Boyd's Map of the Pines beta available

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks to Ben's help, the first beta version of my Map of the Pines is now ready for download. Merry Christmas everyone! :dance:

I'll use this thread to provide instructions and help. But please remember this is BETA, and it's free, so I make no guarantees or promises... use at your own risk! Having said this, I have used the maps pretty extensively on a Garmin 60csx, Nuvi and Oregon and haven't seen any problems or glaring errors yet. Special thanks to to Guy (TeeGate) for his help with testing, his contributions to the points of interest and roads, and for putting the maps online here!

I believe these maps will work on just about any Garmin GPS, but feel free to try and prove me wrong :)

As I mentioned in the other thread, this map covers all of New Jersey south of Interstate 195.

For more information on this project plus some screenshots see the following thread: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=5886

Enjoy! I hope you find these maps fun and useful.

Reactions: sgtdave4321

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Download instructions

Note: new download links as of December 26, 2010

The current versions of my Maps are available for download as follows. They are only compatible with Garmin GPS units, but anybody can use them on their computer with free software from Garmin.

Classic Version: Use for the GPSMap 60 and 76 series, eTrex series and any other older units. It is now compatible with Mapsource and includes an installer to take care of everything for you. This version is out of date and should only be used if my newer "Map of New Jersey" won't work properly on your unit. Download it from GPSFileDepot here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/439/

For the Nuvi, Oregon, Colorado and Dakota: Boyd's Map of the New Jersey / GS Edition. This map has replaced "Boyd's Map of the Pines" and includes all the same data with many new improvements. Even if you have an older model that doesn't completely support it (or if you don't have a GPS at all), the map can be used on your computer (Windows and Mac). Free download from GPSFileDepot:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

LC (Land Cover) Version: This was sort of an old experiment of mine, and I don't suggest that you use it anymore. It doesn't work properly on some new units..

USGS 24k Topo's and NJ 2007 Aerials: If you have a Garmin Oregon, Dakota or Colorado see the scanned topo maps and aerial imagery of the pine barrens in my GPSFileDepot collection:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/

This is an old thread and much of the information in it is no longer current. The links in this post will take you to all current versions of my maps. You will find documentation and installation instructions at GPSFileDepot. No need to jump through any hoops to use these maps - they will work in Mapsource and Basecamp just like other Garmin maps.

Happy exploring!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

Thanks you again for my early Christmas present :) They always are the best kind.

All,

If you are a 60CSx user and have any confusion, here are the instructions I made for myself the other day while adding the maps to my GPS. It corresponds pretty closely with Boyd's info. I tried to make it as detailed as possible for myself so I would not have problems if I needed to load them at a future date. Here they are.

For 60CSx users and maybe others.

Hook your GPS to the computer with the USB cable. Turn the GPS on and keep hitting the “Page” button until the Main Menu displays. Navigate to the “Setup” icon using the “Enter” button, and then navigate to the “Interface” icon. Push the “Enter” button again and use the bottom arrow button to navigate down to “USB Mass Storage.” Again, push the "Enter" button and you will hear a beep which means you are connected. If you have a Mac a drive will show up on your desktop called “NO NAME”, and if you have XP or Vista go to the Start Menu/My Computer to see the drive.

In the drive will be a folder called Garmin, and if not make one. If you have that folder there may be a file inside called gmapsupp.img. I would recommend you back it up by copying it to your drive. Next, rename the gmapsupp.img that is in the “Garmin” folder to anything you prefer, but I would suggest just changing the g to h so the file is now called hmapsupp.img. If you have any problems later just change the h back to a g and it will be returned to normal. After you have changed the files name, copy in Boyd’s .img file and name it gmapsupp.img. Unmount the “NO NAME” drive from your computer, reboot your GPS, and Boyd’s topo’s are now in use.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
After installing the maps, you will need to select them and make them visible.

On the 60csx and other "classic" Garmin handhelds: Press MENU > MENU >SETUP > MAP. Use the cursor button to select the (i) Info icon at the top of the screen. You will see a list of any maps stored on your unit. Select the Map of the Pines by placing a check mark in the box:

[

Boyd,

I just rebooted and your maps were enabled on my 60CSx so there is a chance other users may not need to do that. Did you have to enable them?

In any event, I recomend anyone who installs Boyd's Map of the Pines to check and uncheck this feature to see how much you are getting for free from Boyd, especially if you do not currently own Topo maps. His gift is worth over $100 if you were planning to buy the topos to explore the pines. Not bad for free.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks for the kind words Guy :). If this is the only map installed on your GPS then you might not need to enable it. But if you don't see the maps, or think you're still seeing another map (like US Topo or City Navigator), follow my instructions for enabling.

If installing on a Nuvi then you will definitely need to use my instructions. The Nuvi's contain pre-loaded City Navigator maps which will be enabled by default. As long as they are enabled they will cover up the Map of the Pines. Uncheck the box next to the City Navigator maps as shown in the screenshot above.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Loaded Onto A Nuvi 350

Thanks so much Boyd! I'm sure you have an incredible amount of time dedicated to this project and it is truly appreciated.

I've been looking forward to your release and just completed the install to my NUVI 350. I had no other maps on my Nuvi other than City Navigator. I did have to edit the filename when copied to the Nuvi. Your instruction was to rename it to "gmapsupp.img" which I did ( I had no other file name by that description prior) but it was not being recognized on the Nuvi as an available map. I noticed that on my file listing of maps in the Nuvi that the main City Navigator map did not have a file extension in its name so I eliminated the ".img" from "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapsupp" and it then recognized your map.

I've scrolled around the screen through the pines and it all appears to be there. I hope to give it a drive test in the next week or so. I am noticing that all road names will have a capital letter and then .... , for example Vincentown Columbus Rd will appear as V...... C....... R. I know you have touched on this some and I may have to go back and read more as to where you are at with that. All town names and interesting locations which I assume you have added appear normal.

Again thanks so much for a very generous gift to all.

Bill

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Glad you like it Bill, it's been a fun project for me. That is very odd about dropping the .img from the filename - never heard of this. I believe the 350 is one of the oldest members of the Nuvi family, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The problem you describe with names is exactly the same one I encountered on the 60csx. For example, "Medford Lakes Rd" would appear as "M------ L---- R-". The quick fix for this is to simply download the other version of the map which uses all CAPITAL letters. For some reason, the GPS can display mixed case town names but not mixed case road names. I thought I found the solution for this, but it hasn't worked so I need to dig a little deeper. Garmin's topo maps handle this properly.

[edit]One other question - are you using a Mac or a PC? I am mostly a Mac/Unix/Linux user and mapmaking is one of the only things I do on Windows :) However I believe there's an option which globally hides file extensions under Windows. I wonder if that could be somehow related to the .img filename problem?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was able to try out the map last weekend, and I am really impressed with the altitude lines on them. If you are someone who is interested in the elevations you are exploring like I am, Boyd's maps are for you. Here is a comparison where you can see what I am referring to. The bottom map is Boyd's. Also note his inclusion of all the shape files of the area. They are the green areas that show the state property lines. This is very handy when exploring the woods so you can know when you are about to drift off of state land. You wouldn't want to do that would you? :)

Click on the map to make it larger.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/12202008/boyd.jpg

Guy

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Glad you like it Bill, it's been a fun project for me. That is very odd about dropping the .img from the filename - never heard of this. I believe the 350 is one of the oldest members of the Nuvi family, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The problem you describe with names is exactly the same one I encountered on the 60csx. For example, "Medford Lakes Rd" would appear as "M------ L---- R-". The quick fix for this is to simply download the other version of the map which uses all CAPITAL letters. For some reason, the GPS can display mixed case town names but not mixed case road names. I thought I found the solution for this, but it hasn't worked so I need to dig a little deeper. Garmin's topo maps handle this properly.

So try downloading/installing this version and you should be OK:

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/boydmap/pines_v018b_CAPS.img

I will revise the instructions above to note this exception in the Nuvi line. Let us know how the test drive goes.

[edit]One other question - are you using a Mac or a PC? I am mostly a Mac/Unix/Linux user and mapmaking is one of the only things I do on Windows :) However I believe there's an option which globally hides file extensions under Windows. I wonder if that could be somehow related to the .img filename problem?

Boyd,

I downloaded the Caps program and the road names are fine as you stated.

I think I discovered the problem with the .img extension. I copied it over as per your original instructions and again it would not appear on the Nuvi. I removed the ".img" and once again it appeared and worked fine.

What I noticed is I was changing the name of the file before copying it into the Nuvi, i.e. changing it to "gmapsupp.img" then simply copying it directly to the Garmin directory. After copying it into the Garmin directory and while the file would read "gmapsupp.img" on the screen, upon opening properties after transferring the file it was actually "gmapsupp.img.img" and thus not being recognized. Would the Nuvi automatically assign an .img extension?

I know enough often to get by however usually enough to get myself in trouble as well!

And yes, the NUVI 350 is ancient history already!

Just wanted to offer more information.

Bill

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Like I said, I don't know much about Windows either. But I'm *guessing* you have set the option to hide extensions, so when you named the file gmapsupp.img there was actually a hidden .img already tacked on to the end.

Somebody can help me out here, but I think you should go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options and scroll down the list in the View tab. There is an option "Hide extensions for known file types." I suspect this will avoid of variety of confusing problems in Windows, or at least it has for me, so I un-checked it.:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree Boyd. You are correct that is the problem. I have added the file names to files and soon learned they were for example .img.img

Guy

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Boyd, Thank you for this incredible dataset! I've been playing around with it this afternoon on my Garmin Etrex Legend C and it works great! The Legend C does only have 24MB of non-removable solid state memory available; however leaving out one of the files (C1- Lower Cape May) allows them to fit nicely for the areas I travel. Even with all the detail the refresh rate is faster than what I was getting with the previous mapset I had loaded (The Legend C is pretty slow). Thanks again for all your hard work, its appreciated!

Michael

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Cool Michael - thanks! I used a Legend C for several years myself and it was a real classic which I liked a lot. Glad the map works and that you were able to fit most of it into memory. Segments A1 (6.6MB) and B1 (8MB) are by far the largest, and I believe this is mostly due to the higher road density around Philadelphia and Trenton.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Works great Boyd. Loaded to a NUVI 750 on an SD card. Ni problems, no issues, fantastic detail. Will try it on the Vista classic next. Thanks again.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Great 46er. Looks like you were posting that at the same time as I was writing my POI instructions above. Let me know how it goes if you install the custom POI file on your Nuvi.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

What is the 18 next to Forked River Mountains? Is that the position the text is in?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Boyd,

What is the 18 next to Forked River Mountains? Is that the position the text is in?

Ha, I was waiting for someone to ask that :) It's just that Garmin has allowed a limited number of characters to be displayed on the screen. FRM is classified as a "summit", and that form of POI includes the elevation (in feet). So the full label reads "Forked River Mountain, 180" but the "0" isn't showing. You can verify this by selecting it and you will see the full text.

Also notice that on the higher resolution Nuvi screen you see the full information.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe you could abbreviate Mountains so it will show?

Also, can I see the complete list in the files you sent me the other day?

Guy