1st of the season

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
A few days ago on the way home from Wharton I was headed south on 54 and I could see a big fire smoke cloud to the SW of Hammonton and west of about Newtonville.I imagine that was a controlled burn since I heard no news about it.Looked like it may have been the western edge of Williamstown WMA?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Either the smoke expanded alot or this thing is burning fast. Alot bigger area now on 46ers links from this morning.

The winds have shifted to the west now, which would spread any smoke eastward; but I see no smoke plume on that hazard map. Maybe the rain cleared it.

However, it looks like Central America and Cuba are burning up :eek:

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
They say that the fire has spread to 10,000 acres. That's 15.625 square miles. From Spring Hill to RT 72 at Coyle Field is about 4 miles. From Red Rd to Shoal Branch is about 4 miles. Not knowing the true direction the fire is spreading, it could be west of Shoal Branch to Bailey Rd. We just have wait.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I think the investigation is ongoing but they likely know exactly where it started. Would it surprise anyone if it turns out that it started at a known 'party' spot in the woods? Where people gather, drink beer, light bonfires from pallets and other scrap wood? No? Maybe it was lightning, then.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They show a photo of Spring Hill on the news and say that it where it started.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was at Spring Hill today, at that spot. Quite a mess on top of that hill. The shocking blue reflection of beer cans etc.

But it is odd that there was evidence of fire all the way there from Sims place.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was at Spring Hill today, at that spot. Quite a mess on top of that hill. The shocking blue reflection of beer cans etc.

But it is odd that there was evidence of fire all the way there from Sims place.
That probably because of the back fires. Just a guess though.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That probably because of the back fires. Just a guess though.

Yes, it's puzzling. I was in the woods the day the fire started, over by Shoal Branch. The winds were strong out of the SSW. I thought backfires would have been set to meet the fire, not to catch up with it. But it does kind of make sense, what they did. It was a way to protect Warren Grove--if the winds shifted just a little bit they'd be in danger.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes, it's puzzling. I was in the woods the day the fire started, over by Shoal Branch. The winds were strong out of the SSW. I thought backfires would have been set to meet the fire, not to catch up with it. But it does kind of make sense, what they did. It was a way to protect Warren Grove--if the winds shifted just a little bit they'd be in danger.
A forest fire burns in all directions from the point of origin. It just moves faster in the direction of the wind. A slight wind change can turn a flank into a head fire.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like a black weekend for me. I love walking in the burned area's. I was maneuvering the earlier video and checking the locations I want to go and they look crispy.