Bass River Fire Tower proposal

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I don't know who got the bid either. I guess I could have asked the guy but I didn't think of it. His trucks have commercial license plates, but no company name on them.

Thanks for the link to the bid. (I guess I would call this a request for bids.) Can anyone explain what this means: "Work with low ground pressure equipment (10 psi or less) must be utilized between Nov 1 to Apr 31." What kinds of equipment would, or would not, meet that requirement?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Could it have been right across the road on this???? If we are uncertain I know the person to ask.

View attachment 10291
For some reason I ended up back on the start of this thread and saw this post and picture. I think I now know what this is. It is a loading platform, sort of like a stand-alone loading dock, probably from CCC days. I guess you would back a truck up to it, unload onto this platform, then ??? Not sure what it looks like from the other side - does it have a ramp? If not, maybe it had a wooden ramp that is now gone?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For some reason I ended up back on the start of this thread and saw this post and picture. I think I now know what this is. It is a loading platform, sort of like a stand-alone loading dock, probably from CCC days. I guess you would back a truck up to it, unload onto this platform, then ??? Not sure what it looks like from the other side - does it have a ramp? If not, maybe it had a wooden ramp that is now gone?

It could be that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Oops, sorry, I made 2 consecutive posts on 2 different topics and messed the thread up.
  • Low Ground Pressure equipment was in reference to the fire tower tree clearing project.
  • The photo of what might be a loading platform was from earlier in the thread, and is located not far from where the trees are being cleared, but there is no connection between the two.
Sorry.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks for the bid sheet. I'm really interested in how much money the State is making on the sale of the timber, or they are paying to remove. This should be public info somewhere.

All commercial registered vehicles in NJ must have the company name on the vehicle. Maybe the company is out of State?
Low pressure contact means large floatation tires or tracks to spread the weight of the equipment to > 10 psi.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A company was just using a similar thing to clear brush out of the power lines right down the road from the fire tower in late summer.

Attachments

• marshmaster.JPG
    marshmaster.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 156

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Here is a machine he had on site before. Based on what 1Jerseydevil said, maybe this counts as a low ground pressure vehicle. Unlike the marshmaster, though, this thing cuts and removes trees. Up to a certain size, anyway.
machine.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited this morning and the man was putting the logs on his vehicle. He seemed friendly and waved to us. They have also started on the southern side of the fire tower location. They cleared the lot of vegetation and are ready to cut trees. Another man was also photographing the action and had a much nicer camera than me.

Sorry for the camera dipping. I was trying to keep the sun to a minimum.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
IMG_3991a.JPG

While there we walked around in a few area's and easily found quite a few property corners. That place is loaded with them.
One of them we had been to before where we searched for a Francis French stone and never found it. Today, Jessica took one poke in the ground and found it. Nothing inscribed as I had hoped.

IMG_4002a.JPG

One was a pipe

IMG_4003a.JPG

Just before we were going to leave we stumbled on this which had been opened up by the cutting. It has NJ on the top.

IMG_4013a.JPG

IMG_4008a.JPG

Look closely where the arrow is pointing. A classic stone that is inscribed.

IMG_4010a.JPG

Dug around it a little. If it is inscribed it is deeper than I wanted to dig.

IMG_4011a.JPG

There were others also. Just as we were walking away from this location a man was walking towards us in the woods. It was an off duty state police officer. Turns out he lives nearby. We were still on state property but his kids saw us in orange and thought we were hunting and he was checking us out. He was super nice and we had a great conversation. Everyone should be as nice as he was.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Here is a machine he had on site before. Based on what 1Jerseydevil said, maybe this counts as a low ground pressure vehicle. Unlike the marshmaster, though, this thing cuts and removes trees. Up to a certain size, anyway.
View attachment 12770
Since the requirement is to use low ground pressure equipment it must be. I figured they would use machines that cut and limb in one operation. This appears to be a small machine, but maybe it's the only size that meets the ground contact requirement.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Since the requirement is to use low ground pressure equipment it must be. I figured they would use machines that cut and limb in one operation. This appears to be a small machine, but maybe it's the only size that meets the ground contact requirement.

I think I read in the description that machine was being used to cut the small stuff first, which makes a lot of sense. It's the track width and the weight that likely contributes greatly to low pressure on the ground.