Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
looks like you can actually see people standing outside their vehicles.

If you download the files, you can zoom in farther. I would say those are people, and you can see the door is open on one vehicle too. :)

friendship1.png

The 2010 imagery is also there. Popular place…

friendship.png

To download, click the "Find Products" button. You can click the "footprint" button next to each item and it will display a rectangle on the map showing its coverage. Click the "download" link to get an individual file, or use the shopping cart button to collect multiple files.

Unzip the folder and open the .jp2 file. You will need software that can open a JPEG 2000 file to view. It should open directly on the Mac in Preview. There is also the free open source program qGIS if you want to get fancy. :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hey Ben, you might consider adding the NJGIN 2012 imagery to NJPB maps. I remember in the past, this was low resolution satellite imagery with full tree canopy. I guess those were just temporary because it is now very nice 1 foot per pixel aerial imagery without leaf cover. I have been using this for some personal projects and it's very clear. They also have a 2010 dataset but I haven't looked closely at it.

I'll try to get it added either later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've added the 2012 NJGIN imagery in.

You'll need to clear your cache/force reload to get them to show. Hold down shift while you press the reload button in your browser. On Safari on my Mac I had to do it twice before the changes would load.

Edit: Boyd, do you know of a WMS service URL for The National Map's 2012 layer?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The 2007 and 2012 look the same except for the distance you can zoom in. I am checking that on a different browser.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it is also here. I erased my drive last week so I just downloaded Firefox for the first time since then and it also shows the same map in 2007 and 2012.

Boyd, what year map was it that showed the people at Friendship? I don't see them here.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Whoops. I was rushing this morning and I didn't update the URL so it was pulling the 2007 maps instead of the 2012.

When you zoom in you can see the people hanging out in front of the packing house now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. The 2012 maps are now working properly. Thanks Ben. I had to reload with the shift key down for them to work as you mentioned earlier.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Works for me now under Firefox on Windows. Didn't work on my Mac, but I prefer not to clear the cache at the moment. :)

Boyd, do you know of a WMS service URL for The National Map's 2012 layer?

Not sure Ben, I used to have all the national atlas layers accessible with WMS, but they stopped working awhile ago when the USGS made the transition to the National Map. The info was all here, but the link seems to be dead now

http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/example/services/serviceList.html

Found some other info on their site, but couldn't get the URLs to work in globalmapper. Will look at this later if I get a chance.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd, do you happen to know where the 1995 aerials came from, and whether they are now part of the public domain? I tried searching for something, but it's very confusing to get to the root of the ownership.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Microsoft owns the 1995 aerials as far as I know and they are free to use.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Boyd, do you happen to know where the 1995 aerials came from

The term "1995 aerials" is not very specific. ;) If you are talking about the 1995 infrared digital orthophotography that NJGIN provides (which Ben is using on NJPB maps), the metadata is here

https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINE...Name=PUBLIC_BROWSE&mode=ME&loggedIn=undefined

Data Storage and Access Information:

Access Constraints: none
Use Constraints: None. Acknowledgement of the U.S. Geological Survey and NJDEP would be appreciated in products derived from these data.