Lock's Bridge

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Kevin,

On pg. 34 of Heart of the Pines, John Pearce writes, "It was during this time of prosperity that Samuel Richards also built two forges on the rivers to the east of of Atsion. One of these was on the Atsion river about two and a half miles downstream. Here he actually built locks to raise the water level for the oreboats heading for Batsto."

Unfortunately, Pearce doesn't site a source for this information. Take a look at Guy's opening post here:
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/tidbits.4073/

Evidently, this place was known as "Atsion Locks" and "Estell Forge". I'm guessing that the latter is a reference to John Estell? (Perhaps Jerseyman can shed some light?)

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Doh! Here is a post I made some time ago on the subject. I guess I never did find that reference to Read's construction of the locks. Ben, did you come across anything in your recent studies on Read?

In Heart of the Pines, John Pearce says that Samuel Richards constructed the lock system at what we call "Locks Bridge". However, in Atsion: A Town of Four Faces, Sarah W.R. Ewing quotes an 1804 letter from Henry Drinker (one of the owners of the Atsion enterprise) to Hicks Jenkins & Co. ( a New York firm to which Atsion regularly shipped bar iron), wherein Drinker wrote:

"About 1 or 2 miles below the forge is a lock or dam, an excellent seat for a rolling and slitting mill to which the bar iron from the Forge can be conveyed by water."

I'm a bit confused by Drinker's word choice (did he mean to write, "lock or dam," or did he mean "lock and dam"?)

So it would appear that the lock system was already in place by the time Samuel Richards built the forge at that location. Certainly, there was already a dam there, which implies that there was a mill of some sort there prior to Drinker's 1805 letter.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the lock system was actually built under Charles Read in Atsion's infancy. More research is neccessary.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Very interesting. I'm sure it's possible. Most of the slag I saw around there looked like furnace slag, but I'm sure there could be some forge slag hiding around. Probably in the bushes! Lol It is a great spot for any thing to be water wheel driven. When the water levels drop in later in the summer maybe I'll take a closer look around. Thanks for the added info Gabe.

And glad you liked the photos!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, was locks bridge destroyed by arson, or did the State purposely destroy it?

I do not know the answer to that even though I wish I did. However, I would have to say that is another bridge like Unbridge where they wanted to keep vehicles away from the wilderness camping area's. So to do that I guess the only way was to remove it. I just can't see why someone would even consider that though but the state is hard to figure out. Just like the bridge next to the Pleasant Mills Church. When that goes it is really going to keep many individuals from exploring that area.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Well, this is where Pearce presumably got his info on the locks from:

Arthur Pierce (from Iron in the Pines said:
Connected with the Atsion enterprise in all probability were two “mystery forges” off in the woods to the east. One of these was located by the Atsion River about two and one half miles below Atsion. Here once were locks used by ore boats headed for Batsto. The other was beside the Batsto River not quite two miles above Quaker Bridge. This forge was called Washington, and was connected with Hampton Furnace, farther upstream. There are banks of slag at each of these locations, while some remains of a dam may still be seen at the site above Quaker Bridge. It is now known that these installations, operated during the Richards era, and Washington Forge [not to be confused with Washington Furnace at Lakewood] was in use as late as 1850.

Although Pierce does not explicitly claim that Samuel Richards built the locks...

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Hmm. Ted G. and I had this conversation last summer. If memory is correct, T.G. knew of no large-scale industrial infrastructure at Lock's Bridge. There is an alternative application of the word “lock.” That is the Scottish word “loch” meaning a long narrow pond.

Nesco was settled by tar kilners from Scotland who called the long-forgotten narrow “winter” ponds north and east of Weymouth “lochs.” Collectively these were known as the “Lochs-of-the-Swamp” (e.g., Lookout Pond, Brake Pond, Crane Pond). The elongated intermittent ponds were found along the King’s (New Columbia) Road between Nesco and Mays Landing (closer to the latter).

Many of the Weymouth lochs were drained by Makepeace for cranberry production and some simply dried up. Others remain today as long strings of sedge-savannah habitat. Could there have been similar long narrow waterbodies along the Batsto Fireline Road? The topography southwest of the Mullica River appears similar to the “Lochs-of-the-Swamp." Loch-like ponds near Locks Bridge may also be beyond memory. For example, I doubt anyone remembers Desolation Pond next to the Hammonton Airport. I do not have on-ground experience along the Sleeper Branch, so eagerly await your thoughts!

Best wishes,
Mark

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I really have to find that old reference to the lock(s). Until then, I can only defer to Drinker's letter.

Say Spungman, I'm a bit confused as to where these lochs-of-the-swamp were. Can you show us on a map precisely where these ponds were? Thanks in advance.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Sure Gabe,

I’ve attached below an excerpt from an 1867 survey, which covers the lower Lochs-of-the-Swamp. Waterbodies are additionally colored in blue for convenience. Lake Lenape is in the center. Lookout Pond, Crane Pond, and Brake Pond (N–S) are to its immediate right (east), in the approximate vicinity of the Custard Castle along the Black Horse Pike. Note the three “Lily Ponds” just to the left (west) of Lake Lenape and the Shoe Factory Pond that is to the far right (east) of the lake. If anyone knows of other forgotten pond (spung) names, feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Mark

Lochs-of-the-Swamp.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
In some accounts the Weymouth ponds were known simply as the “Lochs.” It is often difficult to distinguish between Lochs and Locks on old handwritten documents. The “h” and “k” are hard to tell apart so later mapmakers could have easily misread Lochs Bridge for Locks Bridge. The three Ponds marked within Lake Lenape (above survey) may also have been lochs now inundated when the Great Egg Harbor River was dammed, but this is pure speculation based on my knowledge of the location’s geomorphology. Such ponds were so numerous that they rarely made it onto maps.

There is another possible meaning of lock, albeit obsolete. According to the Oxford English Dictionary a "lock" is “the passage or waterway between the piers of a bridge. I could imagine that passage between bridge piers – passage through a lock – might provide sufficient geographic reason for this provocative place name. It is difficult to imagine how a boat lock system could have remained so enigmatic, hence my suggested alternatives.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Very interesting alternatives to consider, Spungman.

Concerning the loch theory, I'm not seeing any elongated spungs (wet or dry) around there which could have been designated as "lochs". I suppose that some of those braided channels to the west of the Atsyunk could have reminded early Scottish settlers of the lochs of their homeland, but that seems to be stretching it.

As for the archaic use of "lock" that you mentioned, I'm finding it hard to imagine that a bridge of such size ever being built in this location. The natural bottleneck on the river would certainly have caught the attention of someone (Charles Read?) who was looking to dam the river, and Henry Drinker's letter indicates that a dam was in fact built there. This would rule out any lock in the archaic sense of the word that you detailed above, and would rather require a lock to allow passageway for ore boats.

Stimulating ideas nonetheless, Spungman. And thanks very much for the map of the "lochs". The geomorphology of the Lochs-of-the-Swamp is fascinating. This is one impressive looking interdunal blowout:
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.51501666868612&lng=-74.75237131118774&z=17&type=nj1930&gpx=

Gabe, et al.:

Sorry I have not responded sooner, but I have been tied up with work.

The answer to your question lies within a colonial law, passed in 1765:

An ACT to enable the Honourable Charles Read, Esq; to erect a Dam over Batstow Creek, and also to enable John Estell to erect a Dam over Atsion River.

WHEREAS by two several Act of the General Assembly of this Colony, the one entitled, An Act to preserve the navigation of the Rivers and Creeks within the Colony of New-Jersey, and the other entitled, A Supplementary Act to the Act, entitled, An Act to preserve the Navigation of the Rivers and Creeks within the Colony of New-Jersey, all the said Rivers and Creeks within the said Colony are directed to be kept open and free from Obstructions, and consequently no Dams, tho’ of ever so great public and private Utility, can be erected across any of the said Rivers and Creeks, without the Aid of the Legislature. And whereas the Honourable Charles Read, Esq; by his humble Petition, set forth, that he had proved to Demonstation, good merchantable Bar-Iron may be drawn from such Ore as may be found in plenty in the Bogs and Savannahs in such Parts of this Province which are too poor for Cultivation, which he conceives will be of publick Emolument; and that in order to erect the necessary Works, he has lately purchased a considerable Tract of Land, lying on both Sides of Batstow Creek, near Little Egg-Harbour, in the County of Burlington, praying the Aid of the Legislature, to enable him to erect a Dam across the said Creek, for the Use of an Iron-Work; and in order to remove every Objection against the Prayer of his Petition, hath produced a Certificate from Joseph Burr, jun. purporting, that he the said Joseph Burr is, and for several Years past hath been in Possession of a Saw-Mill at the Head of Batstow Creek aforesaid, from whence Boards only have been floated down, but attended with such Expence, as to afford a Probability that the said Creek will not be hereafter used for the like Purpose; hence the said Burr alledges, that the Dam over the said Creek as petitioned for by the said Charles Read, cannot be of any publick or private Detriment, but on the Contrary greatly advantageous; therefore,
BE IT ENACTED by the Governor, Council and General Assembly of this Colony of New-Jersey, and it is hereby Enacted by the Authority of the same, That it shall and may be lawful to and for the said Charles Read, his Heirs and Assigns, and he, they and either of them, is and are hereby authorized and impowered, to cast up and erect a good and sufficient Dam over the said Batstow Creek, at such Place where the said Charles Read, his Heirs and Assigns, or either of them, shall think proper to cast up and erect the same Dam, which Dam so cast up and erected, it shall and may be lawful to and for the said Charles Read, his Heirs and Assigns, and either of them from time to time, and at all times hereafter, to continue, repair, keep up and maintain in good and sufficient Order, so as to answer the Purpose intended by the same; any Thing in either of the above recited Acts to the Contrary thereof notwithstanding.
AND Whereas John Estell, by his humble Petition, sets forth, that he is possessed of a Tract of Land, situate on each Side of Atsion River, in the County of Burlington, where he is inclined to erect a Saw-Mill, and hath already been at considerable expence thereabout; that the Water Course above where he is inclined to erect the said Mill, had never been used for any other Purpose, except the floating down small Bundles of Shingles, and that but seldom; and that the Lands adjoining to the said Creek, above the intended Dam, to the Dam of James Inskeep’s Mill at Goshen-Neck, do belong to the said Charles Read, Esq; and James Inskeep, who are willing the Dam prayed for should be erected, and Coroboration thereof, have certified their Willingness under their Hands, alledging the Dam aforesaid will not be detrimental to any Person or Persons, but on the Contrary advantageous, provided Ways be made ther the said Dam: Therefore,
BE IT FURTHER ENACTED by the Authority aforesaid, That it shall and may [be] lawful to and for the said John Estell, his Heirs and Assigns, and either of them, is and are hereby authorized and impowered, to cast up and erect a good and sufficient Dam over the said Atsion River, below the uppermost Fast Landing thereon, known by the Name of the Shingle-Landing, and at such Place where the said John Estell, his Heirs and Assigns, and either of them, shall think proper, to cast up and erect the said Dam; which Dam, so cast up and erected, it shall and may be lawful to and for the said John Estell, his Heirs and Assigns, and either of them, from time to time, and at all times hereafter, to continue, repair, keep up and maintain, in good and sufficient Order, so as to answer the Purposes thereby intended; provide Ways be made through the said Dam, to admit Rafts to pass; any Thing in either of the above recited Acts to the Contrary hereof notwithstanding.

Based on the above cited act, John Estell was the very first person to establish a dam at the point of Locks Bridge and he constructed the dam for the purposes of powering a sawmill. The law required a passage or “Lock” in the dam to permit the movement of rafts—and presumably shingle bundles—down to the Forks for shipment elsewhere. Note that the law directed Estell to build his dam “…below the uppermost Fast Landing thereon, known by the Name of Shingle-Landing…,” so any shingles brought to this landing for shipping down the Atsion River would necessarily require a way to move the boat through the dam. Locks such as this one were not all that uncommon in early West New Jersey dams. By the time Henry Drinker acquired his interest in Atsion, Estell’s sawmill was long gone, but the milldam, lock, and the mill seat still existed, so Drinker suggested it would make a good location for a rolling or slitting mill. I don’t think anyone ever used the mill seat after Estell’s sawmill disappeared. Regarding Sarah Ewing’s citation of the Drinker letter, the use of the word “or” might stem from her misinterpretation of Drinker’s handwriting, which, as I recall, was a horrendous example of chicken-scratching.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Jerseyman,

Nice sleuthing, old friend. We are much closer, but not yet there. You provide interesting evidence: 1) that lock technology is indeed old, and 2) that permission for a mill dam was granted on the Atsion River. We don’t know where on the river, since Estell owns land past Atsion, and it isn’t clear that the dam was actually ever built. Another slight geographic problem presents itself. John Estell’s land is “situate on each side of Atsion River, in the County of Burlington.” One bank at Locks Bridge is indeed in Burlington County, but the other side would have been in old Gloucester County. I thought the border between counties only changed in 1902? Being off by a county within a legal document is big, even for colonial times. We are left with yet another mystery!

Great fun!
Spung-Man

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jerseyman,

Thanks for providing that invaluable legislation! Many questions have been answered, and many more arise. I wonder who operated this "Shingle Landing" and where it was exactly. And why was it referred to as "Fast Landing"? I just read that the word "fast" was once used in a nautical context to refer to hawsers; could this be the meaning here? And I'm also wondering why Estell's Mill would have come to be known as "Estell's Forge".

And where did Arthur Pierce get the idea that Samuel Richards built a forge here? I do recall there being slag there, but perhaps it was used to build up the old causeway when "Locks Bridge" was constructed c. 1960.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Are we certain that John Estell dammed the Atsion River at Locks Bridge, and not at Atsion? According to Pierce (Iron in the Pines, p. 31), Read bought Estell's right to dam the Atsion River at Atsion. Estell did dam the Sleepy Creek and built a saw mill there (perhaps at an alternative location from where he originally intended it?).

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Gabe,

All good questions to ponder. Jerseyman and I were wee tykes back then, so specifics are clouded! Besides, Locks Bridge borders the North Jersey half of the Pines, at the fringe of this Southerner’s bailiwick. The good news is that Pinelands remains chock full of historical puzzles to find, ponder, and enjoy!

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A bit off topic, but I just noticed that this thread was started by Behr. Whatever happened to him?

Well ....... he was injured on vacation and had serious back problems. Because of that he was not able to hike and in the end maybe even kayak. It is our understanding that because of this he was understandably not happy that he could not do the things he did before.

Guy