Apple Pie Fire Tower - Fence/Gate being installed?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That old septic tank at Dr. Whites has been filled in byt the state.I know the guy who reported it as a hazard and they filled it in.This upset me because I believe people should watch where they walk but if someone did fall in they would not have got out without help unless maybe they had a shovel and could have dug down and made a pile next to the wall.It was a good nine or ten feet deep.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
We did three cleanups there this summer and painted over the graffiti each time. We picked uo four or five Tvs out there as well. FFS has gotten sick of the vandalism it seems. It's a real loss, but at least people can still go up when a FFS tower employee is on duty
So that is the official word from ffs

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Can't say I blame them one bit. But it'd be nice if the FFS could set aside like one day a month, scheduled, to allow visitors up (under supervision), just so that people could know beforehand when it was open.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm surprised it hasn't given birth to another non-profit; FAPHFT, Friends of the Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower. After all it is on the National Historic Lookout Register ;)

Reactions: Piney4life

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Can't say I blame them one bit. But it'd be nice if the FFS could set aside like one day a month, scheduled, to allow visitors up (under supervision), just so that people could know beforehand when it was open.
Basically anytime the tower is staffed the tower lookout usually welcomes any visitors. Just call ahead it gets really hot up there and I've heard stories of guys stripping down to their underwear to stay cool:eek:

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
Was at Apple pie hill today, the fence is done. The guy in the tower I think he said his name was Steve told me I could come up if I wanted
so I climbed up to take some pictures.
IMG_3149.JPG

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
It is a bit puzzling to me why they would erect such a small easily breached or topped fence if the goal is to prevent unauthorized access/vandalism/littering etc when the tower is not occupied. The news article in the "Pine Barrens Tribune" indicated they spent $200 (?). This appears to be more of a symbolic gesture than an actual fence to deny access. Oh well. What will be, will be.

Tony

Scout
Jul 30, 2015
Folsom
Most of the damage occurs at night like after midnight maybe the state police can check on it during those hours.
But I have no problem with them fencing it in.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
It is a bit puzzling to me why they would erect such a small easily breached or topped fence if the goal is to prevent unauthorized access/vandalism/littering etc when the tower is not occupied. The news article in the "Pine Barrens Tribune" indicated they spent $200 (?). This appears to be more of a symbolic gesture than an actual fence to deny access. Oh well. What will be, will be.
My first thought was to liken this to a fence around a pool. Not impenetrable, but it sends a message to deter people from an attractive nuisance.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I would disagree with the statement about no light pollution.The pines may not put out a lot of pollution but between Philly and the NJ suburban sprawl that surrounds it and the NJ shore towns,Atlantic City,Toms River etc.the light pollution is quite bad.The best area I have seen in NJ for low light pollution is down here near the bay.You can actually make the Milky Way out down here but compared to places like Cheery Run ,Pa. Dolly Sodds, WV or many places out west it's still pretty bad.In WV at night I"m actually confused about what is what because there is so much between the bright stars that are at your limit here that it takes a bit to get your bearings. The best night vision in the barrens would to be to get in a pit or small field where the horizons are cut off and all you have is straight up.This will cut the light somewhat. The sad truth is the Barrens aren't as remote as some would like to make out.We send most of our light up into the sky to bounce back down off the atmosphere into our eyes. The orange lights with shields are so much better but it's like pulling teeth to get businesses to use them.They want it to look like daytime at night.