A new stuck vehicle video

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not related but I figured since I started this thread I would mention this. On Sunday morning early we were heading down Atsion Road and someone had been riding through the corn field near the Buddhist house. Corn was all over Atsion Road. And just a short distance past there were two vehicles parked along the road. It was two older men looking over a huge trash pile that someone had dumped right along the road during the night. They looked like they were looking for ID. We continued on and a mile down the road the Park Police were heading in that direction. On our way back a few hours later the trash was gone.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just don't get why someone would tear up their vehicle on purpose.I have better things to spend money on,namely bills then spend it replacing truck parts every time I get back from the Barrens.I would get out and walk,then again I think the mud holes are actually the reason they are there anyway and they see nothing else.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is in constant use.

It's outrageous that the State doesn't enforce the existing environmental regulations, while they write new ones at the same time. How hard could it be to catch and prosecute these violators? I know that resources are limited, but somehow law enforcement finds the resources to target people who don't wear seatbelts or talk on cell phones.

What will Daddy say when he learns his $79,000 SUV has been siezed? If the State would just show they are serious it would be a good start.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Maybe those vehicles were $80k new, but they're not worth that now. Luxury vehicles depreciate like rocks. You'll find many, many people driving Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, and the higher end Jeeps around the woods.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It's outrageous that the State doesn't enforce the existing environmental regulations, while they write new ones at the same time. How hard could it be to catch and prosecute these violators? I know that resources are limited, but somehow law enforcement finds the resources to target people who don't wear seatbelts or talk on cell phones.

What will Daddy say when he learns his $79,000 SUV has been siezed? If the State would just show they are serious it would be a good start.
it would be about as hard as mounting a hidden camera that can take a photo detailed enough to get a license plate.Heck they might even want to take a ride out there on the weekends.
If it were locals they could argue tha it is their land too but these are shoobies! They come down here and tear up our woods?We can tear them up quite well on our own thank you!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I wasn't attempting to appraise anyone's car, I just used the figure posted earlier. If people start losing their vehicles, licenses, maybe even spend time in jail, maybe the message will get out? But I dunno, maybe it's just hopeless. :(

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If what they are doing is actually illegal, and it well may be, but I have not seen any statute posted anywhere, YouTube will pull the vid. If it is a Wharton reg, then that should also be enough to have the vid taken down. If you can't ticket them, don't give them the attention they crave and just p**s them off.

What ever happened to that group that formed before the Slag Heap came around? They had a forum.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is no law against driving around Wharton.There are laws (Rules and Regs anyway)against making new roads and destroying vegetation.This could mean cross country driving or something as benign as making a go around for a bad puddle or pulling off the road to park.Damaging wetlands is definitely a no no in the regs if not the law books. If it could be shown they were destroying endangered and threatened species that would add weight against them and I'm sure they are even if it is some little known non flowering plant that only a botanically interested person might notice.
I have heard four wheelers argue the holes they create makes amphibian habitat.I'm sure it does till they come back and run over the inhabitants.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah. Unless they were in a part of the woods that are closed to motorized vehicles then what they are doing is perfectly legal.

I didn't watch the whole video, but if the guy got into the puddle and dug the ruts deeper than that's just inconsiderate, but not illegal. Is that type of four-wheeling something that I would go and do today? Nope. But was there a time that I used to go out with the idea of getting my truck a little muddy? Yes.

I wasn't attempting to appraise anyone's car, I just used the figure posted earlier. If people start losing their vehicles, licenses, maybe even spend time in jail, maybe the message will get out? But I dunno, maybe it's just hopeless. :(

I'm not so sure that I'd want to give a ranger the discretion to impound my truck. Make clear rules, and enforce them fairly. But the lawmakers sure love heaping more and more laws up on us when the existing ones would be fine if they were enforceable.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was taking Ed at his word that this was 1/4 mile, and I thought that area was closed to vehicles? Anyway my comment was more general about people who intentionally break the law, not necessarily saying that the video above was evidence of this (although anyone who would do that is a moron in my book). I think they already do impound ATV's, don't they? But maybe that's because they aren't registered?

Anyway, never mind. Once again I have reached the same conclusion that it's hopeless. Meanwhile, they will proceed to make a bunch of new rules that penalize all of us.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
They impound ATV's which is fine, because the law clearly says: "Ride an unregistered ATV and it will be impounded." But it's much less clear with legal vehicles like trucks - "stay on established roadways." What is an established roadway? A well worn trail? A road on a topo map? There's too much grey there for me to say: "Okay, lets start taking people's Jeeps away."

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
My exp has been that law enforcement is thin in numbers and many times doesn't head into areas off the beaten path too much. There is lots of coverage around wharton these days its seems, especially around Caranza, however I'm not so sure those guys are always total up to speed on what and who to look for. Those guys seem less like ball busters and more like helpful rangers. I wish they were more ball busters sometimes.

The other issue is LE, IMO just doesn't share the same level of passion for the pines that all of us do here, which to be honest is a difficult level to attain and mantain. We see a guy rutting up a sand road as disrespect to 'our' woods, some people see it as good fun or not a big deal. I see the amphibians that are getting crushed, or turtle that is getting squashed, others see it as simply enjoying the woods. We all have a higher level of knowledge of what effects the pines, others just simply don't.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It has been dry. Just wait a month or so.

Guy

Might not have to wait that long.

two_atl.gif