My first Orchid of the season

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can always purchase one. Thanks for the info and offer.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji, I am starting to scout out locations new to me, in order to broaden areas that I am familiar with, so that next year I have better chance to discover more orchids. With that being said, what is your opinion of finding Cleistes divaricata (Rosebud orchid), in the small savannahs east of 206 or west of 563 in the Preserve? Hough states that it is native to Burlington county and at its north limit (p98). Thanks as always.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I was told they got washed away in a big storm. Howard Boyd got a picture for his Wildflowers book before that happened.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks, Oji. As I read more and more, I am beginning to question if any of the very rare orchids still exist and if finding them is a combination of chance and good fortune. The books I am reading, even though they are updated and relevant, still contain locations from at least ten years ago if not more. In addition, the weather pattern has also changed to some degree, which is another factor to consider.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Thanks, Oji. As I read more and more, I am beginning to question if any of the very rare orchids still exist and if finding them is a combination of chance and good fortune. The books I am reading, even though they are updated and relevant, still contain locations from at least ten years ago if not more. In addition, the weather pattern has also changed to some degree, which is another factor to consider.
But you never know! That is why I also look for other plants and sometimes you find orchids while looking for other things and vice-versa.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
005.JPG 20th- Spiranthes cernua

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji, how many more orchids do you have left before the season is over? Two more - Spiranthes and Corallorhiza?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I waited two weeks for the Spiranthes cernua that I found to bloom, only to find out that deer consumed almost all of them. I only found three left this evening. These orchids are more robust than the other Tresses I have seen.

Spiranthes cernua (Nodding Ladies Tresses)

A very large specimen.

noddingfullsm.jpg

Of course - the macro.

noddingsm.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I think I'm done for this season. I may check the Spiranthes laciniata one more time. Friends and I have some traveling plans for next year to see some others. If you want to see a spot with hundreds of Spiranthes cernua send me a PM.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I think I'm done for this season. I may check the Spiranthes laciniata one more time. Friends and I have some traveling plans for next year to see some others. If you want to see a spot with hundreds of Spiranthes cernua send me a PM.
If you could suggest one book to have on orchids that are in the pines,What would it be?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
A good starter book that shows many wildflowers by month of bloom is 'Wildflowers of the Pine Barrens of NJ' by Howard Boyd. Orchids are included.

Buzby's carries it, as does Amazon and others.

wildflowers.jpg
I did it and had a great time going month to month. If anyone finds the Cleistes divaricata on page 96 and shows me the location I will buy you a case of your favorite beer!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did it and had a great time going month to month. If anyone finds the Cleistes divaricata on page 96 and shows me the location I will buy you a case of your favorite beer!

There should be quite a few members of this site out looking all night long.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
If anyone finds the Cleistes divaricata on page 96 and shows me the location I will buy you a case of your favorite beer!
The rarest of rare! In the past 150 years only a handful of plants have been recorded in a handful of locations. If any of the Pogonias exist they would be some where in the Batso corridor. The case of beer comes with an an article on the rediscovery of the orchid?

Are either of the Purple orchids as rare?