another barren night

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Nothing spectacular here, but I wanted to add some photos from the heavenly frog evening occuring a week ago tonight. These were all taken before the frogs appeared on the scene (photos of those guys are on previous page), and include three similar images of the road back to the largest bog in Friendship, sections of the bog itself near sunset, and a photo of the small bog where the frogs come to life in a most beautiful way (the first photo below).

ddd-3.jpg

aaa-5.jpg

ccc-4.jpg

eee-4.jpg

fff-4.jpg

ggg-3.jpg

hhh-3.jpg

bbb-4.jpg

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I would consider myself a big fan of the whonkers as well...and there is no bigger fan the Bobbleton.

Al & Bill- have you had any luck @ ACE pit this year?..I went out saturday but got lost going to the spot. Also this may interest the both of you supposedly @Belleplain they sprayed some stuff that accidentally wiped out the wonkers, I don't buy it....have you guys heard any there or further south?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I would consider myself a big fan of the whonkers as well...and there is no bigger fan the Bobbleton.

Al & Bill- have you had any luck @ ACE pit this year?..I went out saturday but got lost going to the spot. Also this may interest the both of you supposedly @Belleplain they sprayed some stuff that accidentally wiped out the wonkers, I don't buy it....have you guys heard any there or further south?

Chris,

Bobbleton and you are officially in the club. :)

We haven't been to the ACE pit yet, but I've been bugging Alfie to drive me out there (my truck won't fit down the access road). We're actually heading to Belleplain this evening, even with the rain front bearing down. This is almost exactly the time last year when I heard the two pine barren tree frogs in Belleplain...also on a very rainy night. I've never heard any pbtf south of Belleplain. I'm pretty sure Al has never heard one south of ACE pit.

Whip

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
pbtf3.jpg

Still out there listening, evening after evening. Finally taking a break tonight (history reminds me that masses of whooping wanderers will be out doing just that being it's the Saturday night before Memorial Day), instead staying home & listening to all the takes, editing these down, & looking at all the snaps.

I've read opinions stating our wonkers might be America's most beautiful frog. I don't hesitate to remove the "might" and replace it with an "is"; both visually and audibly.

We'll be back at 'em tomorrow and Monday evenings.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They were calling away this afternoon at Webb's Mill Bog. I did not have time or I would have been after them. Jessica still is skeptical they exist :D

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've read opinions stating our wonkers might be America's most beautiful frog. I don't hesitate to remove the "might" and replace it with an "is"; both visually and audibly.

The Pine Barren Treefrog is also very calm, which soothes my nerves when I am close to one.

Seriously.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I spent most of my Memorial Day night (late) on Quaker Bridge Road, leaning against a pine tree (there are quite a few of these thereabouts, of the pitch variety, begging for an opportunity to be leaned upon), reading an article about disappearing frogs and the like while listening to frogs and the like (a pure coincidence; the fine essay by Elizabeth Kolbert is in the current issue of The New Yorker).

Funny (or maybe not so), I've confessed to friends of an annual worry of mine -- scared to death, I am, that when I head back out to re-welcome the singing amphibians one of these springs, I'm instead going to be greeted by silence.

Called Alfie twice this night (the second found him tucked away and sounding only slightly irritated), reporting my hearing frogs (one a bullfrog, the other gray tree frogs) along QBR, or in all of Wharton for that, I'd never heard there before. My tally totaled only one of the former making any noise; I wished for a bullgal to respond by bullhopping over to the crooner, whose serenading efforts, to be honest, didn't seem full of hope. Further east is where I heard the grays (as well as a not-so-rare-but-still-incredible pine barren tree frog ensemble, which incorporated the occasional leopard, a persistent whippoorwill, and several gosh-darned aircraft), which is where I set up shop for most of the night, reading about extinctions, and wondering if what my recorder was doing... there ... see it flashing? ... across the street and down in yonder bog ... was making history of something that might not be around very long.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I spent most of my Memorial Day night (late) on Quaker Bridge Road, leaning against a pine tree (there are quite a few of these thereabouts, of the pitch variety, begging for an opportunity to be leaned upon), reading an article about disappearing frogs and the like while listening to frogs and the like (a pure coincidence; the story by Elizabeth Kolbert is in the current issue of The New Yorker).

Funny (or maybe not so), I've confessed to friends of an annual worry of mine -- that being when I head back out to re-welcome the amphibians every spring I'm instead greeted by silence.

Called Alfie twice this night (the second found him tucked away and sounding only slightly irritated), reporting hearing frogs (one a bullfrog, the other gray tree frogs) along QBR, or in all of Wharton for that, I'd never heard there before. My tally totaled only one of the former making any noise; I wished for a bullgal to respond by bullhopping over to the crooner, whose serenading efforts, to be honest, didn't seem full of hope. Further east is where I heard the grays (as well as a not-so-rare-but-still-incredible pine barren tree frog ensemble, which incorporated the occasional leopard, a persistent whippoorwill, and several gosh-darned aircraft), which is where I set up shop for most of the night, reading about extinctions, and wondering if what my recorder was doing... there ... see it flashing? ... across the street and down in yonder bog ... was making history of something that might not be around very long.

I was on the irritated side because i thought it was the kids wanting to whine to mom about something.Usually when a call comes in after nine it's a kid with an &$$ ache and they want mom to message it.Once i found out it was you i became less irritated and slightly amused at your one grey treefrog.you shoulda brought him to my house ,we have half a dozen across the street but sadly no wonkers in the neighborhood.
I was just starting to WONK myself when you called,shoulda had the recorder here,wouda made history with that recording for sure:)
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Once i found out it was you i became less irritated and slightly amused at your one grey treefrog.you shoulda brought him to my house ,we have half a dozen across the street but sadly no wonkers in the neighborhood. I was just starting to WONK myself when you called,shoulda had the recorder here,wouda made history with that recording for sure.

Pardon my enthusiasm, but after having spent the past few years wandering Wharton having never heard a northern gray and then to suddenly have one croon right next to my ear, my instinct was, "I gotta call Alfie!"

Hmmm ... If I had known that Mrs. Alfie was in the process of responding to your WONK! (why do mine always go ignored, I wonder), I would have kept you on the phone longer. Manumuskin amplexus!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Pardon my enthusiasm, but after having spent the past few years wandering Wharton having never heard a northern gray and then to suddenly have one croon right next to my ear, my instinct was, "I gotta call Alfie!"

Hmmm ... If I had known that Mrs. Alfie was in the process of responding to your WONK! (why do mine always go ignored, I wonder), I would have kept you on the phone longer. Manumuskin amplexus!

Mrs. Muskin sez I'm the best Willie Wonker in the swamp!

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I spent most of my Memorial Day night (late) on Quaker Bridge Road, leaning against a pine tree (there are quite a few of these thereabouts, of the pitch variety, begging for an opportunity to be leaned upon)
. . .and wondering if was making history of something that might not be around very long.

It's just downright heartening to hear from someone who actually does something about those pitch pines begging to be leaned upon. :)

And it's heartening to hear that the grays and other denizens of the bog (minus aircraft) are alive and still crooning in serendipitous places.

But your fears have substance, Whip. I didn't realize the fragility of frogs until this year when a watermain broke in the state park beside us and chlorinated water destroyed MY frogs. We have had a silent spring.

Keep using your unique talents to make history. We are grateful.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I spent Saturday night bogged down in Friendship, doing what I usually do. Overdosing on Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee (blueberry flavored, of course), I intended to make it through daybreak, and succeeded. Frogs to birds, ya know ... it's a truly nice transition.

Once the earth shifted its face back around and lifted the sun, I wandered, camera-armed ...

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7509.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

IMG_7522.JPG

IMG_7524.JPG

IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7534.JPG

IMG_7549.JPG

IMG_7551.JPG

... and dangerous.