Do you believe in aliens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I AM BY NO MEANS THE MASTER OF THIS SIGHT BUT IN THE NAME OF DECENCY WILL YOU FOLKS BY ANY MEANS TRY TO AVOID TYPOS AND/OR SIMPLE IGNORANCE IN THE SPELLING OF EVEN SO MUCH AS MONOSYLLABIC WORDS?
g.

Gol, i just only wuz tellin you thet I seen em. no need to get yer panties inter a wad.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Gol, i just only wuz tellin you thet I seen em. no need to get yer panties inter a wad.

Yer cule wit mee Bob,
In your case I just accept any literary work as a bleed over from the "Beer" thread. That or aliens took over your computer, only after you paid them below fair wages to do your landscaping.
Wait a minute, what kind of aliens were we talking about again?
I could have been reading the wrong thread. My Site isn't what it used to be.

g.

George:

AMEN and AMEN!!! I am beginning to think Ben needs to institute a basic intelligence test to join these forums—or at least a rudimentary English and grammar test! Geez Louise, but when someone in their late 20s or older cannot capitalize initial words in sentences, spell correctly, use “their” for “there,” or the plethora of other egregious errors I see in the postings on these forums on a regular basis, it is, indeed, a very sad day !! The occasional typographical error is one thing, but come on, folks, we are all supposed to be adults here, not dolts! Since I write for a living, spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, and poor punctuation really gets under my skin and there are whole threads which I resolve not to read because of such foolishness! Posting to these forums is an expression of your voice in written form. If you speak as poorly as you write, then talking to you would be a total waste of my time! So, please get with the program here and clean up your postings—or I’ll post again and tell you how I REALLY feel!

Jerseyman

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
While not the sole cause, I blame much of this on the instant message/texting era we are now in. Our children are being conditioned to communicate with no regard for grammar, spelling or punctuation. When one of my children send me an e-mail now I feel like I’ve intercepted a communication between Klingon vessels.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Jerseyman,
Thank you.

German,
Dead on. My daughter's friends text her and her back in return in what
could only be considered a horror of dialogue. Have we really lost that thing in our written word that sets us apart from simple ignorance?

I have to stop. I really need to get my sights set back on this site and give up on trying to cite any precedents that make any of this tollerable.
Ironically, I have to go help my daughter work on her project of a breakdown of a single sell. That however is a cyte of a different nature.

I still love you Bob.

g.

i feel like that's was completely directed at me.

Prodirt18:

I did not address my comments to you or any one person in particular, but those who submit postings that are barely intelligible know who they are and should reevaluate their written communication methodology. I do not ever attempt to speak for Ben and Guy, but I think as a subscriber here, I can and do expect all posters to employ reasonable and acceptable standards relative to grammar and punctuation. I suspect many other subscribers maintain the same expectations. If anyone is incapable of using such standards, they should consider one of three options:

1. Retain the services of an attorney and sue the school system they attended;

2. Return to school and retake relevant coursework in English, Composition, and Grammar;

3. Refrain from posting on these forums.

Tom Lehrer put it much more succinctly than me:

“I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up.”

Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not taking sides on this, and as far as I can remember have never criticized anyone for their grammar and punctuation especially since without the spell checker in my email program this thread could be directed at me. I know of many individuals much more intelligent than me who can’t type or express themselves properly in writing. In fact, the spell checker in my mail program (Entourage) has “their” and “there” completely wrong, so what does that say for programmers at Microsoft. I certainly have not perfected my writing skills and rarely post anything without using a spell checker, and I would suggest that others do the same. It is a crime that schools concentrate and spend much of their money on sports when typing and writing skills need the attention. In the interim everyone needs to sharpen their skills and have more tolerance with those that want to express their views here or the next post from someone may be about you.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Excellent Guy, excellent!
Your words are true. I've actually never had too much trouble taking a written punch though.
But tell me, what is "spell checker"? Perhaps I could use it. Far from perfect am I if I must say.

Jerseyman,
Your sense of humor sir is fantastic in that intellect rises to the top and bites like a rattler.

Well,
I've had my fun and given enough rushed spelling errors along the way to let anyone have at me.(Thanks Lynn) Folks aside from taking a jab at grammar I've managed to bring to fruition the true purpose of my evil plan. I have succesfully hijacked and fully turned a 180 on a thread that truly deserves it. Aliens? This thread attracts some real winners.

Now wait till I employ my true thoughts on the idiotic use of smilies to the Bigfoot thread.

g.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
George:

AMEN and AMEN!!! I am beginning to think Ben needs to institute a basic intelligence test to join these forums—or at least a rudimentary English and grammar test!
<snip...>

I had to laugh a little on this one, on the forum I run we actually did have to start requiring people to answer a basic question in order to sign up. Nothing too hard, just something that requires people to think (eg: "How many apples is four dozen apples?") It isn't to weed out people, but instead used to weed out the bots and spammers that had been hitting the site hard. So far, it's working.

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Some people wouldn't think the four dozen apples test is simple. I will never forget the day my husband ordered a dozen wings at a restaurant and had to explain what a dozen is to the 20-something taking his order.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Oh my, am I glad someone finally said this. I work with programmers, who are supposed to be fairly well-educated, and you would be amazed at how many of them absolutely cannot construct a sentence. I don't look down on people who just can't write well. What I am completely intolerant of is "text speak" abbreviations like "ur" or "u." I once told a guy that if I saw one more "u" in an internal email from him I was going to can his ass. He came by my desk about an hour later and told me he assumed I was joking. I replied that he was free to assume whatever he liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.