Beer (again)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, you are entitled to your opinion Guy. But lets unpackage this a bit since you started to open it up. What kind of food do you eat? What is your favorite drink?

The point is I don't make a post about the food or liquid I drink. Beer drinkers for some odd reason think it is worthy of doing that. There is nothing fascinating about beer that warrants a post on it.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The point is I don't make a post about the food or liquid I drink. Beer drinkers for some odd reason think it is worthy of doing that. There is nothing fascinating about beer that warrants a post on it.

Guy

I disagree. After six or seven of them I find myself concentrating intently on the liquid in the glass. So it must be pretty fascinating.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Teegate said:
The point is I don't make a post about the food or liquid I drink. Beer drinkers for some odd reason think it is worthy of doing that.

People have posted on this forum about various things that they find pleasure in, from food to film to music.

There is nothing fascinating about beer that warrants a post on it.

There is much fascinating about beer, e.g. its long and complex history in human affairs, its ingredients and the brewing process, the happy feelings it's known to produce, etc.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Guy

Sure there is! That ain't rootbeer in this glass :guinness:

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
here are a few of my favs: Michelob amber boch (hope i spelled that right), stella artois, MGD, miller high life is pretty good (champagne of beers), John Courage, and El Presidente (the beer of the dominican republic.. boy i drank a lot of that 2 yrs ago :guinness:) .. guess is good too.. only on tap though.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Most of our Founding Fathers, if not brewers themselves, had quite a taste for beer. Yards Brewing out of Philly, while not as good all around as they once were, brews a a series of beers after the recipes of some of our most beloved forefathers: Washington's Porter, Jefferson's Tavern Ale, and a Spruce Ale (now we're talkin!) acording to Franklin's own recipe.

If you can believe the T-shirts in the Tun Tavern, Ben Franklin said "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Unfortunately, Scott—this is yet another apocryphal story about Ben Franklin and his quotes. The correct quote authentically attributable to the cosmopolitan Mr. Franklin is:

“Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.”

Franklin wrote this sentence in a letter to French economist Andre Mollet circa 1779. I suspect some beer lovers felt slighted and morphed the statement into a quote about beer!!

However, there are many quotes related to beer, including one of the oldest:

"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato, the Greek Philosopher, 428-437 B.C.

I am in the camp of Teegate on this one, although I am not much of an imbiber anyway. But you all can always buy me a club soda with a twist of lime on Sunday!! :)

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I think Jack Handy said it best:

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."