ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
More NJOA news:

NJOA: August 13, 2015

NJOA TO MEET WITH DEP REGARDING NEW JERSEY PARK SERVICE LAUNCH OF MOTORIZED ACCESS PLAN FOR WHARTON STATE FOREST.

NJOA is receiving a number of comments from outdoorsmen and women regarding the recent New Jersey Park Service launching of a Motorized Access Plan in Wharton State Forest. Many of the comments express concerns that are centered on access issues.

In response, NJOA has established a meeting with key DEP personnel to discuss access concerns and we will keep our stakeholders notified of progress. DEP is willing to entertain remedies while adhering to its mission to provide environmental integrity.

The launch was designed to mitigate or eliminate environmental damage caused by Off-Road Vehicles at Wharton State Forest. A press release from DEP can be found at the link that follows.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2015/15_0065.htm

Updates will follow. Thank you for your patience.

Help us to represent YOU! Please consider becoming an honorary member of NJOA.

clear1x1.gif

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you sure they are fully on the right side? Why would the DEP quickly give them a meeting unless they felt it was to their advantage?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I am relatively new to the NJOA, but from what I have seen so far they are about increasing access not decreasing,
We talked a little about this, what we have to be careful of is the DEP trying to cut an access deal with only the hunters. They are a powerful lobby and this would remove a lot of pressure. Other than that angle, I think our interests and the NJOA are aligned.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Wooohooo. That gate on Bryant road is really getting under my skin. I love that area all the way back to howardsville. I have never driven in that pit and nor do I ever care too. Isn't the pit nature conservancy land?

Pit is in Greenwood, just inside the borderline.

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
I want to thank Cherokee261 and all of the members of council in Medford Lakes for passing this resolution.

On a personal note ...that is only the second time since high school that I spoke in front of a group that I did not know. I find it very very uncomfortable. It is something I do not like doing and don't plan on doing again any time soon. Hopefully never.
Thank you Guy and everyone else who came out to speak in favor of the resolution, I am grateful for the time you took to travel here to do so. I was very pleased that my fellow council members also supported the resolution - it was a unanimous vote 5-0! One of my fellow council members took it a step further and moved a second resolution directing our clerk to forward a copy of this resolution to all towns in the area with a letter asking them to move it in their towns as well. I will post a copy here tomorrow so anyone who wants can follow up with their local elected officials.

In addition to the many supporters, there were also a number of folks who spoke out against the resolution, so it will be important to have a strong show of support in every town at their next meetings.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
We talked a little about this, what we have to be careful of is the DEP trying to cut an access deal with only the hunters. They are a powerful lobby and this would remove a lot of pressure. Other than that angle, I think our interests and the NJOA are aligned.

The NJOA is not just about hunters, but I understand what you are saying

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Attached is a copy of the resolution that passed in Medford Lakes. The borough will be sending a copy to surrounding towns, but please forward it to your local elected officials also and ask them to introduce a similar motion at their next meeting.

Great work. It is important that Tabernacle and Shamong follow Medford Lakes' lead on this as Wharton is in both. Woodland twp, Atco, Hammonton, Mullica, Greenbank, etc

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I have a connection to the Mayer through one of my occupations. I will contact her Monday morning.

Thanks. She listened to a rumor but didn't double check until after u asked:rolleyes: Their next meeting the 24th and the agenda probably won't be published until the Friday before. It could be on but until it's posted she's not 100% sure. She does works for Medford Borough and said that nobody has come in to complain about it yet.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica thinks they cut the trees down because the pope is coming to the pines and they need them blocked. Just saying ....