ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
My understanding from other sources is that the FAQ is legit, but don't think it has been officially released. Also, just a heads up, I spoke directly to the Lt. at District 1 and he confirmed that the current MAP is not being enforced. He basically told me that they are not concerned with where you are but rather what you are doing, so if you are respecting the forest, you are ok.

Are the roads posted with the little brown signs being enforced?

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My understanding from other sources is that the FAQ is legit, but don't think it has been officially released. Also, just a heads up, I spoke directly to the Lt. at District 1 and he confirmed that the current MAP is not being enforced. He basically told me that they are not concerned with where you are but rather what you are doing, so if you are respecting the forest, you are ok.

I would not count on what you were told, unless you have it in writing and it is signed and dated. Just sayin'.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I would go with don't drive over anything to get past the little brown signs and the debris that has been placed in the way. Until this is resolved with them I will go with respecting those signs.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I would go with don't drive over anything to get past the little brown signs and the debris that has been placed in the way. Until this is resolved with them I will go with respecting those signs.
Yes, I agee, I am respecting the closures right now and not suggesting that anyone doesn't, only pointing out that the DEP and SPP are not on the same page on this.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
During a drive down Batsto Fireline the other day, I noticed that one of the little brown signs was cut off at about 1 inch from the dirt to allow someone to drive back to the Lock's Bridge area. I don't think this is good for any group that is opposed to this closure and the resistance we are bringing to this MAP.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
During a drive down Batsto Fireline the other day, I noticed that one of the little brown signs was cut off at about 1 inch from the dirt to allow someone to drive back to the Lock's Bridge area. I don't think this is good for any group that is opposed to this closure and the resistance we are bringing to this MAP.
Agree, messing with the signs is a very bad idea.....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Well, regardless of who did it, you know what group will be blamed for it. It's best to abide by whatever signs posted, legal or not, and not become a target.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Yes, I agee, I am respecting the closures right now and not suggesting that anyone doesn't, only pointing out that the DEP and SPP are not on the same page on this.

Surprising to see that t
Well, regardless of who did it, you know what group will be blamed for it. It's best to abide by whatever signs posted, legal or not, and not become a target.

Agreed 100% sadly.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That happened last weekend. It was there Saturday morning and gone Sunday. But no tracks went by. This past Friday there were tracks going back there.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ

Agreed. The sad part is the ones that those signs are targeting are the ones that are destroying them. I even noticed some tracks going around one of the "blockades". With one tire in the woods and one going right over it.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Oh, and the FAQ on Al Horner's site is correct. I had a meeting with Rob Auermueller last Saturday (that I will get into later) but he did ask if I would post a link to it. He did want me to wait until it was re-printed with the DEP logo so that it looked legit (supposed to be today), but I was handed a printed out copy of it.

In the interest of fairness I offered Rob an opportunity to explain his side on my site. Since he is technically not allowed to make a statement like that (has to go through the DEP's communications office) he asked me to post a link to the FAQ.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It would be almost impossible for them to patrol all of the park and they have other things to do that harrass lets say a senior citizen. Plus, I am pretty certain from things that I know myself that the Park Police are not friends with the Superentendent.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

That is an excellent response to her article. You have done well! I got a chuckle at the link to the petition. It just won't go away :D

Guy

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
It would be almost impossible for them to patrol all of the park and they have other things to do that harrass lets say a senior citizen. Plus, I am pretty certain from things that I know myself that the Park Police are not friends with the Superentendent.

I truely believe that the park police are going about business as usual. They are only going to use this map when needed. Id be willing to bet if you were on a road that's on Google Maps they won't bat an eye. Even if it's off limits. Unless they feel you were abusing the road. Plain and simple the map, and even signs for that matter, are not going to stop people from abusing the forest. I'm afraid this is just one step closer to motor vehicles prohibited.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You may be correct. This does show the need for all of us to be more aware of what is going on out there.