another barren night

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Thanks, John. With the entire area turning into one humongous swamp, this might be the mother of all frog years. :)

Whip, May I ask what equipment you are using to record?

B & I,

This'll link you to the field recorder I'm using.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/432017-REG/Fostex_FR2_LE_FR_2_LE_2_Channel.html

When I was shopping around for a decent recorder, this is the one other recording enthusiasts seemed to praise the most (at a moderate price range). I also use a pair of (sadly discontinued) Audio-Technica omni-directional microphones (AT-3032). These definitely give (or gave) the most bang for the buck. If I ever decide to replace the mics, it appears I'll have to spend considerably more to achieve the same quality results.

Whip'd

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Whip, you've done it again. #1 looks like he's having the time of his life. Submerged leopard is playing the camo-game to perfection. And 'night trail' -- simply beautiful.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
thank you, glo. "night trail" fails to capture what i was sensing. the photo is a hand-held time exposure of about 30 seconds, taken as i was walking up a railroad grade toward a pond full of peepers and leopard frogs. the sound of the frogs as i approached was surreal, another whipped-up amphibious dream; each step offered a doppler shift of sound that spanned from a distant din to slowly nearing pandemonium. i was surrounded by pitch black, but faraway lights in front of me, rising from a sand plant, lifted into dense clouds. the rails were reflecting this light, as well; twin beams leading the way into the dark.

frogs rock.

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
Thanks, John. With the entire area turning into one humongous swamp, this might be the mother of all frog years. :)

B & I,

This'll link you to the field recorder I'm using.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/432017-REG/Fostex_FR2_LE_FR_2_LE_2_Channel.html

When I was shopping around for a decent recorder, this is the one other recording enthusiasts seemed to praise the most (at a moderate price range). I also use a pair of (sadly discontinued) Audio-Technica omni-directional microphones (AT-3032). These definitely give (or gave) the most bang for the buck. If I ever decide to replace the mics, it appears I'll have to spend considerably more to achieve the same quality results.

Whip'd

Yikes! That's pricey! I have a sony minidisc recorder with a small sony microphone that I'm trying to repair. I purchased it on ebay and only used it once. I was impressed with the sound quality. Unfortunately the AA battery leaked and the inside connections are corroded. If I can clean it up I plan on doing many field recordings. I'd love to make some slideshows of my photography coupled with the recordings!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Revisted a favorite bog of ours tonight in Belleplain State Forest -- the water level was totally insane. So was the singing. Peepers, chorus frogs, spadefoot toads, and one lonely leopard frog crooned. The spadefoots were a first for Alfalfa and me. The night, magical.

aa-7.jpg

abIMG_2315.jpg

acIMG_2322.jpg

aeIMG_2338.jpg

afIMG_2340.jpg

aiIMG_2348.jpg

ajIMG_2350.jpg

akIMG_2351.jpg

alIMG_2355.jpg

amIMG_2360.jpg

aqIMG_2376.jpg

aqIMG_2378.jpg

asIMG_2380.jpg

atIMG_2389.jpg

auIMG_2391.jpg

avIMG_2399.jpg

awIMG_2400.jpg

ayIMG_2418.jpg

azIMG_2419.jpg

baIMG_2421.jpg

bbIMG_2431.jpg

bcIMG_2436.jpg

zzIMG_2303.jpg

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Thanks, Guy. Yeah, the boys were out pretty late last night. :)

So hard to focus on the frogs with the camera in the dark (even while wearing a headlamp). The what-would-have-been best of the photos had to be discarded. But it's all so fun and relaxing... even if the images don't turn out so great.

Alfie, I'm going to try to slip out and down your way after dinner late this afternoon. 5:00-5:30-ish? That'll time it for shooting the flooded area in daylight into hopefully recording the spadefoot toads at dusk. (Been trying to call you; no answer at home or on cell!)

Bill

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Looks like y'all had a great night of it, Whip. The shot of Al reminds me of one of those vintage woodcuts in which the intrepid pioneer strides forth to do battle with the wild night. Love the way you caught the frogs in action, and their expressions, which suggest personality. For sheer delight, I keep coming back to the chorus (?) frogs in grass stems and the peepers (?) in leaves, but then there's Big Eyes--I have to admit he's irresistible!

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
We returned to the flooded area visited last night at Belleplain, prepared to wade a road leading to a frog hotspot located near a gravel pit. Unless one has visited here before, it's hard to be impressed by the amount of water this place has taken. A dry road (Alfie wades this in the photos below) under normal conditions winds its way past a few small ponds. The entire area is now a bog full of screaming peepers, Fowler's and spadefoot toads and leopard frogs. The peeper quantity tends to give one a headache.

cbIMG_2451.jpg

caIMG_2445.jpg

cdIMG_2463.jpg

ceIMG_2472.jpg

ccIMG_2479.jpg

The decibel level tripled after dark. We set up recording gear and returned to the water for a few photos.

ckIMG_2499.jpg

This fellow below decided to bail ...
clIMG_2494.jpg

cmIMG_2496.jpg

Remarkable spring.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Peeper toes,
Alfie goes,
and a spadefoot's nose.

ddIMG_2409_Painting.jpg

dcIMG_2457_Painting.jpg

daIMG_2384.jpg

Off for Wharton Saturday evening -- hoping for some early wonking. Probably too soon ...

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Lots of listening and looking the past two nights -- Friendship bogs Saturday, and a small pond and surroundings down my way (near Millvillle) this evening. Reporting:

Whippoorbill heard his first whippoorwill.

Mercury (rare) and Venus (splendid) are dancing at sunset.

Friendship is still wonk-free.

Two wonkers wonked down this way tonight (or one wonked twice).

Wonks sent Whip spinning like a ballerina.

Non-wonkers were the subject of a few photos ...

dhIMG_2630.jpg

dgIMG_2627.jpg

dfIMG_2619.jpg

deIMG_2621.jpg

My over-amphibious apologies. But, after all, 'tis the season to be boggy.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bill
I have checked to see what that yeller frog is and it doesn't look to be a green frog.the scary thing is it looks similar to pics i have seen of the barking treefrog but this frog sin't supposed to be in jersey.it's northern limit is in delaware.there was a colony in cape may county in the 60's but it supposedly has disappeared.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/frogs.pdf
http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Hyla+gratiosa
How bout some input from Dragon or NJsnakeman or another herper?what be the yeller frog above this reply? the only possible native species i would say is a yeller phase green frog.was it really yeller or is the light playing with me?would be awesome if you found a barker.you need to start catching your own frogs so you can ID them.You may make a noteworthy find someday.Was he exhibiting any dog like behaviors? barking?begging? rolling in feces?
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Bill
the scary thing is it looks similar to pics i have seen of the barking treefrog but this frog sin't supposed to be in jersey.it's northern limit is in delaware.there was a colony in cape may county in the 60's but it supposedly has disappeared.
the only possible native species i would say is a yeller phase green frog.was it really yeller or is the light playing with me?would be awesome if you found a barker.you need to start catching your own frogs so you can ID them.You may make a noteworthy find someday.Was he exhibiting any dog like behaviors? barking?begging? rolling in feces?
Alfie

I think you've got it, Alfie. The frog, soon after I snapped it, hopped out of the bog and up to a nearby fire hydrant, lifted a leg, and went!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i pulled out my lang elliot book of frogs and toads.there is a pic in there of a yellowish green frog with little black spots on his back.i was kind of hoping for hyla retrieverus but we may have a common gree frog here.green frogs are bigger then barkers.was this frog bigger then your average leopard frog?
Alfie

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Bill
was it really yeller or is the light playing with me?
Alfie

I think you've raised a good question, Al. Perhaps, as Whip has suggested, the flash made a difference.
I remember the color as less intense, closer to a yellowish-tan. The eyes did not look bright blue. I saw only his face, but he seemed larger than a leopard.

And, having read a bit in Elliott, I'm thinking that his prominent parotid glands suggest that he is a toad. Another interesting observation from Elliott is that Fowler's will hybridize with both American and Southern toads; note their tannish color, although none of them really match.

If we can convince ourselves that he's a hybrid, do we get to give him a name?

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I can't imagine whip not being able to identify a toad and toads aren't really any bigger then leopards but if it did have large parotid glands then it must have been a toad.a very bad picture for identification.a back shot would've been better then a face shot but Whip is always looking for indivisual expression.I am tired of telling him the frogs are not really smiling it's just the way their mouths are shaped.
Alfie