Hurricane

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/Current.aspx?location=USVA0652

don't look like much to be afraid of here.I got a max wind speed today on an aviation site for millville of 33 mph.
sounds like some heavy rain and some dead tree snapping winds but not the paralyzing fear causing monster that the media has been shouting about for days.I guess they have to do that because if they down play it and it is a monster their responsible for many deaths whereas now they can say we told you so or better safe then sorry.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Natl Hurricane center is showing the closest point perhaps 20 miles East of Manahawkin.
:)

Yeah, but the eye is 90 miles wide. :eek:

Some questionable stats;

"Hurricane Irene's tropical storm-force winds extend 255 miles from the center making Irene 510 miles in diameter, almost one-third the size of the U.S. Hurricane-force winds extend 70 miles from the center, or 140 miles in diameter."

I always thought the USofA was about 2500 miles east to west, and about 1200 miles north to south :rolleyes:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I believe they are current speeds. It is hard to read on this Touch.

Guy

They are hourly forecasts out thru Tuesday. The more important forecast is storm surge + tide for this area. What I can find is pretty poor and none are in agreement.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is still somewhat early. I suspect late tonight and tomorrow will be different.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Going by the official NWS forecast for our area, as of 1:00 PM, they are saying tonight we'll have winds 34-44 with gusts to 55, and up to 4" of rainfall. For tomorrow they're saying 45-55 gusts to 70, and another 4". This may be no Katrina, but it's going to cause a boatload of trouble up here if those forecasts pan out.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It'd be interesting to see if my old house floods. It was on a peninsula between two pretty major creeks that went out to Barnegat Bay, but for some reason I didn't need flood insurance on it. If it floods then selling it and moving to Princeton was probably the best thing I ever did.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It'd be interesting to see if my old house floods. It was on a peninsula between two pretty major creeks that went out to Barnegat Bay, but for some reason I didn't need flood insurance on it. If it floods then selling it and moving to Princeton was probably the best thing I ever did.

Our home is in a similar location. We went with flood insurance anyway last year. Right now it looks like a well spent $385. We have a surveyor plate in our front yard that says we are 15' above sea level, from that plate to our first floor is maybe another 6'. No Guy, you can't come take a picture of it :D

This is the county surge map; they use terrible colors, but you should be able to see where your old house is.

http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/plan/pdf/maps/ocean_slosh.pdf

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had to remove Jessica's air condition out of the window upstairs. It was raining in on the sill pretty bad.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Rain and wind pretty heavy here now. I see that others in my area have lost power, but so far so good for me. Around 6:00 my lights flickered a few times and I thought I was going to lose power, but nothing else since then. AC Electric just finished a massive tree cutting project all over my area. There was an armada of Asplundh trucks and big crews here for a few weeks and they didn't just trim a few branches, they really cleared the whole right of way. Obviously that had not been done for many years judging by the size of the trees they cut.

I don't know if it will help, but it certainly can't hurt. :) My own power is buried from the pole on the road nearly 1000 feet back to my house, which is good since it would probably take forever for them restore me if it was on poles.

Good luck to all. Let's shope our internet connections hold up. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is raining here but I have seen basic storms rain as hard as it is now. It must really be a coastal storm up until now.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The pace is pickingup here, the graphs below show the progress from this morning, a couple of gust around 50 and the heavy rain still sporadic. The pressure is falling thru the basement, which thankfully, is not yet flooded.

wxStationGraphAll