Sawmill Locations

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just checked the area out and I think your going to have to find an earlier map then anything Ben or Boyd have on site. Here is the top link on Boyds maps https://online.boydsmaps.com/#15/39.8437/-75.0547/njgin24k-x I went back on on the old maps and even the 1931 aerial and see no evidence of a mill pond.Now a saw mill wouldn't have a pond if thats what you speaking of and no evidence that would be visible from an aerial.It would have to be named on a map or evidence found on the ground.If it is a grist mill you seek I"d think you might find evidence of the old dam walking the creek. Boyds Lidar HD covers this area and I see no evidence on there pf an earthen dam either. That would be here if you havent learned to toggle the maps yet. https://online.boydsmaps.com/#16/39.8421/-75.0514/lidarHD-x Sorry i haven't been any help.I think you need older maps.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, I would think a smart mill owner may have a pond, why not? If you build a raceway, it would serve you well in good times and bad.
I checked the maps on the links Ben just posted and I see no signs of a pond on Otter Branch.I also see no signs of a raceway of a dam either on LIDAR.I think the mill West Jersey may be looking for may just be a sawmill.Perhpas there was cedar on Otter Brook at one time? Those maps on Cumberland County are right nice though.Just noticed an old school house I never knew about at the junction of Silver Run rd and Buckshutem.There is a bungalow there now.

Jul 2, 2019
Glendora New Jersey
Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate yous taking your time to help look. I tried lidar and about every historical map / satellite viewers i could come across and agree about seeing no signs of a mill race or pond. Theres 1 or two interesting spots i saw under the lidar view but think if there was any structures or man-made soil disturbances we would have definitely seen them.

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Bringing back this thread to post this photo that Bob sent to me recently. This is hanging in the Wells Mill Park building.

image001-1.jpg

Last edited:

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Upstairs at the Wells Mills park building is also a small map/drawing of Union Clay Works. That is how I learned about it and found it. For the record, there are no gravesites on the map

Reactions: Ben Ruset and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you find the steam engine site or the semi open field?

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
The steam engine sat where those long threaded rods are sticking up by the first pond? Checked out the field, numerous celler holes on both sides of road, kiln locations and the well.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Every time I stop at the well I expect to see a dead deer or animal in it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you find the metal pipe that is not far off the main road heading to the steam engine site that was for the original Short Horn Buck Club?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, does anyone know the location of the concrete base in the above photo?