another barren night

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I spent Saturday night bogged down in Friendship, doing what I usually do.
IMG_7532.JPG

Whip

Priceless

g.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Mid-June brings a gradual fade to (near) silence at night in the pine barrens, as the frogs and birds get to other business. After the loving ...

I wish I had spent more time listening this season. Here's a guy carrying a definite look of longing; it's as if he misses somebody.

IMG_7257.JPG

Wonder who that could be?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He does look sad. Maybe who he longs for was eaten by a snake.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I recognize him.He couldn't get any girls that night we were out there because he had a little wonk.when he wonked it wasn't as big of a wonk as the other wonkers so the girls knew he had a little wonk and started calling him wee willy wonker which made him very sad and then he started overeating,instead of mosquitoes he started binging on fat grub worms and hence the sad fat little wonker you see before you.
Alfie

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Picture 299.jpg Hey you big handsome treefrog. Why don't you come over and see me sometime? All that wonk stuff doesn't mean a thing to me and I know that isn't a big grub belly, it's just a fuel tank for a love machine. Hop on over, Lea Pard.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I recognize him.He couldn't get any girls that night we were out there because he had a little wonk.when he wonked it wasn't as big of a wonk as the other wonkers so the girls knew he had a little wonk and started calling him wee willy wonker which made him very sad and then he started overeating,instead of mosquitoes he started binging on fat grub worms and hence the sad fat little wonker you see before you.
Alfie

Just nothing like having a vivid imagination, is there? And from a naturalist too, go figure! I thought you scientific types had to stick to the facts.

Now from MY point of view, he's the perfect shape, the way God made him. The contemplative look in his eye is because he's composing a marvelous symphony for next spring--dozens of frogs from all over the Friendship bogs will travel to that one beautiful pool, and Whip will be astounded at the incredible harmony and (having brought along plenty of memory) will make the recording of his lifetime. AND will post it here on this Forum for all of us to enjoy.

Howzat, Alfie?

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Just nothing like having a vivid imagination, is there? And from a naturalist too, go figure! I thought you scientific types had to stick to the facts.

Now from MY point of view, he's the perfect shape, the way God made him. The contemplative look in his eye is because he's composing a marvelous symphony for next spring--dozens of frogs from all over the Friendship bogs will travel to that one beautiful pool, and Whip will be astounded at the incredible harmony and (having brought along plenty of memory) will make the recording of his lifetime. AND will post it here on this Forum for all of us to enjoy.

Howzat, Alfie?

Glo

Bill it is true must now carry his memory with him wherever he goes because when you get as old as he is it tends to leak out your ears when carried in the head.thats why they make SD cards now for people who have lost their memory and must now carry it in their pack.this is why whip makes these recordings.because he frequently loses his way in the barrens at night,I don't know how with all the original looking pine trees for landmarks) and he can use these recordings to form a sort of SD memory that he can use to navigate by.sort of like echolocation used by bats only this will be on his card for reference.he will know each pond as he comes to it and can form an audio map of the barrens to travel by.I know he is old but his hearing is quite sharp yet,his eyesight is not bad either but he has a horrible sense of smell,he reguarly travels with me doesn't he?
Alfie

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
. . . he can use these recordings to form a sort of SD memory that he can use to navigate by.sort of like echolocation used by bats only this will be on his card for reference.he will know each pond as he comes to it and can form an audio map of the barrens to travel by. Alfie

For such a youngster, Alfling, you do have some good ideas . . . like the SD echolocation plan. An audio map of the barrens would be quite cool. :dance:

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Late night, listening to a beautiful edition of Star's End on WXPN, letting the music take me to another place.

That April afternoon and evening ...

Hawkin Bridge

hawk.jpg

Friendship

fshprd1.jpg

Mr. Bubbles

alfiebubblez.jpg

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
A fantasia of colors, Whip. The water in the river appears frozen, and the Friendship shots . . . an "other world" of mystery. Much here to dream on. Thank you.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
the quite quiet night

This evening, Alfalfa piloted the sand-road craft in the direction of the Tulpehocken River ...

brrnnghta.jpg

... my favorite place in the entire universe; we then walked to a series of ripples located upon the same ...

brrnnghtd.jpg

... where a recording was made while the sun spun down and away from a distant location upstream.

A side trip was taken slightly distant, downstream ...

brrnnghte.jpg

... for a failed attempt to locate remnants of an all-but-forgotten saw mill.

After dark, we wandered, listening for the season's first chattering insects ...

brrnnghtb.jpg

... along those vacant sandy ways ...

brrnnghtg.jpg

brrnnghti.jpg

solitudehighway.jpg

brrnnghtj.jpg

... but were instead treated to silence.

brrnnghtk.jpg

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
What a beautiful river, Whip, with such a melodious name. Might it be a Lenapi word? I like the dream-like quality of the interpreted photos and the insights they provide. They lend themselves to reverie.

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
tulpehocken means turtle creek. hocken,hawken,hickin are all variations of an lenape word that meant stream.tulpa supposedly came from a word meaning turtle.there is a tulpehocken creek in pa too.wissahickon has the same word in it spelled differently.
Al

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Spotting the first guy of the year is always a challenge. Tonight, I was in a small pond full of ear-piercing peepers, shrieks echoing like mad. But once one focuses down, and lets the eye see past the aural distraction, the little guys start popping into view all over the place.

Here's my first. I get, like, religious, closing in on #1.

peeper10.jpg

leopard submerged ...

leopard.jpg

night trail ...

nighttrail-1.jpg