Harrisville Tour

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will let Ben or others explain the day, but will pass along two "Then And Now" photo's that I have added to my gallery.

In this photo the top portion shows the ruins in 1981 and the bottom view shows it today. Notice at the top there has been some considerable loss of stones in the past 25 years.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

In this photo the top section shows my brother on our first visit there in May of 1973. This was before the fence was up. (It was up by 1975) The next two sections shows myself and my daughter there today.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=1

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
what a great day today! it's always nice to see the usual crowd, and really nice to see some new faces.

i'm glad that harrisville went over well, and it made me happy to hear so many people say "wow, I never knew that was here." There still are a few buildings that we didn't get to, but we covered the really important ones.

we went out to martha and the ellis adams farmhouse at calico after lunch. despite the gnats flying around, i think most people enjoyed seeing the cellar hole there. for a treat, go find the beck book (either forgotten towns or more forgotten towns) with the chapter on Calico. the photo that's in the chapter is of the farmhouse as it was in the 1930s - with only a chimney remaining.

all in all, a WONDEFUL trip and i am really happy that everyone seemed to have such a good time.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It really was one of those truly great days; good weather, good exploring, and good company. I enjoyed it very much. I'm hoping to see some good photos.

wombat

Mar 22, 2005
East Norriton, PA
Yesterday at Harrisville was fun; the weather was great and I met a bunch of nice people (although I must admit I can't really remember anyone's name now!). I didn't even get any ticks or chiggers. The "before and after" pictures of the mill ruins are amazing, that they could deteriorate so much in only 24 years. I don't know what the state could do to preserve these sites, though? I'm looking forward to more exploration trips with you guys.
Barry

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
Thank you Ben and everyone for yesterday. It was great finally meeting some of the 'famous' people on this board. What a very nice bunch of people you all are. Thanks for making my husband and I feel welcomed. We will definately make it to another 'outing' with you all.

I've tried uploading some pictures this morning but it's giving me an error right now. Will try again later today.

Thanks again for a wonderful day. You couldn't have asked for better weather or better company yesterday. Thank you ALL. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
There is quite a difference Guy. Is that view through the fence adjacent to the gate or is it around the back?

Steve

It is along the road. I am in the road in the photo of me.

Guy

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
I really loved it as well. I am just getting over it. We watched our video and it was funny, educational, inspiring, and a memory we will never forget. George with his gentle and caring way with our little furry friends...having a 'Shader reunion' with Guppy after not seeing him for over a decade, and meeting the lovely Beverly...Jeff's plans falling through to hang the rest of the day...Bob and those waders as he walked through Martha Pond and planting the possible weekend camping idea(t-bone baby)....seeing Guy and Jess again...the couple whose names escape me but had the beautiful Dane with big blue eyes...Steve and his Tarzan impression at Martha...and last but not least, Ben with his knowledge, excitement, planning, and drive to give us not only a good day, but to let us touch a part of history, and give us more appreciation of an important town.

These towns and these people worked so hard and broke ground in an ungiving enviornment that would set the precedent for our evolution as a people. The day humbled me. And meeting with you guys again makes me appreciate these places and excursions even more.

Where next? :)

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I regretfully missed the trip on Saturday. My brakes on my truck went out.
I would like to take a trip there to check it out for myself this week. Does anyone have any tips for going there? Thanks and I look forward to the next trip.
Tom

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
long-a-coming said:
I regretfully missed the trip on Saturday. My brakes on my truck went out.
I would like to take a trip there to check it out for myself this week. Does anyone have any tips for going there? Thanks and I look forward to the next trip.
Tom

Hold off for a week or so. I should have something that might help you out by then.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Hey, I really enjoyed the photos. I was hoping to make it to this outing and meet you guys, but I hurt my back this past week. Excellent photos, though.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Had a great time on Saturday! Always a pleasure seeing familar faces and it was real nice meeting some of you for the first time. Highlights for me:
1)getting behind the gate of Harrisville (and without fear of prosecution)
2)knowing the function of the more accessable ruins as Harrisville (gristmill, sawmill, schools house, mansions etc.)
3)The slag pile at Martha
4)The furry encounter at Martha
5)That cool spot Bear brought us to (gonna do some fishing!)
6)and of course hanging with you' all

I'm really glad I was able to come back for the 2nd half of the day.