ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Greg OBrien

Scout
Mar 22, 2011
I'm not a soil guy, but it reminds me of the intermediate layers seen in quarries along the coast (Atlantic, Ocean, Cumberland Co.) before you get down to the pure white aquifer sand.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The following was posted on the Tabernacle Facebook page this morning.

This is the reponse from my letter on closing of some of the roads in Wharton State Forrest from Senator Conners

Senator Response.jpg

Reactions: Greg OBrien

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Wednesday, August 05, 2015
PineyPower - All About the Pine Barrens of NJ!

Over the past few weeks, there have been “rumblings” about the closure of some of the side roads throughout Wharton State Forest, so I decided to call Superintendent Rob Auermuller at Wharton’s headquarters in Batsto Village. Rob was happy to take the time to talk to me, as he had done for countless callers. The way I understood it, Wharton was awarded a federal grant for the sugar sand State road repairs and improvements, contingent upon the creation of a road/trail map of the forest. The narrow side roads/trails to be used by hikers, bicyclists or equestrian traffic are to be marked as such, with blockades that restrict entry by motorized vehicles. ALL MAIN SUGAR SAND/DIRT ROADS WILL REMAIN OPEN!
Obviously, a side product of this restriction will attempt to stop the horrendous destruction of some areas of the forest by that small percentage of visitors who have no regard for the plants and animals, many of which are endangered. More than likely, if you’re reading this, it’s not you doing this damage and you feel that you’re being punished for what these selfish, uncaring lunatics are doing when they turn a delicate wetland into a dead swamp of mud where nothing will survive. Unfortunately, you are but it’s not that much different than, for example, the enhanced security measures that are taken each time you fly, because of a small group of people that are heartless killers. Yes, it’s incredibly inconvenient to have the restrictions, but it is for the greater good.
Instead of working against the protection of the Pine Barrens, why not help? Be the eyes and ears for the limited staff and report any damage, dumping or other inappropriate behavior to either the Batsto office (609-561-0024) or the Atsion Ranger Station (609-268-0444). Talk to Rob Auermuller to see in what other ways, either individually or as a group, you can effect positive change instead of complaining about how inconvenient it is with the current restrictions. (Rob is currently on vacation but should be back soon.) To those of you who work tirelessly and often without thanks, please know you ARE appreciated for among other things, the tons of "other people's garbage" you pick up on a regular basis. The Piney Gods are smiling down on you!

This interactive map shows some of the damage done within the Pine Barrens and most noticeably, Wharton State Forest. Please take the time to click through and take a look at the photos of just some of the damage. . . the damage that needs to be stopped.
End of rant. Thanks for reading.
http://arcg.is/1TmZ4Ao

Related post
http://gadfly01.blogspot.com/2015/07/wharton-state-forest-roads-being-closed.html

at 1:31 AM

Home
View web version

Ok, I'm not sure which angle you are coming from but I'm going to take a stab at this one. Most of the rumblings you got over the last few weeks were probably started from this forum. Talking to Rob was a good start as many did here (and still are). I would find it hard to believe that nobody here believes there is ORV problem in the Wharton. With that said I doubt anyone here feels these closures are even a start of the solution. I don't need BS map that shows me where the damage is. Take that interactive map and overlay the current closures are and they don't match up. If you buy into the hype that its a small price to pay to prevent the next area to be destroyed, I have a bridge to sell you. I doubt ANYONE will claim to know the future if you hold them to it. Closing these roads does 0% to helping the ORV problem. You mention calling to report violations but if I'm there less people out in the pines because we have to walk in now how can we do that. There are huge logistical problems on top of it. Is it possible to sent a ranger down West Mill Road for an hour each way just to patrol it. That's if it has been repaired, as far as I know it's still impassable but I haven't tried in 10 years or so. As far as closing "minor" roads that's also a crock. East Stokes Road has pretty much been there longer than this country has been founded and parts of it have been closed. I could sit here and pick this map apart but that's not the point. If we sit here and blindly follow a bad plan it's just as bad as following no plan at all. Logistically speaking there is no way that this plan, from what has been shown so far, can stop what's been going on over the years. This is not Camden. They aren't going to bring in State Troopers to curb the violence. What is step 2 in this fight if is actually is against illegal ORV. I notice MANY roads that are now closed that were created by either the FFS or for research. Blaming Illegal ORV for them is an outright lie. This doesn't even seem like a preservation vs conservation argument since it benefits neither side in the long run. The longer this topic stays alive in the publics eye the better chance it has of actually doing some good for the pines which is ultimately what we all want.

Reactions: Greg OBrien

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm not going to bother going on the PineyPower Facebook page to write a rebuttal to this, but I'll do it here.

Over the past few weeks, there have been “rumblings” about the closure of some of the side roads throughout Wharton State Forest, so I decided to call Superintendent Rob Auermuller at Wharton’s headquarters in Batsto Village. Rob was happy to take the time to talk to me, as he had done for countless callers. The way I understood it, Wharton was awarded a federal grant for the sugar sand State road repairs and improvements, contingent upon the creation of a road/trail map of the forest. The narrow side roads/trails to be used by hikers, bicyclists or equestrian traffic are to be marked as such, with blockades that restrict entry by motorized vehicles. ALL MAIN SUGAR SAND/DIRT ROADS WILL REMAIN OPEN!

I think there's more than rumblings. It's more like an earthquake. This is a huge game changer that will change the character of the forest forever.

Wharton may have been awarded a grant, but was closing the roads part of a condition of the grant? Or was it just the creation of the map. I've filed an OPRA request to get a copy of that grant so we can actually get some facts.

With regards to the "main sugar sand" roads, that's like closing every street in New Jersey but leaving only the highways open.

Obviously, a side product of this restriction will attempt to stop the horrendous destruction of some areas of the forest by that small percentage of visitors who have no regard for the plants and animals, many of which are endangered. More than likely, if you’re reading this, it’s not you doing this damage and you feel that you’re being punished for what these selfish, uncaring lunatics are doing when they turn a delicate wetland into a dead swamp of mud where nothing will survive. Unfortunately, you are

Ok, so you admit that this is a flawed policy but you're okay with thousands and thousands of people being "punished" because of the actions of a few? How about the roads that don't go through delicate wetlands? Why are they closed?

but it’s not that much different than, for example, the enhanced security measures that are taken each time you fly, because of a small group of people that are heartless killers. Yes, it’s incredibly inconvenient to have the restrictions, but it is for the greater good.

That is absolutely the most asinine metaphor ever. When you go through the pain of TSA screening you're allowed to fly. Here it'd be like getting screened, the TSA agent not finding anything, and still not being allowed to fly. "Oh well, it's because of these terrorists that you can't fly at all now." Does that line make any sense?

Instead of working against the protection of the Pine Barrens, why not help? Be the eyes and ears for the limited staff and report any damage, dumping or other inappropriate behavior to either the Batsto office (609-561-0024) or the Atsion Ranger Station (609-268-0444). Talk to Rob Auermuller to see in what other ways, either individually or as a group, you can effect positive change instead of complaining about how inconvenient it is with the current restrictions. (Rob is currently on vacation but should be back soon.) To those of you who work tirelessly and often without thanks, please know you ARE appreciated for among other things, the tons of "other people's garbage" you pick up on a regular basis. The Piney Gods are smiling down on you!

It is absolutely insulting to say that people who are against this ban are against protecting the Pine Barrens. Considering that a large number of well respected environmentalists on this site are also against this ban that logic makes no sense. And how much damage and dumping would people come across if they're only limited to the main roads?

This interactive map shows some of the damage done within the Pine Barrens and most noticeably, Wharton State Forest. Please take the time to click through and take a look at the photos of just some of the damage. . . the damage that needs to be stopped.

Related post
http://gadfly01.blogspot.com/2015/07/wharton-state-forest-roads-being-closed.html

Agreed. But tackling this problem could have been done in a way that protected the rights of the public while going after the people who damage the Pine Barrens. Closing the roads is taking the easy way out, and at the end of the day, will not do anything to deter ORV damage but will deter thousands from even going into Wharton.

All of the people who are saying that the road closures are great are people who have benefited over the years from having those roads open. How many historic sites have we all been to that are no longer practical to reach? Or is the prevailing attitude now "Screw you, I got to go to these sites. Sorry you can't!" Because that is what it sounds like to me. How small and selfish.

Outdoorgirl

Aug 2, 2015
Mullica
Ok, I'm not sure which angle you are coming from but I'm going to take a stab at this one. Most of the rumblings you got over the last few weeks were probably started from this forum. Talking to Rob was a good start as many did here (and still are). I would find it hard to believe that nobody here believes there is ORV problem in the Wharton. With that said I doubt anyone here feels these closures are even a start of the solution. I don't need BS map that shows me where the damage is. Take that interactive map and overlay the current closures are and they don't match up. If you buy into the hype that its a small price to pay to prevent the next area to be destroyed, I have a bridge to sell you. I doubt ANYONE will claim to know the future if you hold them to it. Closing these roads does 0% to helping the ORV problem. You mention calling to report violations but if I'm there less people out in the pines because we have to walk in now how can we do that. There are huge logistical problems on top of it. Is it possible to sent a ranger down West Mill Road for an hour each way just to patrol it. That's if it has been repaired, as far as I know it's still impassable but I haven't tried in 10 years or so. As far as closing "minor" roads that's also a crock. East Stokes Road has pretty much been there longer than this country has been founded and parts of it have been closed. I could sit here and pick this map apart but that's not the point. If we sit here and blindly follow a bad plan it's just as bad as following no plan at all. Logistically speaking there is no way that this plan, from what has been shown so far, can stop what's been going on over the years. This is not Camden. They aren't going to bring in State Troopers to curb the violence. What is step 2 in this fight if is actually is against illegal ORV. I notice MANY roads that are now closed that were created by either the FFS or for research. Blaming Illegal ORV for them is an outright lie. This doesn't even seem like a preservation vs conservation argument since it benefits neither side in the long run. The longer this topic stays alive in the publics eye the better chance it has of actually doing some good for the pines which is ultimately what we all want.
I'm on the side of I want our woods back!!!! This was posted on lar
This was posted on larry angel gadfly, I was just sharing, it was posted by piney power , I am as in as much dismay as the next person, and have done my part to voicing my concern about the abrupt closing of these roads.. I just wish there was away to stop all the finger pointing and shifting blame and could get an honest answer as to why this took place the way it did.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Obviously, a side product of this restriction will attempt to stop the horrendous destruction of some areas of the forest by that small percentage of visitors who have no regard for the plants and animals, many of which are endangered. More than likely, if you’re reading this, it’s not you doing this damage and you feel that you’re being punished for what these selfish, uncaring lunatics are doing when they turn a delicate wetland into a dead swamp of mud where nothing will survive. Unfortunately, you are but it’s not that much different than, for example, the enhanced security measures that are taken each time you fly, because of a small group of people that are heartless killers. Yes, it’s incredibly inconvenient to have the restrictions, but it is for the greater good.

Related post

at 1:31 AM

Home
View web version

I am curious about the different reaction that Rob had in this discussion as compared to the response another received when asked about an open forum meeting. Does anyone else see the difference?
And where can we find out the information for this grant money that is referred to concerning this plan? I would like to see the stipulation in black and white concerning the need to create a trail system as a condition of receiving this grant.
We kind of already knew that the main roads are staying open based upon prior posting/conversations.
And we did discuss self policing at our meeting on Sunday for those people that are doing donuts in front of the church on Quaker and stupid stuff like that.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
My wife just forwarded me this letter and I was going to post it here. What did you think of the letter?

I think it is the obvious place for the senator to start. He cannot directly fix the issue but he can push the right buttons. We have been wondering how to contact the NJDEP and he fixed that for us and it comes from his office. This may be the first time he heard of the closures just like the rest of us. We don't know what went on behind closed doors.
I am ready to send my letter. I used the form letter posted by SuperChooch as a guide but wrote it in a very personal way. I have to at least try.

once again, the form letter. Post 160.
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...ive-areas-of-wharton.10649/page-8#post-127763

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was worried that they might be bringing in invasive species from fill outside the pines. The Pinelands Commission would disagree with non-native soil.

I mentioned that in a previous post. We can't bring firewood but they can bring dirt.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm not going to bother going on the PineyPower Facebook page to write a rebuttal to this, but I'll do it here.

Those comments are abismal and insulting. Not even worth reading.

Guy