bay days

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I bet that some of those homes may have been army barracks as was my grandparents at Reeds Beach. Right after the war many of them were sold and moved to shore communities such as Reeds Beach.

Guy

Guy
were they army barracks or perhaps navy barracks?would have made sense to have naval troops stationed on the beach.may have had gunboats anchored there.U boats were known to have enetered delaware bay and are believed to have ascended the river as far as philly.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was told by my grandmother it was army...that's all I know. It was moved there by truck.

I do have some older photo's but they are my moms, so I would have to get them from her and scan them. However, I have a few.

This is when my uncle owned it. (House in the front) I would guess sometime in the 80s. My mom, brother, and I drove there one day and I used her cheep camera.

rb.jpg

He sold it and now lives in Cape May Court House. The new owner altered it.

rb1.jpg

There were good time there, and also turmoil, so the memories are somewhat .....................

Guy

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
I always wanted to yak from tueky point to egg island point.about 12 miles one way.camp overnight on the beach and yak back the next day.

That would be a nice trip. I have considered doing that without the camping. It would be a big day of paddling. I've also thought of launching from the lighthouse. Dodging the boats might prove troublesome.

I have always focused on Fowler Island. I would like to get there. if you ever put that on your agenda, let me know as I would join you.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That would be a nice trip. I have considered doing that without the camping. It would be a big day of paddling. I've also thought of launching from the lighthouse. Dodging the boats might prove troublesome.

I have always focused on Fowler Island. I would like to get there. if you ever put that on your agenda, let me know as I would join you.

I have went by fowlers island years ago and it appeared to be mostly mud but now that i birdeye it it appears to have shrunk considerably and now seem to be mostly sand.it dows look like a neat stop and not far from a put in at bivalve or matts landing at all.
Al

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Catching up here . . .
Re: Whip's latest posts: the sunset clouds and Tuesday-with-Alfie.

What a trek!
What a show!

Here are my votes--
Most thought-provoking: dark rippled clouds in front of banked fire
Most splendid: burning clouds sequence
Most starkly beautiful: weathered grey pilings against a beaten-metal sea
Most ugly: beach debris
Most poignant: moss-gilded beach debris
Most worthy of framing: Camo-Alfie slogging through watery channel into marsh
Most daring: "Insect attack"
Most riveting: "Final resident"
Most handsome: turtle with black-and-white muffler

Thanks, you two!
Glo

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Ah . . . Whipslapsnap . . .

That bit of symmetry is incredible, almost discomfiting, and the colors seem lurid next to the quiet beauty below. Someone's idea of art? Interesting contrast.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Don't tell me he disturbed the integrity of this (disgraceful) site to create that.

Glo

Curiosity certainly draws some of us to places like Thompson's Beach. However, the main topic of discussion between Al and I during our Tuesday visit was how acceptable the mess was. I confessed at one point that the abandoned community is a photographer's dream. Still, with that, and even though having what's left offers one a feel of how it might have been, we'd both had preferred the beaches pristine. (With that in mind, several such beaches are next on our agenda).

Oh, I've had all sorts of fun mirroring images (montages, if you will) of the day. That was one.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Once again, hat's off to both you guys on this last bit. A learning experience illustrated in a literal mosaic of images. I can't even really pick a favorite. Bill, you do incredible work and Al, if you didn't bring his ass back from all these forages, we'd never have these treats. Such a fascinating place. So left behind. Al does add an interesting dimension to many of the images. Thanks again both for sharing!

g.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bill

Have you ever been to Cook's or Kimble's Beach, i heard that they are pristine ?

Jim

jim
i canoed out goshen creek once and think i was on one of those beaches but i didn't walk far as the tide was about to abndon me and i didn't want to camp out for the night,or at least i wasn't at liberty to.they are on our agenda ,eventually we plan to hit all the roadless beaches and I'm sure whip will post pics and commentary on each one.if we have to swim any criks to get to any we will put the camera on timer and you can see me towing whip across with a life jacket on and a rope attached to it.After a little misadventure on the upper delaware he has become quite attached to life jackets at times.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Once again, hat's off to both you guys on this last bit. A learning experience illustrated in a literal mosaic of images. I can't even really pick a favorite. Bill, you do incredible work and Al, if you didn't bring his ass back from all these forages, we'd never have these treats. Such a fascinating place. So left behind. Al does add an interesting dimension to many of the images. Thanks again both for sharing!

g.

Thats the nice thing about whip.As long as he has batteries and space on his card for pics and has power and space for his recorder he cares not one whit if he will ever make it out alive.When one of his gadgets fails he turns at me with this most god awful look of despair and says Alfie,take me home.I say use your new gps to navigate back to the car.he sez i forgot to turn it on and mark the car.i tell him to use the topo map i put in it for him and he sez I'm too tired to read it.I tell him to follow the north star where upon he sezy ^$*@# Alfie get me the &%$# outta here and i do because the next step is physical violence.
Al

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com

g.

:) You said it well, George. What a pair!

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I don't know why I follow this maniac.

IMG_9318.jpg

The idea being to penetrate a marsh from this road entering the deep, darkest heart of America.

IMG_9329.jpg

Don't go, Whip!

IMG_9322.jpg

Planned point of entry.

IMG_9335.jpg

"I don't know why I'm married to you, Alfie."

IMG_9342.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

"Ahem. Um, Alfie?"

IMG_9354.jpg

"I'm think I'm being chased by a snapper!"

IMG_9356.jpg

"Don't worry, Whip! I've got him!"

IMG_9345.jpg

Wants my ass.

IMG_9348.jpg

Stressed snapper free to pursue some other panicked marshwhacker.

IMG_9340.jpg

Cameraman still wobbly.

IMG_9334.jpg

Tree Whip-toppled during bullrush flee from snapper.

IMG_9331.jpg

Alfie, fed up, decides to abandon marsh plan and head for the fields.

IMG_9357.jpg

"I'm sorry."

IMG_9358.jpg

IMG_9360.jpg

"But that was a mean snapper, Alfie. It was nipping at my heels."

IMG_9368.jpg

"You mean your high heels, Whip."

IMG_9369_Painting.jpg

"We can go back to the marsh if you really want to."

IMG_9375.jpg

"Alfie? Are you mad at me? You're always walking away from me."

IMG_9376.jpg

"I hope you don't plan on walking in that tall grass!"

IMG_9377.jpg

"Alfie!!!"

IMG_9384.jpg

"I'm hungry, Alfie. Is this wheat?"

IMG_9391.jpg

"Stop crying, Whip."

IMG_9399.jpg

"You, uh, you don't think that snapper followed us here, do you?"

"That's it, you wimp. I'm leaving."
IMG_9400.jpg

"Okay! I'll be good from now on, Alfie! Let's go look for some pretty things!"
IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9441.jpg

IMG_9443.jpg

IMG_9451.jpg

IMG_9452.jpg

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

IMG_9325_Painting.jpg

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
This is high drama, featuring our bloody but unbowed hero, a black-visaged, snappish villain, and, for contrast, the beautiful marsh setting.

Consider:
the warning—(boxie’s wise admonition)
heartache—(“I don’t know why I …”)
fears for hero (“Um, Alfie?”)
conflict—("I’m being chased by a snapper")
—("Alfie!"/ "Stop crying, Whip.")
clever incongruity—(high heels in marsh)
victorious climax—(“Don’t worry, I’ve got him!”)
hero’s honorable actions ("Stressed snapper free . . ")
satisfying denouement ("Okay . . . let’s go look . . .")

Best of all, lovely asides: the meadow adrift in white; a leaf-starred pool; high-rise fungi with delectable colors and sculptured contours. And the stem-sprigs with Alfie-sprigs.

Thanks, Alfie, for forging ahead.
Whip, as playwright and producer, your name should go up in lights.

Glo