My first Orchid of the season

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, the Dragon's Mouth looks terrific with the morning dew on it. I found a large stand of Arethusa along the Tulpe but in a different location than what you showed me last year.There are at least fifty plants in one local area and many more spreading from that central "core". These where hidden in the stand of cedars and growing in the elevated sphagnum mounds. I was excited to find them.

-On a side note, I think I may have found Death camas but won't be sure until I see it in bloom. (Oji, you may know who tipped me off...a terrific fellow who goes by the name Mark.:))

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is quite early for Death Camas. It usually blooms in July. My photo's are from 7/14 and 7/21. Are you sure? EDIT: I see you are not sure. Sorry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If I get a minute I will check on the one I know about and see if it is showing at all.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Are you sure?

Teegate, the Camas should have the appearance of a day lily at this time of year. I am quite sure that is what I found, but I won't have confirmation until I see it in bloom.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Last year it was so dry it did not grow properly, and I made a decision this year that if it was dry I was going to go water it each week. I don't think I will have to do that.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It was very dark under the canopy of the trees and the cloudy sky. Anyhoo, this is what I came across.

death.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I really don't have good photo's of the bottom of the plant to compare. Here is all I have and they show very little. I took these photo's with my old camera and have not had a chance to get a good photo with my current one.

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_9492.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I love dew on Arethusa. Nice capture Guy. The skunk reminds me: I saw one Friday morning on my way to work along the old Tuckerton Railroad. He was digging in broad daylight. Maybe turtle eggs? I refused to investigate any closer. :D

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I believe he also gave you a good hint on another orchid you were looking for.

Yes he did! I need to pay Dot and Brooks a visit soon.

It seems everyone who I meet that is involved with the Pine Barrens, in some shape or form, are all great people. It speaks volumes about the atmosphere the land creates.