My first Orchid of the season

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Hopefully a few more for my list this year. The purples may require a trip to the northern counties. I'll also throw in a meal at The Pic for the Cleistes deal!

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
001.JPG I hope this one is correct! Spiranthes tuberosa

Boyd's Wildflower Book is a great resource as is his field guide. I also have another orchid book that is useful and includes many Pine Barrens species. Its called Wild Orchids of the Middle Atlantic States, by Oscar W. Gupton and Frederick C. Swope. Here is some Spiranthes cernua I shot last fall. I went back to visit them again, only to find that the deer had taken them. Also have a nice crop of them growing in the nursery; its taken me a few years to get them going from stock I purchased at Brandywine Conservancy. The babies bloomed this year for the first time.
2012 plant walks 610.jpg Early Natives for print 142.jpg

Reactions: Sarra

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Has anyone seen Isotria emerging or in bloom? I found a large population of Downey's with few yet to be identified orchids growing in between the silver-veined plants. They may be lady's slippers. Hopefully the two existing flowers are part of a trinity and the third piece of the triad is the whorled pogonia. I was just curious if any of the long eared orchids have been seen recently.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, nice to see that the Arethusa in bloom! Are these lovelies the ones you showed me in Wharton?

-Arethusa is one of my top five favorite flowers that are native to the Pine Barrens.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate, nice to see that the Arethusa in bloom! Are these lovelies the ones you showed me in Wharton?

-Arethusa is one of my top five favorite flowers that are native to the Pine Barrens.

No it isn't. This one was much easier to get to :) I found them by accident. I was looking for something else and there they were.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out of the house this morning at 4:30 AM heading to the barrens to check on a few projects. This shows route 70 near Burrs Mill around 5AM.

IMG_2889.JPG

A little later.

IMG_2896.JPG

Deep in the woods.

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

Unlike yesterdays find this location is much later and smaller.

IMG_2911.jpg

Plenty of Pitcher Plant flowers.

IMG_2919.jpg

This photo stinks!

IMG_2950.JPG

By 8:40 AM I was home and my day in the pines was over.

Guy

Reactions: Gibby