Atsion: Old and Renewed

This might be my favorite thread on here ever. The map is amazing. The old pictures are amazing. The stories and information and theories folks share are all great. njpinebarrens.com forum, you should give yourself a collective pat on the back.

Guy:

Thanks for rectifying the photograph!

The Bailey family resided in Atsion for many years and likely remained tenured there until the state acquired the property, when, I believe, they received a life estate in their property. Their house is the one featured in Post #20 of this thread from Mike Bickerson. IIRC correctly, Bill Bailey was born in Atsion and grew up to become a professional clown, even attending either the Barnum & Bailey or the Ringling Brothers clown school in Florida. He moved away from Atsion, but continued to visit his extended family there, hence the collection of photos.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Every seven years or so, I should contribute something to this thread...

Was organizing old pictures and came across my pictures of the Bailey house before it came down. These are from February 2004.

atsion244.jpg
atsion245.jpg

atsion247.jpg

atsion248.jpg

atsion249.jpg

Reactions: Bog Mermaid

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just read this entire thread, what a treasure this website and forum is. Thanks Ben and all the people that contributed to this.
Sad reading it though with janwar no longer with us. She helped me over the years and visited the site every night.

wks

Scout
Feb 12, 2021
Queens New York
Fascinating information about this area.
I am off on Monday so I hope to check out Atsion.
I have to get there very early before the heat arrives.
I probably will take a taxi back to Hammonton.
Hope I do this trip on Monday.

wks

Scout
Feb 12, 2021
Queens New York
If you're concerned about the heat just wait until next weekend when we (finally) drop back into the 70's. :)

Nice thought but I do not want to wait for next week.
I am at Atlantic City refreshed and ready to depart this morning.
Round Two with Atsion as my next destination.
I will walk to it early in the morning before the heat arrives.