Lock's Bridge

Jerseyman,

Would these have been "flash locks"?

Gabe:

Are you referring to a lock similar to the ones that Josiah White invented for navigating the Lehigh River? White's invention, known as Bear Trap Locks, consisted of two high stone walls constructed in the river with the walls open in the back to receive the boat and with gates in the front. When enough water had collected under the boat inside the lock, the gates would open and the boat would ride the artificial freshet down to the next lock in the system. This method allowed coal boxes or arks to travel down the Lehigh before the Lehigh Coal & Navigation had constructed much in the way of artificial waterways.

Let me know what's on your mind.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I'm referring to the locks that once existed at Estell's mill on Atsion Creek. I'm wondering what they would have looked like and how they functioned.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Here is an excerpt from a document concerning a legal battle between William Richards and the Atsion Company:

“That said Henry Drinker and John Drinker about 5 years ago, when the said saw mill and dam commonly called and known by the name of Estells mill on the said Atsion River had decayed and fallen down, about the space of 2 years ago did not rebuild the same mill, but afterwards repaired and kept up the dam thereof, and still do keep up the same and did build there a certain water lock to facilitate the transportation of certain boats up and down the Atsion stream to the utter subversion of said agreement as aforesaid and heretofore subsisting between the aforesaid Charles Read and John Estell and contrary to the spirit and design of said recited act and said defendants by their frequent use of said lock in drawing the water constantly, twice of thrice a week, instead of 3 or 4 times a year as formerly in the time of John Estell, this Complainants ore beds below said lock are frequently hindered in their business by the flow of water, owing partly to the junction of the Mechescatuxen stream with the Atsion stream by means of the canal, aforesaid and multiplying thereby the waters in Atsion Stream, in so much, that the said frequent use of said lock by the defendants amounts to a prohibition to the works at Batsto and also to the subtraction of the waters of the Mechescatuxen Branch, to the injury of the Complainants mill seat.”

Lots of goodies here!

The text seems to suggest that the Drinkers did not construct a new mill at the site of Estell's old mill, but why would they have maintained the dam in that case? Jerseyman, have you any thoughts or information on this?

Gabe:

Drinkers apparently maintained the mill dam to provide enough water for downstream navigation, i.e., the boats rode a flow of water down the river. Based on reading the narrative, it sounds like Drinkers frequently navigated the Atsion, wreaking havoc on the ore beds by overflowing them with the same wave of water that carried the boat.

The textual qualities of this court document stem from it originating with the pen of an attorney. Hinchmans Hill could probably address this matter with more authority.

I am still working on addressing you question about the lock. It appears the phrase "flash lock" is of British origin; hence my lack of familiarity with the term.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Don Catts
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thanks, Jerseyman! Would it not have been easier to have simply removed the dam? Rebuilding the dam and constructing the lock seems like an awfully lot of unnecessary work. Just thinking aloud here....

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Perhaps a silly question, but where would these boats have been headed, and for what purpose? Arthur Pierce suggested that the lock was used by ore boats headed to Batsto Furnace, but the aforesaid (hehe) legal document would seem to preclude this notion.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jerseyman and those interested,

I've been thinking more about this, and I have some ideas and observations.

Pierce may not have been wrong after all. Perhaps the original lock in Estell's dam was utilized by Batsto-bound ore boats prior to 1774, when the furnace at Atsion was constructed. The Atsion Co. built a new lock at the same location in 1792, and it was the company's boats which then utilized the lock:

"We do further award that the said Atsion Co. shall have a free and uninterrupted passage down and up the Atsion river, with their boats, they assisting the said William Richards and being at a mutual and equal expense and charge with him in erecting and repairing from time to time, such banks and dams along the bank of the said river, as will prevent the water, when they draw for their own use from over flowing the beds of ore..."

I wonder if these "banks and dams along the bank" were ever made?

Also, I'm wondering if perhaps the chief reason the Atsion Co. rebuilt Estell's dam was to raise the ore that would have formed in the pond. Thoughts?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I am following this closely Gabe, but am getting (have been) confused as to what lock, dam, forge, furnace was where. The fact that some seem to have had different names over time doesn't help. For the sake of this thread was Estell's lock-dam located here?
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.72193686301651&lng=-74.69320077102662&z=16&type=nj1995&gpx=

Your previous question wasn't silly since Atsion and Batsto were at odds.

Now more in general has anyone, would anyone place all of these on a map, perhaps with alternate names? It's the old Washington Forge - Lower Forge issue.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Yes, Ed, that's the location of the Atsion lock. Here's what we know:

The dam and lock was originally constructed by John Estelle around 1765. The dam was rebuilt in 1792 by the Atsion Co. They also constructed a new lock. Whether or not another mill was ever rebuilt there is unknown. I'd like to think that someone (probably) Samuel Richards later built some sort of works there, but I haven't yet come across evidence that there was ever another mill there, let alone a forge as Pierce asserted.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I think it maybe the dimension of time layered over the locations. The time between the Batsto complaint in post 87 and the original Estelle Mill. Also the use of the word "lock". A lock to me meant a way to raise or lower a boat between two different levels of water, but I got the impression that at one time a large amount of water was used to flush a barge down stream (flash lock?). See Jerseyman's post # 91.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Ed, we're looking at 1799 for this particular legal battle between Atsion and Batsto. I'm not sure what sort of lock we're looking at. A flash lock, as opposed to a pound lock, seems to make more sense, given William Richards' complaint.