 Cook map was made which it reflects.

Rock2.jpg

Guy

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Many thanks, great survey! By 1762 the Rockwood area is being singled out for its utility. I assume North is up since Batsto lands are to the right.

The distance between Plymouth and Hammonton Roads is about a half-mile (2640’), so the 1872 Beers map Goose Pond is ~40 acres in size.

The Leeds & Garwood Pond is much smaller in size (maybe 5 acres?); either much of the pond has already drained, the survey depiction is way off scale, or it shows another spung or even another island. I assume Hog Island was a giant sand dune that was mined for embankment construction.

On the 1872 Beers map the Goose Pond is south of Sycamore Road and Mechesactauxin Branch, and on the survey Goose Pond appears north of both Sycamore Street and Mechescatuxen Branch.

Are both Mechesactauxin Branches the same? Was Sycamore realigned?

The landscape has changed so much! During the Ice Age, the swampland between Atsion and Hammonton was sculpted by brief but devastating snowmelt flooding over frozen ground like we see in the High Arctic today. There was no place for water to go after a July or August rainstorm but sideways creating incredibly wide high-energy braided channels. Frozen ground is as hard as rock, making for an impervious surface.

Screen shot 2015-09-07 at 3.20.04 PM.png

(reproduced here as a government document not subject to copyright restrictions)​

Newell WL, Wyckoff JS. 1992. Paleohydrology of four watersheds in the New Jersey Coastal Plain. In Gohn GS. (ed.), Proceedings of the 1988 U.S. Geological Survey Workshop on the Geology and Geohydrology of the Atlantic Coastal Plain. United States Geological Survey, Circular 1059, Washington, DC, p. 26.

Palmer's dissertation pointed out that this braided channel microtopography provided critical habit for rare plants.

Palmer MI. 2005. The Effects of Microtopography on Environmental Conditions, Plant Performance, and Plant Community Structure in Fens of the New Jersey Pinelands. PhD dissertation, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ. 159 pp.
S-M

Last edited: