Photo Archives--Forked River Mountain Coalition

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes Ted, you are close enough.

However the slide is labeled "East Plains". Coyle Field is the West Plains. We really won't know for sure, but I have been to a hilltop east of the red road and above Warren Grove that looks like the one in the photo. Then again, she could have assumed she was in the east plains and mislabeled the slide.

Elizabeth would not have made such a mistake. East Plains or "little plains'' off Beaver Dam Road west of Warren Grove on the FAA Communication Towers site was my second guess. I've done extensive survey work for the FAA over more than 25 years on that site and noticed at one time some 20 large pole towers many with concrete block counter balances attached. Many of these (if not all) were some time ago cut down.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Elizabeth would not have made such a mistake.

I don't know Ted, I make mistakes all the time. Nobody is perfect. Did you happen to notice that somebody labeled the Sim Place aerial photo Hog Wallow? That is one huge mistake--mislabeling an area of 30 square miles.

Also, maybe someone else labeled it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Slide 15--1973--From fire tower by Forked River Mountains prior to removal to rt. 539.

Total.PNG

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is without a doubt the tower where you saved Mike Baker's ass.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Slide 17--May 1977. Yes, you are both correct Gibby and Guy. Now, the below slide was hard to try and clean up, but it tells a story they wanted to tell back then. It is entitled footprints. You can barely see the object of their photography. I was there for the first time about 2 years later. When I was there they had a crude walkway of boards set up.

17.PNG

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Slide 18--1973. These go together. I hereby make no assertion as to proper identification of the flower species, even after you identify it. I will award 25 points if you get the title of the flower correct (as listed on the slide), and 75 points for the approximate location (i.e, name of the road).

18e.PNG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting! That building in the back may be a good clue.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I think I may know, but I don't want to disclose the location I am thinking of publicly.

-It is more of a guess.