2017-18 Winter weather

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'd like to know where exactly the reporting observations are located.

JD, NOAA/NWS has a program of volunteer weather spotters. Our area, I am close to Bayville and we got at least 16" from the storm, probably comes from the MT Holly NWS location. I'm pretty sure anyone can take the training and become one of their spotters. Some info at the link;

https://www.weather.gov/phi/become

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
LOL, yeah, everything must be taken with a grain or salt shaker of salt. Beside NWS I look at weather underground and another reporting station. Where is Basset Acres? According to the Berkeley Patch news link Bayville and Bricktown have the honor in Ocean county of getting the most snow, 18". I realize with blowing drifting snow it is probably impossible to be 100% accurate. In a neighboring yard it is mostly vacant/clear. I live a block from the bay in Holly Park. I'd say 10" and at most 12" in a clear open area that may not be subject to drifting.
I'm sticking between 10-12" despite what the "official" reports are. 15 minutes ago, 1:45 PM the reporting station reported mostly cloudy, elevation 4600', yet when I observe the same sky it is mostly sunny to partly cloudy, high fair weather clouds. Where does mostly cloudy come from? Like I said, grain of salt.
Not interested in being an observer, but thanks.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I can see how the amount of snow that falls might be different what accumulates on the ground. The deeper it gets, the more compressed it becomes and heat from the ground is also a factor. For example, if you measured one inch of snow, swept it away, came back an hour later, measured another inch and repeated this 12 times, that would be 12 inches of snow. OTOH, if you just went out when the storm was over and took one measurement, it might only be 9 inches. Anyway, the NWS reported 14" for Estell Manor and I saw a range more like 8" to 12" based on the 800 feet of driveway that I cleared when it was over. BTW, I lived in an old farmhouse on Station Road in Bayville back in 1972. :)

Took the back roads to the Turnersville area today and the drifting snow is pretty bad in many places - wherever there are open fields that allow the wind to pickup speed.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Serious, lived in the area my entire life and I don't know where this is unless it's some "new" development.

Maybe I'm missing something? You can just click on that and see a map of exactly where it is. You can even watch video of his birdfeeder and koi pond. :rolleyes: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNJBAYVI4&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

bayville.png

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Boyd
I knew somebody would say this, expected 46er. Yes I'm aware of snow compression under it's own weight and the wind blowing on it. Your familiar with Berkeley township, Bayville and the Holly Park section of Bayville. Not really a large area and it's possible there was a cloud burst over the reporting station as in a summer thunderstorm. Riding about town the amount of snow in driveways and the pile of snow from the plows "appeared" fairly consistent. It would be obvious I would think to be a 6" discrepancy. This is all a moot point really, just saying that some reporting stations should be taken with some discression.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
HUH, totally missed that. So that's Basset Acres? Not at all far from me. So about a 6-8" difference in snow totals in maybe 2.5 miles as the crow flies.
Haven't noticed but I think your old farmhouse is still there.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think Basset Acres is the name of the weather station, maybe they own a Basset Hound. By the antenna's it looks like he is into shortwave radio. If you are just a block off the bay, the wind probably blew most of the snow you should have received, be happy for that ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was reading 8 degrees here and in my car at 6AM. Still reading 8 here now.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Two more days of this nonsense and then the warm-up begins. 50 degrees by Thursday. :)
I am starting to get use to it. I actually might miss it a little.

We need these kinds of natural challenges as a bit of a wake-up call every now and then. If nothing else, it makes you realize how quickly you would be in deep trouble without the luxury of basic utilities such as natural gas, oil, propane and electricity and being able to crank a thermostat at will.
:)

Reactions: manumuskin