Another 5AM outing

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

With the days getting shorter I will have to change the time I have been getting up on Sunday's as to not get to the barrens as early. This morning as I entered Atsion it started raining, and as I entered the woods off of 206 is was dark. I had problems walking for around 20 minutes and until I found the road I wanted to meet up with. I could hear the roosters at Dutchtown calling.

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Eventually, the sky's cleared and brightened.

IMG_0542.JPG

Water drop

IMG_0597a.jpg

Different looks to Xyrus

IMG_0580a.jpg

IMG_0582a.jpg

Morning sunlight

IMG_0572a.jpg

I came upon numerous dunes. This is for Spung-Man.

IMG_0566.JPG

Eventually, I arrived at the back of Dutchtown. There is a small old dump area back there I will call Dutchtown Dump. Many years ago bottles, lightbulbs, and many other kinds of trash were deposited on state land.

IMG_0567.JPG

I carefully visited one corner of the property looking for a state monument. Apparently, it isn't there anymore but this pipe is.

IMG_0569.JPG

If you have wondered what was back there I took this standing on state land.

IMG_0570.JPG

And finally, chiggers last evening caught on the "tick magnet."

IMG_0549.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Manumuskin

I forgot a third party at Dutchtown. The "Out Post Cafe" is owned by an outfit in Medford called "Cafe Real Estate Management LLC" they bought it in 2009.

Don

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Manumuskin

I forgot a third party at Dutchtown. The "Out Post Cafe" is owned by an outfit in Medford called "Cafe Real Estate Management LLC" they bought it in 2009.

Don

I liked it when Cheryl Hurst ran it. The new managers cut the balls off it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Great photos Guy! I'm itching just looking at the chiggers. Did you use permethrin? I like these shorter days, fewer hours of sun = less heat. :)

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Dutchtown consists of 20.6968 acres. At one time in the 50s it was owned by Cavileer, Russell, Giberson, and Hill. Looking Ben's map over we can see there were and still must be multiple lots.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.7195829038269&lng=-74.73622441291809&z=18&type=m&gpx=[/quote]

Annie Cavileer, Russell lived next to the Out Post, Sam & Reba Giberson lived next towards Hammonton where the new house is today. Can't remenber where Hilly lived, he may have owned the junkyard properety?? They were all relatives, most moved down from Atsion. At Atsion, Sam Giberson lived in the house that burnt down, where only the fireplace still stands. Annie Cavileer lived in the house that is falling down, where all the cats are. She lived in the Gloucester Co Gun club before that. Not sure where Russell lived but he came down from Atsion Also. I understand the prople from Dutchtown were buried in the cemetery on Crew road in the old days.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great photos Guy! I'm itching just looking at the chiggers. Did you use permethrin? I like these shorter days, fewer hours of sun = less heat. :)

There is no need to use the exotic stuff. "Off" kills them dead so we just spray up and never have a problem. Plus, Jessica is quick with the lint roller. That thing is the greatest tool.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Annie Cavileer, Russell lived next to the Out Post, Sam & Reba Giberson lived next towards Hammonton where the new house is today. Can't remenber where Hilly lived, he may have owned the junkyard properety?? They were all relatives, most moved down from Atsion. At Atsion, Sam Giberson lived in the house that burnt down, where only the fireplace still stands. Annie Cavileer lived in the house that is falling down, where all the cats are. She lived in the Gloucester Co Gun club before that. Not sure where Russell lived but he came down from Atsion Also. I understand the prople from Dutchtown were buried in the cemetery on Crew road in the old days.

Nice info ...Thanks!

The Giberson lot along Quaker Bridge Road was .1722 acres so they moved up a little going to Dutchtown. And the Cavileer lot was just slightly bigger at .357 acres. The last private lot other than the church is the Gloucester Gun Club at .3397 acres.

Guy

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Nice info ...Thanks!

The Giberson lot along Quaker Bridge Road was .1722 acres so they moved up a little going to Dutchtown. And the Cavileer lot was just slightly bigger at .357 acres. The last private lot other than the church is the Gloucester Gun Club at .3397 acres.

Guy

The Giberson House and the Cavileer house are both owned by a friend of mine name Steve. However, there is another private lot in Atsion that even the state doesn’t realize they don’t own. I read some where in this forum that some one was looking for the property stones for the Hugh Phillips lot. That would be the property that the Atsion Hotel was on; well this private property is by the Phillips lot. Phillips also owned the Stone Bridge Farm a couple miles down the Quaker Bridge Road.

I apologize if this information is already known.

Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am the person who was looking for the Phillips monuments.

Guy

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I am the person who was looking for the Phillips monuments.

Guy

I thought it was you but wasn't sure. Is there a story behind the monuments? I got a letter from Hugh's grandaughter about a year ago. She was looking for some information on Hugh when he lived at Atsion. All she remenbered about Atsion was that she had to pull weeds from around the house every summer when they came down.

Don

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Enjoyed the continuing report, Guy. I have wondered what was back there LOL. the pines are different in the morning aren't they? When I used to suffer from extreme insomnia, many years ago, I used to head out into the pines a little before 3am and stay till sun up. It was a different world.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Boyd a nice hot bath will kill these suckers too. I got hit with them about a week ago. I hate chiggers. Also, removing every bit of clothing and not bringing into the house. Haha. I trekked the Manumuskin Preserve almost all of the 3500 acres. I am definitely a Piney Woman. When is the next outting?? I will definitely be in. Also, hopefully to meet more women explorers :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Again this morning I headed out early to look for Prenanthes autumnalis (Rattlesnake root). Driving through the woods in the dark I came upon a middle aged man riding his bicycle. I apologized for ruining the quiet of his early morning ride.

Anyway, this was sunrise this morning.

IMG_0702.JPG

And I found the rattlesnake root. It is about two weeks early.

IMG_0710a.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

And you may remember it looks like this.

IMG_3032.JPG

And after that I was able to drive my car all the way to Lock's Bridge. I also made it to an area nearby there where this photo was taken.

IMG_0697.JPG

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Now wonder the Rattlesnake root is so difficult to locate, the plant blends in perfect with its surroundings. I was surprised to see how dry that general area is between Rt 206 and the river. There is very little water on the surface. Even the deeper holes where damp sand/muck and couldn't even get my boots wet.