Pine Barren Flora

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found the plate in Penn State Forest. I have an idea about that.

antler.JPG
burnvista.JPG
caterp2.JPG
dwellingshot.JPG
fly.JPG
orchids.JPG
pbbrothers.JPG
plate.JPG

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Bob; All great pictures. Your out doing me. The picture of the stream appears to be either the Cook Branch or Westecunk Creek across from the bombing range. Both have stony bottoms that gives me the appearance of trout streams in the pines.

Reactions: bobpbx and johnnyb

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What general area was the Quarter Master Corps plate at?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I don't know about Penn State Forest, but I read that the CCC Camp at Bass River was active until 1942. They were administered by the US Army. Then again, there was a major 5-day military maneuver that took place at Penn State Forest in 1941. It was to simulate an invasion by a foreign power. But I wouldn't think the troops would be using plates like that out in the field. The CCC could have still been present at that time.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Bob where is the pond with a fence? I have never seen that before. That picture of that pond or old bog is with the green grass is nice. I was in the same one and it was nothing but mud and a puddle about 2 years ago.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't know about Penn State Forest, but I read that the CCC Camp at Bass River was active until 1942. They were administered by the US Army. Then again, there was a major 5-day military maneuver that took place at Penn State Forest in 1941. It was to simulate an invasion by a foreign power. But I wouldn't think the troops would be using plates like that out in the field. The CCC could have still been present at that time.

Thanks for that info! I'll go back some day and look around. I left the plate right there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob where is the pond with a fence? I have never seen that before. That picture of that pond or old bog is with the green grass is nice. I was in the same one and it was nothing but mud and a puddle about 2 years ago.

Yes, that pond is the feather-bed branch, where the branch begins up by the railroad.

Here is the location for that fence. Odd, first thing came to mind was somebody was penning snappers for sale.

It's about, oh, 50 yards upstream from the road.

upload_2017-8-3_22-33-32.png

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Bob, thanks for posting all these beautiful pictures. I've been laid up for awhile (seriously ill, it was close), but am almost back to normal, and aching to get out in the pines. I looked at every picture from this thread today, and really just enjoyed every one. I'll be out in the woods on my own in a few weeks. Can't wait! Thanks again! Greg

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob, thanks for posting all these beautiful pictures. I've been laid up for awhile (seriously ill, it was close), but am almost back to normal, and aching to get out in the pines. I looked at every picture from this thread today, and really just enjoyed every one. I'll be out in the woods on my own in a few weeks. Can't wait! Thanks again! Greg

Sorry to hear you have been sick. It is good news you are getting well. Seems like your family has had a rough time recently.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I hope you recover well, and I'm glad the photos gave you some hope for future explorations.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
is the boggy areas yellow fringed? and damp woods golden crested?

Al, they are the same species: Platanthera cristata (crested-fringe orchid). It's just that they seem to respond differently to different habitat in my experience.

PS: I want to add that in the future, I plan to cut one flower off from each for comparison. Maybe I'm missing something. With the Platanthera genus, it's more important to look at the flower than the rest of the plant when discriminating different species.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
I found ( Thanks to someone marking them with orange flags ) I believe is Green Wood Orchid. I used Boyd's book Wildflowers of the pine barrens to ID it, so if I'm wrong let me know.
IMG_5860.JPG
IMG_5866-1.jpg
IMG_5871.JPG
IMG_5871-1.jpg