Be careful out there...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
http://nj1015.com/a-holiday-crackdown-on-drunk-drivers-is-underway-audio/

Drive sober or get pulled over. That’s the message from New Jersey Attorney General Paula Dow and Acting Director of the Division of Highway Traffic Safety Gary Poedubicky who have announced the launch of a stepped-up holiday drunk driving enforcement campaign.
The campaign will provide federal grants of $5,000 to 98 law enforcement agencies throughout the state to implement the impaired driving enforcement initiative. “They will be conducting saturation patrols and sobriety checkpoints looking for motorists who may be driving while intoxicated,” said Poedubicky. “The enforcement crackdown will run until January 2.”

Apparently, police profiling is ok in this case...

This year’s initiative will target 18-34 year-old males, the most at-risk demographic. In 2010, 73 drivers in that age group died in alcohol-related crashes in New Jersey. Sixty-one of them, or 84 percent, were male. “Overall, 80 percent of drunk driving fatalities in the Garden State were male-related last year,” said Poedubicky.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I agree completely Guy. I don't drink and drive and am a lot older than that, so nobody is going to bother me. Still, I dislike targeting that specific group. We all know that "it's all about the money" these days and not anything high-minded like public safety. Just like the seatbelt and cell phone laws (I always wear seatbelts and don't talk on the phone while driving also).

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Police officers do not think it's funny when I purposely slur my speech and tell them "I'm not as think as you drunk I am" :)
I had one cop stop me for no reason whatsoever late on a friday night and ask me where I was coming from,told him Borders in delaware (the truth) where you going.Home.wheres that Duh! he had my license. I told him laurel lake (the truth) I knew this was coming .How much you had to drink. I told him nothing in the last 40 years (I was 40 years old then) Also the truth.He looked at me as if i was a friggin escapee from Ancora.I said why did you stop me.He said my license plate light was out.(not the truth) I checked it when I got home and it was on. Cop was a liar,I was a saint:)

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I encountered a Maryland State Trooper once who was pissed off that I wasn't drunk. He had just pulled me over late at night for doing 105 mph down a two-lane country road in my '78 Caprice. He couldn't believe anyone who was sober would be that stupid. I educated him on just how dumb a sober person could be!

As for two beers getting you over the limit... yeah, if you are below a certain weight and drink them both within an hour. I don't think you'd be over for very long, though.

I think this test should be standard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62c5302pYY

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
MarkBNJ, that test could present a problem. What if you have low standards and high expectations? (The Wingman Law):D

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
New Jersey law on sobriety check points is set forth in State v. Kirk, 202 N.J. Super. 28, 40-41 (App. Div. 1985) which explains that in order to be constitutional a checkpoint must provide adequate warning to the public in advance of the checkpoint in order to deter people from drinking and driving, and the checkpoint must be fully marked.