Pine Barrens in for late season hurricane or big northeaster?

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I'm updating my site periodically and have already received over 1,000 views. There are folks at Toms River HS. STILL in wet socks and shoes from being rescued. They are in need of feminine hygiene products, socks, shoes, clothes, blankets, batteries etc.

Trying to help out as much as I can before I head to the shore tomorrow. People are still in dire need.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is pretty scary. Iran wants to deploy a rescue team to us.

Well that's very nice of them, considering they caused the hurricane themselves. :rolleyes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...hnology-behind-hurricane-sandy_n_2049879.html

"Sources confirmed to us that Hurricane Sandy that is slamming the U.S. was set off by highly advanced technologies developed by the heroic Iranian regime that supports the resistance, with coordination of our resistive Syrian regime," reads the Facebook post of the News Network of the Syrian Armed Forces, according to a CNN translation.

The message, which was posted Monday, went on to say the superstorm's damage was "punishment for whoever dares to attack Syria's (Bashar) al-Assad and threaten peace and stability."

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
Damn that fall must have caused a short circuit in the protective tinfoil. Maybe a combination of spilled cool aid reacting with the tin. Well at least we won't have to worry about the nukes anymore:beerspill:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Went to the Cumberland Mall area in Millville yesterday, also drove through Peaslee WMA. You would never know anything happened. Didn't see a single downed tree, no flooding, all the stores were open, no lines at the gas station. I was amazed.

My thoughts are with those of you who have suffered during this terrible storm. I hope you are all safe, that's the most important thing. It may take awhile, but property can be replaced and repaired.
been driving around Bevan over here,this is why I thought it was a sissy storm,apparently cumberland county that was in ground 0 somehow escaped all but minor scrapes.There is flood damage down here near the bay but hardly any wind damage at all.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am so sorry to hear of the losses for friends to the north and along the shore. I only arrived back in the Sates last night, but when overseas used this blog to gauge what was going on back home. My wife and daughter did a great job of preparing for the worst. Western Atlantic County seems pretty much unscathed. It appears that the area most affected by last summer’s derecho had the least amount of damage from Sandy’s fury. Perhaps June’s storm weeded out the weakest trees? We had a bathroom ceiling leak, but that was related to wind damage that occurred during the derecho. It is hard to find someone who knows how to repair a metal roof.

S-M
I had two dead pines in my yard that I was disappointed the Derecho did not bring down.Well Sandy got em,at least half way down,their stuck leaning in a nice big oak that is still healthy. I was afraid to drop them myself because they could easily have hit the electric lines,Well they went the other way but now am at a loss how to drop a leaning tree without becoming a casualty myself.Sounds like a job fro my little Brudda and his big chainsaw.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well it took longer than I expected, but the s**m-bag looters have showed up. Apparently they are getting over to the barrier island in boats, probably stealing from all the ones laying around. The gasoline syphoner's will be next. Authorities now carrying HD weapons, as are the local police. I spoke with our local cop, he said to carry ID and a recent utility bill, plus at least $10 cash if out and about. Seemed like common sense advice to me. Youngest son will be working heavy equipment for FEMA beginning tomorrow at the Seaside cleanup, so we will be getting some unhyped info.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had two dead pines in my yard that I was disappointed the Derecho did not bring down.Well Sandy got em,at least half way down,their stuck leaning in a nice big oak that is still healthy. I was afraid to drop them myself because they could easily have hit the electric lines,Well they went the other way but now am at a loss how to drop a leaning tree without becoming a casualty myself.Sounds like a job fro my little Brudda and his big chainsaw.

I've got 3 that snapped, 2 about 12 ft off the ground, 1 three quarters up and are hung up in other trees, one is hanging over the shed. Called several tree guys, finally found one that will be around once his emergency list is taken care of, probably this weekenc. He was down the block lifting one off the neighbors crushed Toyota. All the rest we spoke with said about 4-6 weeks.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Well it took longer than I expected, but the s**m-bag looters have showed up. Apparently they are getting over to the barrier island in boats, probably stealing from all the ones laying around. The gasoline syphoner's will be next. Authorities now carrying HD weapons, as are the local police. I spoke with our local cop, he said to carry ID and a recent utility bill, plus at least $10 cash if out and about. Seemed like common sense advice to me. Youngest son will be working heavy equipment for FEMA beginning tomorrow at the Seaside cleanup, so we will be getting some unhyped info.
Sorry to hear that,with the looters.Knew it was coming but hope that it would not. Good luck to you

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
is that house leaning or is that the camera angle?

The house is leaning

5bq0g07gso-0-full-jpg.2878

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
All these photos, especially the ones in BarrensMike's link, really tell the tale of the true devastation that many of us fortunately avoided. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those folks whose lives were ravaged by Sandy.

John-

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Well it took longer than I expected, but the s**m-bag looters have showed up.

The s**m-bag looters are going through this area too. Earlier, I received a call from a good samaritan, who saw the element backing a pickup through our shop gate. Luck was on our side and the thieves left with nothing. Six of the eight security cameras caught them in action. The power has been back on but the storm damaged several bulbs making the business appear vulnerable. The Hamilton police where smiling when I placed the DVD of the video surveillance that was captured in their hands.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
It has been an incredibly crazy last few days. I hope everyone is well, warm, and with those they love. I dropped off more supplies today. I have had a ton of friends show support/donations and have even received donations via PayPal from friends. I went to the store today. Got lots of supplies and dropped them off. I really want to thank those who have given. It has been really a blessing seeing folks come together.

Now I'm off to have some fine spirits!!

I have repeatedly updated my website and continually keep adding drop off locations other area if anyone is interested.

God bless and take care!!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I devised a bunch of links on my site if people would like to volunteer their time and effort for NYC and NJ as well as links to a few Flickr accounts and a blogger of pictures of the devastation.

Two start up volunteer organizations. The one in NJ is based out of Toms River. They are gathering folks for a big clean up this weekend at the shore if interested. The Toms River crew has just been donated space out of a tanning salon. However, they are organizing a large volunteer effort of local residents.

http://yummygal.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/how-to-help-with-hurricane-sandy/

What you are doing is awesome.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Thanks NJ Chilehead! Made another drop-off today. My town has really rallied together and given all they can to those who need it! Now off to dinner with the hubs! I think I'm done for a bit. However, people keep wanting to drop things off and more than happy to assist. FYI, Valenzano Winery is MATCHING any monetary donations. Plus, offering a drop off site to those in shelters in the Toms River Area. Power is starting to come back on day by day to the state. Things are still rough, but at least starting to come together a bit. Heee Haaaaw!

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hahahaha! 5 Drop Offs Later (yup, yesterday was my last and final) and I'm done. All of my friends and community REALLY pulled together (I love all of them and well... they love me :) ). I think they are doing pretty good with supplies. Just mostly needed is cleaning supplies now. It will take awhile for them to turn around. I'm done with the collection though!!! Hahaha. Yummygal/Pineywoman is now leaving for a new adventure this weekend! It's going to be a blast!!! Take care everyone. I won't be on here so much. Heading back to work in one more week!