Pine Barrens in for late season hurricane or big northeaster?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The most surprising part of the storm, in this area, was the wind damage. It is terrible. Trees, houses, roofs, and entire lines of telephone poles destroyed. The power went out just before 4pm Sunday afternoon. All night the sky was lit by flashes of transformers and wires arcing. The loud buzz of arcing high amperage lines could be heard following the bright blue flashes off of the stormy sky.
There was very little rain, or it never reached the surface. Instead, in could have been sheared by the wind and turned into a fine mist. An odd artifact of the storm was that all the leaves were pulverized into mulch. The wind made up for what never happened with the flooding.
Fifty-eight hours with out power. My worries seem petty now that I am back in touch with what has happened with in the state. I was just consumed with what happened local and wasn't aware of what damage had taken place. No television, no internet, just a stranger asking if we had heard. I was too busy and focused on beginning to clean up. Being ignorant has its benefits at times...

Reactions: glowordz

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Went to the Cumberland Mall area in Millville yesterday, also drove through Peaslee WMA. You would never know anything happened. Didn't see a single downed tree, no flooding, all the stores were open, no lines at the gas station. I was amazed.

My thoughts are with those of you who have suffered during this terrible storm. I hope you are all safe, that's the most important thing. It may take awhile, but property can be replaced and repaired.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah were I live there was very few signs of anything other then a wet beginning of the week. South of AC inland I think the august derecho was far worse. North of AC and its pretty bad, I was actually suprised how bad it was, my thoughts are with those people.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Anyone know how island beach state park held up?

From what we can see from the mainland, fairly well, probably better than the developed area's. The Coast Guard maintenance building is still there, as are the bathing pavilions, administration building and the bay houses. Not sure what condition they are in, but their roofs are visible. Cannot se CG Station 112. The rest nature took care of. No one but emergency folks are allowed on the barrier islands.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I am so sorry to hear of the losses for friends to the north and along the shore. I only arrived back in the Sates last night, but when overseas used this blog to gauge what was going on back home. My wife and daughter did a great job of preparing for the worst. Western Atlantic County seems pretty much unscathed. It appears that the area most affected by last summer’s derecho had the least amount of damage from Sandy’s fury. Perhaps June’s storm weeded out the weakest trees? We had a bathroom ceiling leak, but that was related to wind damage that occurred during the derecho. It is hard to find someone who knows how to repair a metal roof.

S-M

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I It is hard to find someone who knows how to repair a metal roof.

S-M

It all depends on the type of roof. We had a metal roof on our cabin, it was the standing seam type, see the picture. They can be temporarily patched on the flat portion, but it's a whole other thing of the seam is leaking. I would suggest you contact a metal roof distributer of your type of roof for a repair reference.

14953897.jpg

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone whose life has changed forever because of this tragedy.
Totally agree. I went through Salem County the other day and just looked like a small storm came through nothing big at all. I was in Philly today and nada. Hoboken, Newark, the Delaware Bay Towns and NJ coastline are in terrible shape. NYC is coming together and a nice rally is going on. It's crazy how certain areas have been unscathed. I'm heading down this weekend to help the inlaws out with their home at the shore. Shelters are doing good. It looks like the folks are doing okay under the circumstances. They are in need of blankets because of the weather getting colder and have collected some for folks and will drop off.

A lot of old folks are retired year round at the shore and have lost everything. It is so sad. Hopefully, I can do my part and chip in.

Glad everyone is safe!! I don't ever want to hear the word "Hunker Down" again, though!!

Reactions: glowordz

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Anyone hear from German?

I dodged the bullet Guy. Water came within three houses of ours. I had trees down but nothing serious. We just got our electric back last night so I've been off the web (no smart phone). Several friends and many neighbors lost their houses. I have three friends of my children living with me for the time being. The parks got hit hard, which was no surprise. I've been on tree removal detail for the last two days and for who knows how long into the future. We stopped counting downed trees after the first several hundred. Wells Mills will be closed for the time being, until the trails have been checked and cleared of hazards. Very sorry to hear about Ben's home, as well as all others affected by the storm.

Reactions: pineywoman

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
It all depends on the type of roof...They can be temporarily patched on the flat portion, but it's a whole other thing of the seam is leaking.

46er,

Grrr... It is a seam that leaks, one just above the stack pipe affecting the bathroom roof window below. The wife and I designed and built this timber-frame saltbox with the Pine Barrens fire history in mind: metal roof, concrete HardiePlank® lap siding, and polyisocyanurate stress-skin wall panals. The 8" X 14" oak structural timbers are joined without nails. It was great fun to have the fire inspector complain that there was nothing to burn!

S-M

P2061608.jpg

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
The fine upscale residents of Haddonfield had a few trees come down while the people at the shore lost everything. However....they want to be bumped up the list for power restoration.

http://haddon.patch.com/articles/ha...r-power-restoration?ncid=newsltuspatc00000003
Haha!

PSE&G is doing the best they can, considering the circumstances. They go down a list of priorities. I have a friend that has been working non-stop with them and were well prepared for this storm, but there is only so much they can do.

Power should be the least of everyone's worries. I was without for a few days and survived and planned on being without it for more. The human race has survived centuries and centuries without it. There are others in much more dire need. We aren't at freezing levels yet. They'll get there when they get there.

It's sad they would waste an effort even posting something like this!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Here is an idea jackass from haddonfield, park your car away from the big tree. I have a big tree at my house next to h-field and my cars where parked away from the tree. Lots of selfish people that can't look past themselves and their silly situation. People need to get a grip, there are others who lost their entire house and not just some material possession.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I devised a bunch of links on my site if people would like to volunteer their time and effort for NYC and NJ as well as links to a few Flickr accounts and a blogger of pictures of the devastation.

Two start up volunteer organizations. The one in NJ is based out of Toms River. They are gathering folks for a big clean up this weekend at the shore if interested. The Toms River crew has just been donated space out of a tanning salon. However, they are organizing a large volunteer effort of local residents.

http://yummygal.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/how-to-help-with-hurricane-sandy/

BarrensMike

Aug 30, 2012
I feel EXTREMELY lucky having only had about 1.5 days of no power in Manchester (the most "difficult" time I experienced was having to go outside to grill my Tuesday-morning pot of coffee).

My sister didnt have it so easy though, living 1 street in from the bay on the mainland-side right near the Seaside Bridge. I went with her yesterday to survey the damage & start the cleanup: [EDIT photo moved]

I can't even imagine what it must be like for people out on the islands. This is satellite shots of Mantoloking Inlet, Seaside Heights, Ortley Beach, and Normandy Beach before-and-after the hurricane (scroll your mouse right-to-left over the pics):
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/before_and_after_sandy_photos.html