Most Remote Area in the Pines

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have the open space KMZ but can't find it online.You could open that on Google earth and it would show you public property lines.I"ll try to message it to you but i don't think I can message a KMZ file

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Nope can't send it to you private message.If you have GE and want the open space property lines to show up on that program I could email you the KMZ file.I cannot find it online though I know it is there as well because thats where i got it.
As far as private property goes in NJ if it's private it's generally Posted unless sometimes when the owners are out of state and the old posted signs fall off but most of the time these areas are hunted by clubs who make sure the area is posted as their own personal kingdom.

Jennifer

Feb 11, 2018
Waretown nj
I"d say if you have google earth you could download Boyd's maps and open it on Google earth and it would give you all the property owners.I have the open space map here but it is a tiff file and i can't post it here. I am going to post a link to a site that might help you.http://njgin.state.nj.us/oit/gis/NJ_TaxListSearch/ and Yes! I found the open space online for you
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/greenacres/ga50/osmap.html
This will start you out.I"ll try to come up with more links but these should get you started as long as you can read maps.

Thank you so much!!

Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Welcome to the site! Do you have a Garmin GPS? If so, this is my most recent map that works on any Garmin device (including automotive units like the Nuvi). It includes full instructions that a beginner can follow:

[bad link removed]

Update: boydsmaps no longer supports Garmin devices but has dozens of maps to use on your computer or on your phone like a GPS

But my HD map is more accurate and has more detail. It loads on your computer and you can then send it to an iPhone or Android phone and use it with a number of apps. Also works on newer Garmin Handheld GPS units. You will need to install Mobile Atlas Creator which is free open source software for the Mac, Windows and even Linux. A step by step tutorial for beginners is included.

[bad link removed]

Update: A greatly improved map of the Pines is now available here

https://boydsmaps.com/#15.00/39.818655/-74.535638/pines2023/0.00/0.00

With either of these maps, the light green shading represents areas with forest cover and the darker green shading represents public openspace. When you zoom all the way in on the HD map you will see the actual property lines which often make it easier to understand the boundaries of the state forests.

You will need to use some good common sense though, my maps show many roads that are not passable in a vehicle and some historical roads that may not even exist anymore. So don't assume you can go someplace just because you see a line on a map. :)

Also, if you like the classic USGS topo maps (such as the Topo layer here at NJPB maps), you may enjoy these. They are high quality scans of the final version of these maps, which were discontinued almost 20 years ago. They use the same software as my HD map, so they work on your computer, phone and GPS.

[bad link removed]

Update: This map has been replaced by the USGS 24k Legacy Topo, which also has coverage far beyond the Pines

https://boydsmaps.com/#15.00/39.818655/-74.535638/legacy24k/0.00/0.00

But even if you just use the NJPB topo maps, keep in mind that the USGS discontinued these around 1999, so you are looking at a ~20 year old map and lots of things can change over that many years. :)

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here is a 7 year old thread with some good info, although it may be covered in Boyd's newer maps

My openspace map from that thread is still available, we discussed this again recently. Like you said, it's 7 years old and was a quick and dirty job using old data that isn't all that accurate. I don't think it makes any sense to use that today, but some people here seem to still like it. Sort of like some people who think their 20 year old GPS is better than anything on the market today. :p (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Seriously, use whatever works best for you. However my new maps represent a big improvement over that, they also work in Google Earth, and they're all free. :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I understand that there are cell phones that make hand held GPs devices look primitive but until I demonstrate to my wife that I am responsible enough to be trusted with a 60 dollar phone and will not jump in the water with a phone in my pocket anymore me getting anything more expensive is out of the question.least as long as I have a working gps anyway because thats all i will use it for.Not a big photo guy and even less of a ,phone guy but I do like the idea of having a GPS with Google Earth that will work anywhere there is cell coverage because when i go on vacation I often end up places i wasn't planning on and it's kind of hard to fit the entire USA"s aerials on an SD card.
I used to enjoy leading lost and frightened people out of the Barrens and watching the look of abject horror on their faces as I grinned in demented humor.No one gets lost anymore.Every one has GE and a GPS capable cell phone.I guess this is a good thing but I morbidly miss rescuing people occasionally. I really miss when someone askes me in the middle of the woods how to get to a certain place and I calmly respond while chewing on a weed that "You cain't git thar from here".

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I used to enjoy leading lost and frightened people out of the Barrens and watching the look of abject horror on their faces as I grinned in demented humor.No one gets lost anymore.Every one has GE and a GPS capable cell phone.I guess this is a good thing but I morbidly miss rescuing people occasionally. I really miss when someone askes me in the middle of the woods how to get to a certain place and I calmly respond while chewing on a weed that "You cain't git thar from here".

Way back when I hunted the Greenwood Quail management area, I carried a couple satellite maps of the area to hand out to the lost and forgetful. I went through quite a few of those maps :rolleyes:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was lost once in Stokes SF during winter deer season with an ex hunting buddy. Started to snow, lots of fun was had. Came out on the road to Sunrise Mt, probably 6" on the ground, we had left from Kittle Field. Some guy took mercy on us and gave us a lift back. Never trust a hunting buddy with a compass and a shotgun.

T

Toothy Critter

Could you tell me the secrets of knowing whats legal on these maps.... i feel like a guppie in these pines lol i really enjoy bass fishing. Thanks so much for the help!!

Bass are rare in the heart of the Pines. They become more common as you move more to the fringes. There are places where bass do thrive as long as the pH levels in the water improve toward neutral. I could give you a couple spots if you want me to PM you but you must vow to never disclose them to the public. ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
until I demonstrate to my wife that I am responsible enough to be trusted with a 60 dollar phone and will not jump in the water with a phone in my pocket anymore me getting anything more expensive is out of the question.

Most new phones are actually waterproof to the same degree as handheld GPS units. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Otterbox is a popular brand of rugged/waterproof cases. I got one for my iPhone 6s+ but returned it. Nothing wrong with it, but I want to be able to take the phone out easily and only use the rugged case when I am going for a hike. That is difficult with the waterproof cases. I ended up getting their regular rugged case which does a good job of protecting from drops and helps keep the phone dry, but would not help if it were totally immersed. But starting with the iPhone 7, Apple's phones are waterproof on their own, to a spec as good as Garmin's (submerse in a meter of water for half an hour (IIRC).

This rugged phone has been popular for use as a GPS (no case needed), although I have no personal experience with it. Some people buy these just for GPS use without any cell data or voice plan. Garmin's dedicated units cost twice as much (or more). I heard there was a video somewhere of a guy using it as a hammer to drive nails. ;) http://www.blackview.hk/blackview-147/