ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Non-profits are a strange beast. No oversight at all on the state level, just need to file 990 IRS return. Pretty amazing as the PPA have net assets of over $1.4 million, oh my!

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Non-profits are a strange beast. No oversight at all on the state level, just need to file 990 IRS return. Pretty amazing as the PPA have net assets of over $1.4 million, oh my!

At a half a million dollars a year in salaries and benefits that won't last long with less funding.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reactions: WaretownMike

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We don't have a puking icon or I would use that.

We do now :D

vomit.gif

Reactions: smoke_jumper

JeepWagoneer

Scout
Jul 31, 2015
Medford NJ
If you want a good example of what the ppa wants to do throughout the Forrest, take a drive down Batsto fire line road starting on 206... I counted 14 or so trails blocked, All the vehicular access to the scenic overlooks and such are blocked as is just about every possible turn off all the way to Batsto.

Reactions: Greg OBrien

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I just saw on another site someone is dropping trees over the roads off 539. Has anyone seen this? This is the first I have heard of this.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I just saw on another site someone is dropping trees over the roads off 539. Has anyone seen this? This is the first I have heard of this.

I was below Warren Grove this morning and someone did indeed drop trees along one of the side roads leading in off of 539.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a chance that is a private road. Maybe not but more info is needed.

Outdoorgirl

Aug 2, 2015
Mullica
Maybe.. I came across these guys forum and I don't belong to a jeep club or anything, I belong to the peace and quiet and gotta eat club. Lol, but was over all impressed with the post that these guys have made, they have some valid concerns and solutions, I wish there was a way we all could come together! And all be heard!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Here is the thread on the site that Outdoorgirl posted.

Maybe.. I came across these guys forum and I don't belong to a jeep club or anything, I belong to the peace and quiet and gotta eat club. Lol, but was over all impressed with the post that these guys have made, they have some valid concerns and solutions, I wish there was a way we all could come together! And all be heard!

Yes, they are very articulate and they make sense. Those are the kinds of people who need to speak up against this.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This intersection was closed from both sides from three trees being dropped. There were more at one time laying across the road but someone else used a saw to open the road again. Definitely looks to be the same style of a clean cut from a chain saw. I think the situation has brought out some of the more radical activists. There is no way to get around these trees either, if you come up on them you have to reverse out! I was on foot walking back to my car when I came across the closing.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.676221385669166&lng=-74.3716575543213&z=17&type=hybrid&gpx=

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Judging from the firebreaks it is state land. Maybe they were trying to stop vehicles from getting in the little spung or swamp there???

Outdoorgirl

Aug 2, 2015
Mullica
Senator Christopher J Connors

Assemblyman Brian E. Rumpf

Assemblywomen DiAnne C. Gove

July 31, 2015

Re: Wharton State Forest Vehicle Access

Dear Senator and Assemblymen/women,

I am writing this letter to express my concern of recent decisions to close some of the roads in the Wharton State Forrest.

I am 61 years old and have been utilizing these roads for 4 decades several times a year.

It was my belief these areas were set aside for the public recreation and outdoor enthusiast. The recent development of the Parks and Forestry and NJDEP to close these roads without any public comment is simply amazing.

Where was the public comment for these actions? What would be the NJ administrative code to enforce these actions for non-compliance? How do you close a road with a legal right away?

As for all actions, you need balance, the closing of these roads simply are reactive due to a couple spoilers that abuse the roads with their monster mud trucks. Make regulations that limit these trucks but not for the general public.

Furthermore, the maintaining and grading of the dirt roads where abuse is happening may be beneficial to stop this abuse.

The closing of these roads is a direct assault on elderly people and people with disabilities that must use their vehicles to enjoy what I believed to be areas that were bought by tax payer money and to be set aside for future generations.

I may be reached at arowles@comcast.net should you need additional comments.

Respectfully,

Allen Rowles

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Judging from the firebreaks it is state land. Maybe they were trying to stop vehicles from getting in the little spung or swamp there???

From what I saw there is very little four wheel vehicle traffic back there. Both spungs are untouched and even if you wanted to it would be next to impossible to get through the trees to enter them.

Dropping a few trees at the location across the road made little sense to me. I just moseyed on by scratching my head in disbelief.