Lock's Bridge

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I still stop in every now and then Gabe!

Very interesting that Atsion had both a Forge and a Furnace. Running off of the same waterpower I presume? Atsion doesn't really have the pick of streams/rivers like Batsto did with the furnace on the Batsto and the forge on the Nescochague. I guess this is because the furnace/forge combo at Atsion wasn't originally planned to be like that, it was really because of the land ownership stated above in previous posts.

Gabe, there are a couple of slag piles at Atsion. I'll message you where so everything isn't carted off within the next couple of years!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It'd probably be more convenient to have the forge and furnace powered from the same source. That way there's only one dam to maintain, and you don't have to go through a lot of expense and effort to get material from the furnace over to the forge.

For them to put a forge at Batsto (village) they'd likely have had to knock the sawmill down to make room.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I still stop in every now and then Gabe!

Very interesting that Atsion had both a Forge and a Furnace. Running off of the same waterpower I presume? Atsion doesn't really have the pick of streams/rivers like Batsto did with the furnace on the Batsto and the forge on the Nescochague. I guess this is because the furnace/forge combo at Atsion wasn't originally planned to be like that, it was really because of the land ownership stated above in previous posts.

Gabe, there are a couple of slag piles at Atsion. I'll message you where so everything isn't carted off within the next couple of years!

That's why they needed Saltar's Ditch. Don't forget a Grist Mill and two or three saw mills.
Don

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Connected with the Atsion enterprise in all probability were two “mystery forges” off in the woods to the east. One of these was located by the Atsion River about two and one half miles below Atsion. Here once were locks used by ore boats headed for Batsto. The other was beside the Batsto River not quite two miles above Quaker Bridge. This forge was called Washington, and was connected with Hampton Furnace, farther upstream. There are banks of slag at each of these locations, while some remains of a dam may still be seen at the site above Quaker Bridge. It is now known that these installations, operated during the Richards era, and Washington Forge [not to be confused with Washington Furnace at Lakewood] was in use as late as 1850.

Is there any proof that the "mystery forges" where connected to Atsion? If so, what would be the benefits of the association? The quote is from Ecampbell and his thread the Lower Forge.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/lower-forge-unbridge-revisited.5759/

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Is there any proof that the "mystery forges" where connected to Atsion? If so, what would be the benefits of the association? The quote is from Ecampbell and his thread the Lower Forge.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/lower-forge-unbridge-revisited.5759/

Gibby, Arthur Pierce offered no sources for his claim that there was a forge at the locks. He might have simply deduced this based on the presence of forge slag there, but that would have been a faulty inference, since slag was often used to build up causeways. I do recall reading that Samuel Richards took over Lower Forge (thus providing the connection to Atsion, which Richards owned), but I'm not sure. I'll look into it later and get back to you unless someone here beats me to it.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks Pinelandpaddler. I noticed from several threads on the forum that members here have pointed out Arthur Pierce has come to erroneous conclusions more than once. The combined knowledge on the forum is more advanced than what he had available to him. I am looking forward to what you discover about the Atsion connection.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Makes sense only having one dam. And after I thought about it a bit, this is how I read Weymouth worked with the furnace on one tailrace from the river, and the forge on another about 100-150' South.

I just can't remember if I've ever read of this combined furnace/forge operation at Atsion before.

I distinctly remember noticing all the slag at Locks Bridge looked like furnace slag, not forge slag. It also seemed to be evenly scattered with gravel, and little sugar sand. This could have been from decades of erosion washing away all the thinner stuff, or because it was all carted here from somewhere else.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Well, he was only human, but an excellent historian nonetheless. His historical work on the pine barrens iron industry is unrivaled IMO.
Thanks Pinelandpaddler. I noticed from several threads on the forum that members here have pointed out Arthur Pierce has come to erroneous conclusions more than once. The combined knowledge on the forum is more advanced than what he had available to him. I am looking forward to what you discover about the Atsion connection.

Reactions: Gibby

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
So after checking some maps again, it looks as though this bridge could have at one time connected Atsion & Lower Forge. So I guess slag could have been brought from both Atsion furnace and forge, and possibly even Lower Forge to help reinforce the earthworks. I missed the forge slag when I was there, I'll have to look around a little more.

http://binged.it/PBHnfZ

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I've found slag (both forge and furnace) in many odd places... along the tracks, at river and stream bridge crossings, etc. In places you wouldn't expect it to be.

With the amount of furnace/forge activity in the Pines, running 300+ days a year (depending on freezing), the amount of slag must have been tremendous.

I've often thought of this slag as the modern day used tire, a considerable amount to dispose of, but what to do with it? Possibly, just haul it off to support RR grade crossings and backfill bridge pilings and such.

This may be why you may find slag in strange places. Just a thought.

John-

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have been reading "The History of the Manufacture of Iron in all Ages, and particularly in the United States from Colonial Times to 1891" and on page 156 there is mention of bloomaries associated with the furnaces at Atsion and Batsto. There also mention that Israel Acrelius saw four bloomeries in full blast during his visit but he does not name them. I still have much more to read and learn but what are the possibilities that the upper forge could be a bloomery associated with Atsion?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Gibby,

Gordon's Gazetteer (1834) says:

"Besides the furnace,there are here a forge, grist-mill, and three saw-mills. The furnace makes from eight hundred to nine hundred tons of castings, and the forge from one hundred and fifty to two hundred tons of bar iron annually. This estate, belonging to Samuel Richards, embraces what was formerly called Hampton Furnace and Forge, and West's Mill, and contains about sixty thousand acres of land. There are about one hundred men employed here, and between six hundred and seven hundred persons depending for subsistence upon the works."

The Upper Forge was associated with Atsion while Samuel Richards owned it. I don't think the forge could have been considered a bloomery, since pig iron was further processed there, rather than bog ore.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks Pinelandpaddler. The reason for me to bring up the question of the Upper Forge being a bloomery was that several local bloomeries near Picatinny's forges, in northern New Jersey, were adapted to make wrought iron from cast iron pigs. The adaption could also be made in other locations.

-Bear with me. This subject is new to me so my approach may be from a different angle. After looking over the topo map for the area the forge I was questioning was actually the Lower Forge (unbridged) and not the Upper Forge (Hampton).

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thanks Pinelandpaddler. The reason for me to bring up the question of the Upper Forge being a bloomery was that several local bloomeries near Picatinny's forges, in northern New Jersey, were adapted to make wrought iron from cast iron pigs. The adaption could also be made in other locations.

-Bear with me. This subject is new to me so my approach may be from a different angle. After looking over the topo map for the area the forge I was questioning was actually the Lower Forge (unbridged) and not the Upper Forge (Hampton).

A different angle is always good.

Not much is known about Lower Forge (Washington Forge). Arthur Pierce writes in Iron in the Pines (pg.42) that Lower Forge was operated (and possibly constructed) by Samuel Richards and that it was in operation until 1850. I'd have to guess that the forge was initially built as such and was not converted, since it appears to have always been connected with Hampton. But who knows?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Very good, Pinelandpaddler. I just purchased "Iron In the Pines" today. I should have started with this book first. It is a proper beginning, early New Jersey industry 101 has begun for me.