Crews Battling Wildfire Along Mullica River in South Jersey’s Wharton State Forest

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ok. I drove all the way to the bridge behind the church. I tried West Mill but the gate is back up. Next I went down Rockwood road. It looks like during the fire the FFS improved the road filling in all the holes. In my Jeep I really didn’t need 4wd. Its a lot of soft sand and no water, for now. It’s a pretty rough since it was recently pushed through but passable all the way to West Mill.

I wonder how far down I could reasonably get my little BMW down without getting stuck or causing problems.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder how far down I could reasonably get my little BMW down without getting stuck or causing problems.
Which road? Rockwood Road?

I would suggest you not take it down any of them even though I have not been down Rockwood Road in a few years. Even West Mill road has puddles and dips and fireline is one you should never take a BMW on. That complete area is a tough one to access.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Which road? Rockwood Road?

I would suggest you not take it down any of them even though I have not been down Rockwood Road in a few years. Even West Mill road has puddles and dips and fireline is one you should never take a BMW on. That complete area is a tough one to access.
Yeah. It'll do Speedwell-Friendship Rd but that's as much as I ask of it. For some reason I thought Rockwell Rd. was paved at least partially. Google Maps doesn't seem to back that up.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
John said they fixed it but after dozers fix the roads they get sandy ruts soon after. You don't want to get stuck out there.

If you do go and have a problem, give me a call.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Maybe I'll just park on the shoulder and walk in. :/

But thank you!
Rockwood road is maintained a ways back. Shortly after the last few houses it gets very soft. There are also a lot of roots since it was just cleared. You should be able to make it a ways back but once you hit the soft area it’s like that the rest of the way. A stock vehicle with 4wd shouldn’t have much problem as long as you have enough ground clearance. You should have no problem making it close to the bogs

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, it's no Jeep but it got me down Rockwood Rd. past the houses and far enough where the really burnt places were only a short hike away. :D I had to make a 47 point turn to get out since I would have gotten stuck if I went down any further.

It was so nice to get out in the woods, especially with that campfire smell.

IMG_2889.JPG