New Jersey's Forgotten People

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
Yep I'm pagan. Mitch and I have both been for 13 years.

Nykki

I don't officially give myself that label, but my past includes it and my worldview is very strongly Pagan insomuch as the relationship I feel to the world around me.

I for one appreciate the diversity on this list. Brian and I were talking, and have noticed that it seems to us that there is actually a very high percentage of Pagans that are into the Pines. I've noticed it from Barry's list, people I have corresponded with off-list, and so forth. I suppose because of the world-view of nature. What better place to find spiritual solitude than in the Pines? That's something that a lot of people of different religions seem to find here--a commonality, even if our conceptual understanding of nature differs from one to the other.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

I mentioned Weaver's baskets earlier in this thread.
Here's the link, now that their server is up and running.
Her work is gorgeous. Scroll down and you'll see how she has even used antlers as basket handles.
Exquisite!

http://www.pineylenape.com/marys.baskets.html

My favorite I think-though I'm hard pressed to pick one, is the Grandmother Earth.

I particularly like how you can see that the antlers were shed on some of them.

Mary, is there a reason for not using white deer antler?

Renee

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I just looked at Weavers site, and yes her baskets are truely beautiful. I am thinking of the tons of pine needles laying in my backyard crying to be picked up or used. (Wish I new how to use them, they are from a row of beautiful white pines). Looking at her site reminded me of something in my life. With the divesity of people here, and their beliefs...I am sure to get interesting responses.........so her goes...
Since the past four years that I have lived where I am...I have been plagued with nightly, vivid dreams of the dead. These continous dreams had me worried that maybe someone or maybe many had been buried of killed at this site. My oldest son also had these same types of dreams. Anyway, a friend suggested hanging dream catchers. So I hung one in my bedroom and one in my sons. I didn't think they would work, but they did. My son and I still see and hear things that we cannot explain though, but at least we sleep well now.

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
suresue592003 said:
Since the past four years that I have lived where I am...I have been plagued with nightly, vivid dreams of the dead. These continous dreams had me worried that maybe someone or maybe many had been buried of killed at this site. My oldest son also had these same types of dreams. Anyway, a friend suggested hanging dream catchers. So I hung one in my bedroom and one in my sons. I didn't think they would work, but they did. My son and I still see and hear things that we cannot explain though, but at least we sleep well now.

Sue,
I lived in a samll old house on Rte 40 for a while that had it's share on unexplained activity. I researched it and found that a previous owner had hung himself in the stairwell to my bedroom, which as it turned out was the center of the activity. Personally, I found it exciting, but I notice that the house (a rental) has a very high turnaround rate.
Is there any way you can find out the history on the house and the property?
I have never had a problem with bad dreams, but my wife has, and we tried dreamcatchers as well. They worked for her, and now she swears by them. Some may think that it's nothing but the power of suggestion, but with my backround I do not discount or underestimate the real power that may be involved. Basically, if it works, it works. I don't know the history behind dream catchers but maybe someone else can help out with that.
Brian

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
I've had one for about 18 years. I haven't had any problems with bad dreams or sleeping for years. I bought one for a friend but I'm not sure if it worked for them. I'll have to ask.

Ken

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I will make it a point to inquire about my property. Brother and sister live on each side of me. Their mother lived here for awhile until she was put in a nursing home, then the property was sold, then rented once. After that I bought it.
Just wondering KenDawg, are you Pagan also?

B

bach2yoga

Sue,

I know this will probably sound strange, but because of severe prejudice and discrimination that can result in lost employment and broken marriages and families and even death, a Pagan will never expose another person as Pagan--it is considered unethical, and neither will anyone ask in public if another person is Pagan in mixed company that is not absolutely safe. It is a matter of confidentiality that is held as utmost importance. So while it's a safe question for KenDawg, (cuz I know he's not), it would potentially be problematic if he were Pagan and still "in the broom closet".

Another strange thought: Most Pagans believe that it is unethical to perform a magick spell on another person without their permission, as it is a violation of free will; and because Pagans believe that Christian prayer is a form of magick, they also believe it is unethical to pray for someone without their permission. So I guess it goes without saying that Pagans are against proselytizing and evangelizing, and will not do it.

It would be an ideal world if all of us could freely admit our beliefs without fear of recrimination, wouldn't it? :(

Renee

B

bach2yoga

Dear Bob,
Please learn to be more tolerant of all my children.
God.

B

bach2yoga

BTW, Sue,
I hope you know that my reason for explaining about confidentiality among Pagans was not meant to reflect on anything you said. It was because you seemed sincere in wanting to know about other people, and I thought it might help understand where others are coming from. We tout religious tolerance, but we still have a long way to go.
Renee

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bach2yoga said:
Dear Bob,
Please learn to be more tolerant of all my children.
God.

Speaking of tolerance, yours is quite selective, no? When Brian flat-out asked Nyyki if she was Pagan, you did not utter a peep. But when Sue created what you consider a social mistep by asking Kendawg the same thing you gave her detailed instructions for speaking about them in public.

B

bach2yoga

Actually, that is not correct. Brian and I talked offlist about it. Nykki also said there are a lot of "us", which is, last I checked, an inclusive pronoun.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I don't know which one of you are right, but I did take the conversation the way BobM discribed. So I thought it was ok to ask. I apoligize if I offended anyone. Yes, I was curious with good intentions. I know very little on the subject I'll admit. I thought in American all religions were accepted, and openly practice their beliefs. In the future I will stay clear of such topics and next time ask in private....Sue.....

B

bach2yoga

suresue592003 said:
I don't know which one of you are right, but I did take the conversation the way BobM discribed. So I thought it was ok to ask. I apoligize if I offended anyone. Yes, I was curious with good intentions. I know very little on the subject I'll admit. I thought in American all religions were accepted, and openly practice their beliefs. In the future I will stay clear of such topics and next time ask in private....Sue.....

right regarding what? that I didn't say anything to Brian? I did. Period. Whether you or anyone else cares to believe it.

I didn't expect you to know that, which is why I explained that. I am sorry that you took offense. If you notice,

a Pagan will never expose another person as Pagan--it is considered unethical, and neither will anyone ask in public if another person is Pagan in mixed company that is not absolutely safe.

If that does not describe you (i.e., Pagan), then how could I be referring to you???
Not to mention the fact that my clarification of the text immediately following, before I was accused of that same intolerance. And I used no sarcasm or condemnation; simply an explanation of why a Pagan might not be comfortable answering what you thought was an innocent question.

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There comes a time when a thread should come to an end, even if someone has or has not had their final word. So lets see who can make that happen and who can't, unless of course the post is about what the thread is titled.

Guy

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
Hi, Sorry I have not posted a reply sooner. Been very busy and I hate this machine.First Thankyou for the compliments everyone gave about my baskets. They are alot of hard work, but I enjoy doing them.
As for the white tailed deer antlers. I can not use them in my baskets it is againist the LAW. It is on the books that no one can buy or sell anything that is made from white tail deer. That is why I use moose, mule deer, and any other kind of antler. As for Dreamer catchers, they first started just being used on babys cradle boards by the Ojibway not the Lenape. We do a dream catcher class at our shop in Rancocas Woods. I think it means more or as some of you would say has more power if you make your own. I having a saying that I use alot.
Choose your path in life, walk that path, with a clean mind and a good heart and ever purposely hurt another human being. IN PEACE weaver

B

bach2yoga

weaver said:
Hi, Sorry I have not posted a reply sooner. Been very busy and I hate this machine.First Thankyou for the compliments everyone gave about my baskets. They are alot of hard work, but I enjoy doing them.
As for the white tailed deer antlers. I can not use them in my baskets it is againist the LAW. It is on the books that no one can buy or sell anything that is made from white tail deer. That is why I use moose, mule deer, and any other kind of antler. As for Dreamer catchers, they first started just being used on babys cradle boards by the Ojibway not the Lenape. We do a dream catcher class at our shop in Rancocas Woods. I think it means more or as some of you would say has more power if you make your own. I having a saying that I use alot.
Choose your path in life, walk that path, with a clean mind and a good heart and ever purposely hurt another human being. IN PEACE weaver

Really? White tailed deer are hardly endangered. I never would have guessed.
Weaver, that is not the first wonderful thing you have told me. I have a feeling there are many more thoughts where that one came from.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
There comes a time when a thread should come to an end, even if someone has or has not had their final word. So lets see who can make that happen and who can't, unless of course the post is about what the thread is titled.

Guy

Sue and I have spoken off line, and it seems that there was a misunderstanding in communication as to what she understood--it was not in reference to my post, so my sincerest apologies for reading that error into her post.

Respectfully,

Renee

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
suresue, If you would like I could teach you how to make a pine needle basket out of those pine needles in your back yard. I use pine needles in some of the baskets that I make. Gather some of them and bring them to the shop. I always put down a gift of tobacco to the plants when I gather anything. IN PEACE weaver