Oregon 450 sale at REI

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just being able to put in the aerial maps makes it well worth the money.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

Rather than start a new post I will just throw this out here. On our hike this weekend we had at least (3) 60CSX units along with my Oregon, and all three of the 60CSX had almost the same distance traveled. Al had the Magellan and it showed a few tenths more but that could depend on side excursions. However, my Oregon as it always does read low and showed a little over 3 miles traveled when we went almost 9. I checked the tracks and they are complete so it was reading the entire time. Have you heard about problems with the Oregon reading distances low?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have never heard of such a large error, something must have gone wrong. Smaller errors are common. The distance measurement is affected by your track recording settings. Here's an interesting discussion that may shed some light on the issue. They are discussing the Montana, but I think it's the same on the Oregon: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=283256

Also, try this test just for fun - put your Oregon and 60csx outside with a good sky view, set them both to record track and leave them for an hour or so. Now take a look at each unit and see how far the trip odometers said they "traveled". I'll bet the 60csx will say it has moved more than the Oregon. Of course, they haven't really moved at all, but errors in the position fix will add up to give a bogus representation of movement. My experience is that the data is "noisier" from the 60csx, and this probably makes it record more distance traveled. But 9 miles vs 3 miles is way too big a difference, so something else must have happened in this case.

Next time, make sure everybody sets their track recording parameters the same - once per second would be best, but that limits you only about 2 hrs 40 minutes before the log file fills up.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
"Next time, make sure everybody sets their track recording parameters the same - once per second would be best, but that limits you only about 2 hrs 40 minutes before the log file fills up.[/quote]

Is this perhaps the answer to Guy's question? The log file filled up due to frequent sampling and the 2 hours 40 minutes represents the 3 miles travelled during that time? I'm assuming once it fills it dumps the old info and records the most recent?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's an interesting theory. On my Montana you have a choice of what to do when the log fills, not sure about the Oregon 450. One option is to automatically archive the track, another is to wrap-around, which is what you describe. The tracklog capacity is 10,000 points, so you can do the math and choose an appropriate sampling rate. Or you can set it to record automatically with a choice of more or less often. The other option is to choose the distance between recorded track points.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is a screenshot of my main settings for tracks.

150.jpg

Maybe I need to change the weekly to "When Full."

95.jpg

90.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Setting it for Less Often is going to give you a shorter track than More Often. Because of position errors on each point, if they are recorded more often the track will look like a zig-zag and therefore be longer. Recording less often, the points are spaced further apart and less subject to the position errors.

More often is like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\

Less often is like this ----------------------------------------------------

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will take the GPS in my car either later tonight or tomorrow and see if it comes close to matching my odometer. If not I will play with the settings to see what might work.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That isn't going to shed much light on the issue. At driving speeds, the track points will be far apart and will match the road pretty closely. At walking speed, the points are closer together. Consider that each point could be off by as much as 5 meters (that's the accuracy spec on all consumer units). If you're walking slowly, these errors can add up. A better test would be to measure a stretch of road with your car odometer, then walk down it at normal speed and compare the distance that your Oregon and 60csx report. Be sure to set them for the same track recording method and interval first.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Guy, did your track record the entire hike or just a part of it?

Ed

Forget it, I reread your post.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you are looking to buy a GPS you should take this offer. Just spend the money and get the subscription for the aerial maps and you are good to go.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Have you purchased from them before? Personally, I try to stick to the large well-known merchants even if it costs a few bucks more. Resellerratings.com gives gps4u a 6.5 out of 10 star rating. Looking more closely at that Amazon link, I see that it is sold by "geekdeal" and fulfilled by Amazon. I usually only buy stuff that is sold and shipped directly by Amazon myself, so "caveat emptor". Always do your homework before purchasing anything online. It's especially important to read and understand the exchange/return policy of the vendor.

Reactions: dogg57

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Have you purchased from them before? Personally, I try to stick to the large well-known merchants even if it costs a few bucks more. Resellerratings.com gives gps4u a 6.5 out of 10 star rating. Looking more closely at that Amazon link, I see that it is sold by "geekdeal" and fulfilled by Amazon. I usually only buy stuff that is sold and shipped directly by Amazon myself, so "caveat emptor". Always do your homework before purchasing anything online. It's especially important to read and understand the exchange/return policy of the vendor.
Yes I did my homework, 3 times I have ordered from these guys at it was 100% But you are so right to check on these guys I took a chance on 1st order.I like amazon alot most times I use them even if a little more money they (Amazon) have always back it up for me