2017-18 Winter weather

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am starting to get use to it. I actually might miss it a little.

We need these kinds of natural challenges as a bit of a wake-up call every now and then. If nothing else, it makes you realize how quickly you would be in deep trouble without the luxury of basic utilities such as natural gas, oil, propane and electricity and being able to crank a thermostat at will.
:)

Just one quick turn of events and we all could all be fighting one another to cut down the last tree in the pines to keep warm. It seems so far fetched but it really isn't. Life is actually quite good for all of us currently.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to love winter.After working in ungodly heat for the last eight years it seems to have killed my cold tolerance.Also my arthritic left ankle and left hand don't seem to care for the cold at all.The last couple days my limp which normally goes away after a few minutes on my feet just won't quit.On the other hand I hate bugs like every one else but I do like swimming.I still think fall rules,summer is cool long as I"m near water,Spring is nice after winter but it can be a real bear finding stones in any season but winter.I guess I like em all but I keep the Bengay handy in winter and do my best to ignore the bugs in summer,the flies are the hardest to ignore. Chiggers and ticks can be prepared for but nothing but staying still and nightfall stops flies.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Also found the suicide note person they were looking for in Maurice River Bluffs for a whole week last month.He was frozen and in the river,they believe he drowned.I guess he meant what he wrote in the note.They couldn't find Him,How do you drown yourself if you can swim? weights?

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Also found the suicide note person they were looking for in Maurice River Bluffs for a whole week last month.He was frozen and in the river,they believe he drowned.I guess he meant what he wrote in the note.They couldn't find Him,How do you drown yourself if you can swim? weights?
Whatever he did, its sad

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How do you drown yourself if you can swim? weights?

Probably hypothermic, after that happens nature takes over. Read the article I posted earlier in another thread, i.e. freezing to death. It explains it in detail.

My dentist is a winter camping aficionado, I think Kayak Karl is as well.

best.campfire.DSC03466-copy.jpg

And then there are the winter surfers.

166811789.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is 6 degrees here. Not quite as cold as they said it would go.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
2F at 7:30 here and no wind. At 7 it was -3F. Thermometer on the deck. NWS says it is 3F at Miller Air Park.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I need to get one. I have been electrocuted a thousand times in the past week.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Probably hypothermic, after that happens nature takes over. Read the article I posted earlier in another thread, i.e. freezing to death. It explains it in detail.

My dentist is a winter camping aficionado, I think Kayak Karl is as well.

best.campfire.DSC03466-copy.jpg

And then there are the winter surfers.

166811789.jpg
I understand that you are long dead before you actually freeze,by the time your core temp gets down to 60 or so your dead,brain dead before that.Frostbite is actually freezing.Frostbite usually doesn't kill you but the accompanying gangrene will. Freezing to death I believe is a commonly used euphemism for Hypothermia. The guy I was speaking of left a suicide note so i doubt he allowed himelf to die of hypothermia.They think he drowned but it's been so long ago they probably couldn't tell by checking his lungs.Probably threw himself in maybe drunk or drugged knowing he wouldn't be able to swim or maybe he couldn't swim?That would do it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
No fan of the Washington Post either but this is a good article.
I do get tired of people telling me when I tell them in Saudi Arabia it was hitting 122 every day I was there from Mid April on that "Oh but it was a dry heat,it probably didn't feel as hot as it does here at 90 because of the humidity we have".... Bull&%$*! !22 degrees is 122 degrees.Don't give me no crap about humidity! 122 is hot! I don't care if it's 0% humidity.You survive by finding shade and then sitting down and not moving at all and breathing slowly and drinking water,no matter how hot it is.On the other hand the desert at night is gorgeous.&0 degrees every night with an awesome breeze.Turned us all into night owls real quick.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have read a few of Mors books. Ithink we just experienced a dry cold.I noticed till i got out of work today that the snow squaeaked when i walked on it,kinda felt like styrofoam through my boots,now that we have a mild thaw it feels more like walking in down feathers and is silent when I walk on it.Now once it freezes it will go crunch crunch crunch.In any case dry cold will kill you just as wet cold or dry or wet heat if your unprepared and do not know how to handle the conditions.We learned how to make cool tea out of hot water in 122 degree heat with no ice.It's a cool trick and better then drinking nasty hot water out of a plastic bottle.