Harrisville Tour

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
That dam is associated with the earlier mill (had a company name) at the site that Adriane shows some pictures of in her gallery. It's probably the area where the alledged furnace used to be.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
BobM said:
Thanks, very interesting. You were also saying you could give me a link to something about Dover Forge?

bob

Bob,

Have you tried the archives at the Hagley museum and Monmouth County?

Try these links to see if this is the type of thing you're looking for:

http://www.monmouth.com/~mcha3/coll8.html

http://38.115.62.80/cgi-bin/Pwebrec...=748&SA=Dover+Forge+(Lacey,+N.J.).&HC=1&SID=3

I'm fairly certain that the New Jersey State Archives should have some relevent primary sources as well; I've never searched their databases however, so no guarantee.

Hope these help!

wombat

Mar 22, 2005
East Norriton, PA
Hi guys, I just found this website and joined. This is fascinating stuff. I hope to make it to the Harrisville trip on April 16, if I can make it past the devil-worshippers and albino midgets on the way......

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BEHR655 said:
Ben hasn't stated a meeting place yet but I would imagine it would be at the Harrisville Pond on Rt 679.

Steve

Actually I did. :)

We're going to meet at the Paper Mill ruins on 679, across from the new dam. There is plenty of parking and it's close to where we will be walking.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Here's an update on the trip.

We're going to be met at 9AM by an official from the Wharton State Forest historic department, who will give us the tour (less work for me), as well as give us a tour of the ruins inside the fenced in area.

However, the state does not do things for free. :) So they're asking for a donation from the group to help cover the costs of providing us the guide, etc. So, I would appreciate it if everyone brought a few $ with them to help cover the cost of the guide. I think it's well worth $5 or so to be able to legally go inside the fenced in area and explore.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
that sounds great I will kick in a couple bucks.
I do a lot of canoeing on the Wading River so I know the area.
Correct me if I'm wrong: If I take 563 through Chatsworth I will eventually to a "Y" split and one of the roads is 679. Is this the way to the parking area/meeting spot
Thank you

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Update: The gentleman who was going to be giving the tour is not going to be able to make it, so once again I will be leading the group. We will still have access to the fenced off area.

I have also (today) found the ruins of the second sawmill located a short way away from Harrisville. There is not much to see besides some sandstone, but I can bring the group there. I would highly suggest long sleeves or a jacket, because the area is DENSE in briars.

This second sawmill might be Belangee's mill and somehow related to the Wading River Forge/Slitting Mill, although I am not 100% certain. The Fowler book claims that this was just a sawmill that provided lumber for Harrisville, putting it's date later than the W.R. Forge.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Sounds like a fun trip. I'll try to make it too, unless something comes up.

That dam (if it is the one I'm thinking of) was built to divert water from the Wading River to Harrisville Pond, to ensure enough water during dry spells to operate the various enterprises there. If you look at the topo map, you can clearly see the route of the old canal. I've never heard of a mill at the site, but it is certainly a possibility.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
GermanG said:

That dam (if it is the one I'm thinking of) was built to divert water from the Wading River to Harrisville Pond, to ensure enough water during dry spells to operate the various enterprises there. If you look at the topo map, you can clearly see the route of the old canal. I've never heard of a mill at the site, but it is certainly a possibility.

There are two sawmills associated with Harrisville, along with the Wading River Forge and Slitting Mill. There was also a grist mill.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
GermanG said:

Are you German from the old PBX site? Pronounced gurmen?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Jessica and I will most likely be there on Saturday, but will be leaving before the tour is over.

Guy