Fall/Winter Stone Searching 2021/2022

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Could be. That area was closed. Maybe the signs went up then.
They must have gone up within the last couple of days, a week at the most. With only 2 nails they're not going to be long-lived. Not that the usual 10+ make any difference.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I agree with Gibby! There have been restricted area signs there before the WMA closures last year. There is also the no ATV pictogram signs too.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
There is quite a bit of history still visible in that general area if you have the time to slowly walk through the woods heading in a north east direction. One of the nicest brick steam engine bases I have come across is nearby.

Last edited:

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I went through some old files and managed to find a picture of the "fancy" brick steam engine base. This is located with in a good walk of Old Halfway.

Attachments

• 8349638165_9af96a35e5_c.jpg
    8349638165_9af96a35e5_c.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 119

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We again returned to Parkdale and I was able to find one of the stones in the middle of Fleming Pike. It is not the one I hoped to find but a find anyway. This stone was 6 inches underground and we had to poke around for a while to find it.

DSC_3871a.jpg

The view down the unused portion of Fleming Pike

DSC_3873a.jpg

And on Sandy Causeway.

DSC_3876a.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This morning I left the house alone at 6:30 and headed over to Maple Island Road. It was just getting light enough for me to search for the Sleeper Azimuth since the FFS burned the woods pretty well there. Unfortunately, I was not able to find it. I then headed to the Oswego Swamp which was my primary goal for the day. The road I usually park at now has the plastic signs telling me to not drive down it so I had to walk a little further to get to the edge of the swamp.

This is an interesting road along the edge of the cedars that I walked for a little while.

DSC_3884b.jpg

Once I arrived at the cedars I realized a nightmare was ahead of me. I decided right then and there to bail out and return in the summer when it is dry. It was flooded and the dead cedars had all fallen down. So I headed to the Wading Pines area and searched at a few places. The below photo shows a stone monument that a more recent property owner placed there. This is a corner to Lot 23 of the Oswego tract.

DSC_3887a.jpg

While going through the deeds for the property above, I noticed that in the early to mid 90s the property had some tax issues.

tax.jpg

I looked for the below monument a few years ago and as I passed by the area today I checked on it again. It was right there in front of me and told me to look 10 feet away for a stone. Nothing there. So with a few pokes in the ground I hit metal and dug this old pipe up.

DSC_3901a.jpg

DSC_3902a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was in Greenwood today and noticed this. It is home made but the spout has some issues. It does not allow the food to come out properly. I suspect it has been there for a while as the wood holding it up is fading, but the food is still full.

IMG_6202a.jpg

IMG_6203a.jpg

There obviously was a dwelling there at one time and the pipes from Union Clay are still pretty much intact.

IMG_6201a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The problem is the bait does not come out at all. I was not able to get but a few pieces to come out.