My first Orchid of the season

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji and Bob,

I know of another location on Haines property that may have bicolor. I don't know enough to be able to tell if it is x bicolor or x canbyii. PM me if you are interested. It is a very sensitive location.

Reactions: oji

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Oji and Bob,

I know of another location on Haines property that may have bicolor. I don't know enough to be able to tell if it is x bicolor or x canbyii. PM me if you are interested. It is a very sensitive location.
Oh yeah, I forgot this one too.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was out and about yesterday and in Chatsworth there was a VW Bus group with tags from around the country. That had been down Friendship Speedwell Road.

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

Then we traveled to Hampton to check out the digging.

IMG_3289.JPG

You almost got to see Jessica take a spill. Her eyes are fixed but the balance still is not there :)

IMG_3290.JPG

In the afternoon I was out with Lost Town Hunter, oji, and his friend Mark looking for Orchids. Another view of yellow crested.

IMG_3315a.jpg

Mark found this but as usual I can't remember it's name.

IMG_3359.jpg

And this morning I was out working on a project and took this at 539 and 72 before sunrise.

IMG_3373.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Tom! I appreciate your answer and Mark's comment. I will add that info to my records.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,What name are you applying to your specimen? Notice the extremely short spur.

Ted, maybe you could help with a name. This is from about 8 years ago. I found it in my photos when looking for something last night. I found it in a place you are well familiar with...the same tributary of Cedar Creek that Karl did a survey on for the Nature Conservancy. I read the report and saw where he found P. cristata, so went for a look to see for myself, since it's only 3 miles from my home as the crow flies. I found it with others having the yellow color, which really surprised me. See the photo below, from the same stand. What do you think of the light colored one, possible a cross with P. blephlariglottis?

yellow crested.JPG

Reactions: John
Bob, making a determination from a photo alone can be risky. The florets of the upper half appear to be pale yellow, while those of the lower half appear to be more of an orange-yellow, typical of Platanthera cristata. Only the third floret up from the lower left appears to have a longer (although bent) spur than the others, suggestive of P. blephariglottis. If it's a hybrid, it appears to be rather borderline. As for your white specimen, it has strong features of the orange crested, although it is overwhelmed by the white of P. blephariglottis. However, it does not have an increase in fringe and spur length that would be imparted by the latter. To me it looks like a white Platanthera cristata.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sorry Ted, I confused things a bit. In the second email above, showing the yellow orchid, I was actually speaking about the white one above it. But I get what you are saying. You are saying both are P. cristata, but the white one is simply different because it is white.

That's correct, Bob. Keep in mind, however, that we are trying to make a determination without measuring floral parts (e.g. spur, fringe). But I must confess that I've never encountered a pure white form of P. cristata. It is extremely rare to encounter white forms of flowere that are typically yellow/orange.

cnycharles

Sep 5, 2015
elmer nj
Can anyone share a location in or near the pine barrens for spiranthes laciniata? I'd been told 'martha', and saw flickr pictures listing 'quaker bridge', and also told along the batsto river closer to batsto...
my first native orchid find of this year in new jersey was northern small yellow ladyslipper up northwest jersey not far from the delaware water gap. In august I went to a bog with a group from a delaware native plant organization and we saw cristata, white fringed, some light cristata and club spur. Driving around we saw other spots for white fringed and cristata and driving home I saw more white fringed.
I'm interested in any native orchid spots in new jersey so that I can collect images for my native orchid educational display that i'm doing for the north jersey orchid society where I was a member while working in north jersey. I previously created the same for an educational display of new york native orchids while I was a member of the central ny orchid society. You can see older native orchid pictures on the cnyos.org website that I still maintain minimally though out of state; go to cnyos.org and on the home page you will see a link to native orchids pictures, then a few links and those pics are all mine. If you would like to see general pictures of my educational display you can go from the cnyos homepage and go to the show pictures pages, and many of the early to middle years will have a picture of a large five frame display with many pictures, which is mine.
This is my first post, so I understand if people want to get to know me first. I have extensive native orchid locations in new york, and am starting to gather some for pa, del, virginia, md and have some for long island, conn. mass and vermont plus some in ontario (plus was directed to some native orchids near the teton village ski area near jackson wyoming in I think it was august or october)
oh; the pictures i've seen here from all of you are very nice!
thanks,
charles

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went looking for spiranthes gracilis at the same location I found them in other years and there was nothing there. I think the dry weather has effected them. Could be wrong. And I think you may be a little late if yours grow at the same time.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Hi Charles, I'm one of the group that you met out by the Platanthera Integra a few weeks ago. You're probably a little late for the Spiranthes laciniata, I didn't get to see it this year but a friend said 3 were there this year.

cnycharles

Sep 5, 2015
elmer nj
Ty Teegate and Hello again Oji! I took someone to see the integra a week later and none of the rain going heavily nearby had hit they area, was very dry. Very well could be less things up. I had seen some pics of laciniata listed as sept 6 or 8, but were full flower so if things earlier this year they could be mostly done, but if not too hard to get to worth seeing the area
Also an orchid field guide I was reading today listed lots of records for other orchids in the glassboro area like autumn coralroot, wondering if it was too dry for it this year? Book said lime quarries often good for finding that orchid and the spot up north where I saw the northern small yellow lady slipper was a marlworks
Ty
Charles