Parker Update

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Sunday morning we decided to take our walk at Parker Southgate since we haven't been there since last fall. We wanted to hike the east side yellow/ blue trail and see the Teachers Cabin. I parked and before we could turn off the engine we were swarmed by flies. No way, so we went to the west side and the same thing, so we went off to Northgate. Not so many files so lets go see the suspension bridge. Now I am swatting flies but am not going crazy.
Maps were available, which is always nice to know where the dykes are cut. We took the green trail down the airstrip and continued to the Wading. The first thing we noticed is that all of what used to be bogs had water flowing through them. The pines that had been growing up in them were all brown. There used to be a trail along the Wading from the bench to the bridge but it was impassible due to the water. A culvert was passing the water but the chicklett road was dry so we made it to the bridge. The water under it was stagnant, it wasn't always so.
We then continued on the green trail until a short cut that goes back to the air strip. There is a chicklit section there but it was a river. That stuff is hard enough to walk on when you can see it, but dangerous when you can't.
The flow rivaled the Skit. Back track we did. The trails were mowed but we all got chiggered. I did hear a couple of turtles and saw a Blue Heron and a Snowy Egret, so I guess some wildlife survived the carnage.

Publication1.jpg

Chicklets
P1050595s.jpg